Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Hogwash polls are open - 04/29/02 07:22 AM
a. The word used for the attraction until the phrase "Merry-Go-Round" was popularized at the first world's fair.

b. A wheel in railroad watches that is regulated to oscillate five times per second.

c. a bacterium found in symbiotic relationship with certain mosses lying above the normal waterline on the beaches of the islands of the Outer Hebrides

d. A variety of seaweed predominant in turbulent waters

e. A rotating stage or platform

f. a whirlpool occuring at the confluence of two rivers

g. A floating mat of thickly woven mosses, rushes, and shrubs that forms across the surface of shallow pools and may shimmy or shake when walked upon. Used to support floating torches in vigils for the dead in ancient Rome.

h. When Dark Age trade unionists had the clergy post Spartacus as a guard to the gates of Heaven, Devil cults of the time enlisted the antithetical Spagyricus to guard the gates of Hell. Later adherents of dark witchcraft used the word Spagyricus to evoke evil spells.

i. A Roman word describing art forms found in Egyptian civilisations – typically glassware and bead necklaces in the period 50 BC-100 AD.

j. Biology term: the spiral bacterium found in the digestive tract of cows

k. an alchemist

l. Byzantine officer in charge of foreign mercenary troops

m. Bread mold

Entrants were: belMarduk, Bingley, consuelo, dxb, Flatlander, Jazzoctopus, JosieWales, maverick, milum, The FallibleFiend, WhitmanO’Neill, Wordwind

Bingley
Posted By: consuelo Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/29/02 09:47 AM
What is the deadline for voting, please?

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/29/02 01:26 PM
And remind us of the original word again, please?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/29/02 11:40 PM
Bingley, you can't say who invented the definitions

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 12:32 AM
OK, I'll go first, having missed the deadline to enter a definition. On the theory that it's related to spaghetti, I'll go for j.

Posted By: maverick Re: alphabetti spaghetti? - 04/30/02 12:51 AM
hmm - a load of daftinitions® based perhaps on the chime from sphagnum (moss, 2 x bacteriomilum, seaweed and mold [sic]), then a bunch of things going round (whirlpool, roundabout, watch cog and stage revolve)…

[hanging fire, unconvinced e]

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 03:16 AM
Bingley, you can't say who invented the definitions

tsuwm has before. He ain't showing who wrote which one. The names are in alphabetical order. That just shows who needs to vote to close the round.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 05:33 AM
The word was spagyricus. Voting ends at 12:00 WIB on Monday 6 May 2002 (05:00 GMT Monday 6 May 2002, 01:00 EST Monday 6 May 2002). As Jazzo so astutely pointed out the names and the definitions are in a different order (and there is an extra, real, definition).

Bingley
Posted By: milum Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 07:18 AM
Thanks Maverick, your equivocations helped not a lot. Everyone knows that the submissions reflected the root origins of rotation and roots. But you, you only obfuscated, perhaps in hope that your submission would win.
Well let someone with a good heart review the definitions.

I will review in reverse order the submissions of the submitters.

Wordwind - C -certain mosses lying above the normal waterline on the beaches of the islands of the Outer Hebrides Come on WW, free your unpoetic soul, you too can be like we.

Whitman O'Neill - G -woven mosses, rushes, and shrubs that forms across the surface of shallow pools and may shimmy or shake when walked upon. ( Come-on Whitty, "shimmy or shake"?) Gee Whiz.

Falliblefiend - L - mercenary troops. Way to go Falli, you scooped Maverick.

Maverick -B - Oh boy this is a no brainer . A wheel in railroad watches Mechanical Logic. And nostalgic romance.

Josie Whales - M- Josie is relatively new to the board so she/he timidly submits Breadmould. Uh, Thank you Josie.

Jazzoctopus - K - As Jazzo said he is studing and fooling around and doesn't have time for a long answer.
An alchemist

Flatlander - E - is straight-forward by nature...A rotating stage or platform

dxb - J - Mmmmm this was tough, but dxb seemed just the guy to care about...spiral bacterium found in the digestive tract of cows

Consuelo - i - at last an easy one, knowing her penchant for pottery...art forms found in Egyptian civilisations

Bingly - F - a whirlpool occurring at the confluence of two rivers Admit it, so serene, so Bingly.

belMarduk - A - Remember the World's Fair that was held in Canada? Well bel remembers beyond, and beyond that..."Merry-Go-Round" was popularized at the first world's fair.

Well now, it is time to vote. Only two definitions remain, mine and the Hogmasters. Last time I offered a complex answer, this time I'll leave it to you wonderful people to decide.
Peace.

Posted By: maverick Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 11:47 AM
obfuscation, Milo? ~ perish the thought :)

...this is a no brainer

you are so right...

Posted By: JosieWales Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 12:14 PM
Josie timidly chooses "K"

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 12:41 PM

e. A rotating stage or platform

k

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 12:53 PM
Yeah, I'll take E too.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 01:11 PM
milo--You are sooooooooooo wrong! I didn't write the definition you assigned me.

I was amazed at the number of us who immediately went to growing things, turning things, changing things, death and and water.

So, based on our intuitive turns toward this unknown word, I'm gonna vote for a great changer, the alchemist. Oh, sorry: It's K!!!!

Best regards,
Wordwrought

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 01:33 PM
by okkam's razor: K

(trusting milum's 1 of 2: milum - H)

()
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 01:51 PM
I have metal to burn!

K

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: milum Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 03:37 PM
Mmmmm? Everybody's jumping on Jazzo's flip answer, K...
Well as they say - A wasted brain is another's opportunity.
So... I guess I best cut my losses and garner the few points remaining by choosing the correct answer which is

_________________////>~*- D-*~<\\\\____________________

PostEdit:EeeeeeeeeeeeK!! What happened to my nice design?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwash polls are open - 04/30/02 04:24 PM
A wasted brain is another's opportunity

Or as Dan Quayle once so legibly said:

What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is. -- while speaking to the United Negro College Fund

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 04/30/02 09:32 PM
Posted By: dxb Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 07:21 AM
I'll go for k.

dxb

Posted By: consuelo Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 10:00 AM
Hmmmmm. So many Ks. So many good answers to choose from. No way will I vote for K so some one pass me a J, please.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 12:25 PM
Props to the creative soul that designed answer: "H". I'd like to give that person at least half a vote. However, the word in question definately has some sort of biological roots (haha) so I'll pick "K".

Go Cubbies!!

Posted By: Hyla Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 02:50 PM
I do not like to bandwagon, but I'ma gunna - I'll take K also.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 04:03 PM
I just love Milum's sherlockian deductions, even if they may be way off. The One True Answer, derived through calculations and formulae far too arcane and powerful to divulge here, is:

F

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 07:37 PM
G

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 07:42 PM
don't despair, folks, Max was right one other time!

(I think)
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 08:40 PM
Me so happy--me gots the smile o' the cat that swallowed the canary. From a New Yorker caroon years ago in which a cat sang:

I love little mousies;
Mousies what I love to eat;
Bite they little tails off;
Nibble on they tiny feet!

Beast regards,
WordWildly happy

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/01/02 09:00 PM

K

Boy, do I feel unoriginal...

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/03/02 04:12 AM
Though I'd love to jump on the bandwagon and vote for "my" answer I wish, I think I'll go with E.

Posted By: boronia Re: Hogwash polls are open - 05/03/02 01:15 PM
I say Ja to 'J'

© Wordsmith.org