Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Geoff Green Eggs and Spam - 03/02/02 02:43 PM
Today, 2 March, is the anniversary of Dr. Seuss' birth. How many of you were encouragd to read by the books of this mad March Herr? (Kind of a YART, but not exactly)

Posted By: wwh Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/02/02 02:52 PM
My kids loved the books.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/02/02 05:31 PM
My first books were from the Cat in the Hat series. I can very clearly recall sitting next to the bookcase, where the CITH books were kept on the bottom shelf so I could reach them, and memorizing every word.

Forty years later, I'm still reading the same books, every night at bedtime.

Posted By: modestgoddess ?? - 03/02/02 08:53 PM
being new to the board, I have to ask: what does YART stand for?

Posted By: Geoff Re: ?? - 03/02/02 09:51 PM
being new to the board, I have to ask: what does YART stand for?

Oh, that's one of Dr. Seuss' characters! Oh, wrong, Geoff.... Yet Another Rehashed Topic is the official daffynition. It was a Yert in Dr. Seuss. Or is a yert where an Asian nomad lives? Oh, if I only had a brane...

Posted By: consuelo Yart? Yert? - 03/02/02 09:56 PM
Yurt heading in the right direction, Geoff. I still love reading the great Dr. Seuss books. I have an adult friend who has memorized the Starbellied Sneetches and performs it for children and adults in the circle of stones with the stars overhead.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Yart? Yert? - 03/02/02 11:51 PM
Dr Seuss was one author I was never young enough to appreciate, I'm afraid. Although I recognise the cleverness of his phraseology and rhyming, it just holds no attractions for me. But then I learned to read using some very strange books ...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/03/02 12:48 AM
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Yart? Yert? - 03/03/02 01:17 AM
And somehow I can't see The Lorax being a big favourite of West coasters!

Sorry, Maxie, that one's lost on me ... never read the book!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/04/02 06:22 PM
Well, I haven't told too many people this, but Dr. Seuss was a friend of a neighbor when my family lived in New York, and well, he actually read one of his stories to me when I was a tyke. My parents disagreed on which book it was and I was too young to remember, but both parents said the incident actually occurred.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/05/02 01:52 AM
Dr. Seuss was a friend of a neighbor when my family lived in New
York, and well, he actually read one of his stories to me when I was a tyke.

Thus did he predict your becoming a Seuss sayer?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/05/02 02:30 AM
Ol' Ted, he was read to by THE Doctor Seuss;
But this one or that one he could not deduce.
His folks could not help to put Ted at his ease;
Was it Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs, if you please?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/07/02 07:55 PM
Little kids sometimes think the cat in the hat is Dr. Seuss. No joke. Little bitty kids see the name Dr. Seuss next to that big cat in the big hat, and they deduce that the cat is Seuss.

And when they are shown the picture of the actual Dr. Seuss, they feel despondent because the cat is so much cooler looking than the man.

FTR: I didn't like Seuss when I was young. But I do like being around Seuss enthusiasts when they read to little kids. The excitement is contagious--at least for the duration of hearing the book read.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Green Eggs and Spam - 03/07/02 07:57 PM
and well, he actually read one of his stories to me when I was a tyke

Name dropper!

© Wordsmith.org