Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TheAdMan One word is all i require - 10/07/02 10:36 AM
My dad (and i won't be defeated) has challeneged me to find the one word in the english language that contains three sets of alphabetically consecutive letter pairs. I.e. ab or jk. Does anyone have a clue?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: One word is all i require - 10/07/02 02:24 PM
one word?? according to whose dictionary?

well, fwiw, here's a clue:
plug de*no*st into OneLook
or try: abst* and peruse the results (or ab*st - this one reveals a six-letter word!)

Posted By: TheAdMan Re: One word is all i require - 10/07/02 03:04 PM
To be honest I hadn't done much research myself. Thanks for the tip though. I will have words with my dad

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: One word is all i require - 10/07/02 03:17 PM
I suppose abstentionist doesn't count because the st pair is used twice. Presumably you mean three unique pairs of alphabetically consecutive letters.

Posted By: Faldage Re: One word is all i require - 10/07/02 03:19 PM
won't be defeated

You might want to define your terms, too. If they don't have to be in alphabetical order, if a letter can be in two runs and they don't have to be three different pairs defeated qualifies. In fact it has four pairs.

defeated
defeated
defeated
defeated

But, I suppose, if he insists it's unique.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: One word is all i require - 10/07/02 03:26 PM
Maybe if we hired some ghostwriters they could find the word for us. And if they are successful it would be demonstrably delightable. (Rather obsolete I admit. We should probably abstrude "delightable" from the search. After all, if we came up with too many words [thanks to the OneLook dictionary] it might destabilize your relationship with your father, which would be understandably detestable.)
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: One word is all i require - 10/07/02 04:10 PM
abdest \Ab"dest\, n. [Per. [=a]bdast; ab water + dast hand.] Purification by washing the hands before prayer; -- a Mohammedan rite. --Heyse.

© Wordsmith.org