Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Jazzo caught in NZ waters! - 03/28/02 02:31 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/03/27/octopus.nz/index.html

"But down here in New Zealand, this is an area which is so poorly explored that its not surprising that we're getting all these weird and wonderful animals."

Posted By: Fiberbabe Cephalopods - 03/28/02 05:26 PM
Why is the picture of a 1996 giant squid rather than the new find? [Stinking media, they don't think I can tell my cephalopods one from the other, mumble mumble...]

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Cephalopods - 03/28/02 05:37 PM
I thought it was strange, too, that the photograph was of the 1996 squid rather than the giant octopus. If there's that 156-pound octopus (or somewhere thereabout), then there must be a larger one, yes? Soon we'll have the story, "The Octopuses that Swallowed New Zealand"...or ""Jazz0's Last Stand."

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Cephalopods - 03/28/02 06:43 PM

Ya know ... I thought that looked like a squid, but just chalked it up to my not being familiar with the different species.

k

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Cephalopods - 03/28/02 06:52 PM
Why is the picture of a 1996 giant squid rather than the new find?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, FB. Pretty disappointing to have them run an old pic of a different creature. It's like doing a story about capturing a Bigfoot and then running a shot of a big gorilla.

Well, we may have lost our squidwhere are you? you out there? here at AWAD, but we still have our Jazzy octopus!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/28/02 07:50 PM
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: gelatinous blob - 03/28/02 08:08 PM
Meanwhile, off the coast of Florida:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/03/27/black.blob/index.html

Sign of global warming?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cephalopods - 03/28/02 08:09 PM
USn media's use of the wrong photo

Nemmine that; at least they said in the caption that it was the wrong photo. What I wanna know is is Steve O'Shea a Zilder?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: gelatinous blob - 03/28/02 08:20 PM
baffling black blob...say that three times fast!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Cephalopods - 03/29/02 05:49 AM
They showed the real deal on the Beeb news. Looked a bit like Helen Clark in a fish suit ... well, it sure were ugly, anyway.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Cephalopods - 04/06/02 06:23 AM
Hey, Jazzo, when're we going to see your take on Britain?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Cephalopods - 04/06/02 06:10 PM
Hey, Jazzo, when're we going to see your take on Britain?

When I get around this big school of fish in my way.

© Wordsmith.org