Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth winning words - 02/27/02 10:27 AM
Thought I'd post this winning piece of writing (200 words) which borrows as many words as possible from French, German and Spanish. I'm sure many of you would fancy you'd do pretty well, in all liklihood with a tendancy to use one language more than the others, as is the case below. Anyway, it reads like this:

My lover went en famille to the Mardi Gras fiesta, cancelling our restaurant rendezvous, tete-a-tete a deux. As the maitre d'hote and chef discussed the a la carte menu, my cafe au lait petit-four and eclair lay untouched on the balsa patio table.
He is my raison-d'etre, my confidant. A dancer par excellence, his tango a tour de force, the rumba his piece de resistance. A raconteur with bonhomie, bon-vivant with savoir faire. We visited cafes, bistros and delicatessen, exploring tapas and nouvelle cuisine. He bought me lingerie (ecru brassiere), a cerise poncho (fashion faux pas), eau de toilette and papier mache object d'art (how outre!)
A chauffeur driven entrepreneur, he sells pretzels and pumpernickel, clothes a la mode (never pret-a-porter!). He predicts the Zeitgeist, is au fait with ballet, apres-ski, croquet and salsa. He breeds dachshunds, chihuahua and iguana.
A chauvinist roue, he loves risque double entendre, yet I ended up au natruel at his pied-a-terre - j'accuse the cognac and liquer.
Was I a femme fatale - a paramour, coquette? Or a naive kindergarten child? My ersatz amour is kaput, my joie de vivre and amour-propre gone. Au revoir France, croissants and crepes. Manana England.
Lesley Kelly, 2002

Please excuse that the dialectic, er, diacritic markings are missing - I could be bothered with them - they couldn't be bothered with me.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: winning words - 02/27/02 07:17 PM
Viva Europanto!!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: winning words - 02/28/02 10:41 AM
Nice one BY!

I sent this to my Walloon girlfriend yesterday and she loved it! i don't think she had any idea that we used so much French (not to mention Spanish and German) in our everyday speech. And she was telling me the other day how difficult English is to speak!

Posted By: Jackie Re: winning words - 02/28/02 03:56 PM
Did you write this, by? What did you win? Query: would roue by any chance have meant rogue?

Posted By: Rubrick Roue - 02/28/02 04:00 PM
No, Jackie. A Roue is a lecherous, dissipated man.

Obviously you haven't met too many of them!!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Roue - 02/28/02 04:06 PM
Well, I didn't see how a he could be a sauce. And no, Dearest Rubrick, I haven't met you yet!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Roue - 02/28/02 04:13 PM
Hey, just call me Rouebrick!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Roue - 02/28/02 04:30 PM
Hey, just call me Rouebrick!

And all this time, I'd thought that a Ruebrick was the cobblestone used in paving french streets! [rueful smile ]

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: winning words - 03/01/02 12:11 PM
> Did you write this, by?

No, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough - I don't want to take any credit - except for posting it :-) I wrote the name of the author under the piece (now in bold), I merely copied it (fairly poorly) from the paper that awarded this lady with the prize. If I'd done it I'd have opted for a male narrator to start with, not to mention far more German loan words!

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Roue - 03/01/02 08:48 PM
"Eager young lads/and roues and cads/will offer you food and wine!"
Sixteen Going On Seventeen, The Sound of Music

FWIW ~

© Wordsmith.org