Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick A quizette.... - 02/18/02 03:41 PM
... for y'all to consider if you will, whilst awaiting the freshly-bathed return of our little piggies.

The evening before last I spent in the delightful company of friends in the country. We travelled by tube to Germany, Scotland, France, Greece, Egypt, Czechoslovakia, Portugal and Spain, yet never left the room. We stayed indoors yet needed the company of 100 keys to escape.

What was I doing?

Extended supplementary quiz available if it gains any interest…

EDIT: I suggest we give everyone a day to see this, then fire in (by open post) any answers that seem possible to your warped and febrile imaginations! [notwink]
Posted By: Faldage Re: A quizette.... - 02/18/02 03:47 PM
Oooh, Oooh Ooooh!

I know Mistah Kottah!

Call on me!!

Posted By: duncan large Re: A quizette.... - 02/18/02 04:10 PM
you are a git ..................this is going to wind me up big time

the Duncster
Posted By: maverick Re: A quizette.... - 02/18/02 04:13 PM
glad to oblige, duncster!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: A quizette.... - 02/18/02 04:18 PM
Well - I guess you can get tubes of beer from all of those countries, and you would be as drunk as a skunk after all that lot, and would need 100 keys for them to let you outta jail (or gaol, whichever you prefer - you don't collect £200 either way!)

EDIT:

Sorry, mav - I didn't see your edit before shoving this in - but as it isn't what I really think is the answer, I'll leave it in and post my real answer tomorrow
ingratiating
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Meanwhile.... - 02/18/02 05:42 PM
...whilst awaiting the freshly-bathed return of our little piggies.

What? Who? Where?

Posted By: maverick Re: Meanwhile.... - 02/18/02 06:05 PM
our little piggies.

What? Who? Where?
(C.I.A.)

When the hogmaster's scored the bacon... [notgrin]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Meanwhile.... - 02/18/02 06:37 PM
Ah, those little piggies!

So, have you figured out who's behind the bluffs?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Answer (spoiler warning) - 02/19/02 11:15 AM
Surfing the 'net. The tube is the crt of your monitor and the 100 keys are the ones on your computer keyboard (this varies from keyboard to keyboard. My keyboard at work has 101 and this iMac has 108, but 100 is a good first order estimate.)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Answer (spoiler warning) - 02/19/02 06:45 PM
Faldage's answer sounds good to me.

Posted By: maverick Re: Answer (spoiler warning) - 02/19/02 06:49 PM
tee~hee - at least I get my own back for yoru wonderful clean-healed piggy, Betsy, cause you both gone done me wrawwwwng...

Posted By: jazzygems Re: A quizette.... - 02/19/02 09:43 PM
I'd say you've been doing a little internet surfing.

jg
Posted By: Keiva Re: A quizette.... - 02/19/02 09:49 PM
Welcome aboard, jazzygems!

[you'll soon meet our good friend and fellow-boarder, jazzoctopus]

Posted By: belMarduk Re: A quizette.... - 02/19/02 11:59 PM
Oh, well, if you weren't on computer then I have no clue. Can we get an other clue?

Posted By: maverick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 10:40 AM
an other clue?

mais bien sûr, anything for you bel, to stave off dottiness! parm ma Frainch, Betsy

A timely clue rests in the signature of the words themselves, such as "company of... keys"...

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 03:27 PM
You weren't playing the piano by any chance?? 100 keys on a piano? I can't work out the tube part but I'm guessing that you were playing with a virtual band across the internet.

Posted By: wow Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 03:35 PM
Have no idea what answer to quizette is (the Internet answer sounds plausible tho) but believe that a standard piano keyboard has 88 (eighty-eight) keys.

I'm right amn't I Musick?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 03:39 PM
Have no idea what answer to quizette is (the Internet answer sounds plausible tho) but believe that a standard piano keyboard has 88 (eighty-eight) keys.

Without a handy grand in my office I had no way of verifying this theory, wow!

Do any instruments have 100 keys? Tube could imply a church organ. The countries could signify the music from those countries. I'll check Mavs bio again to see if there're any clues in there......

Posted By: maverick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 03:41 PM
I'm right amn't I Musick?

ahhhhh! they start to hit the right note.

Bill, do 'em a favour and google 1912 Bosendorfer...

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 03:44 PM
Nope. Nothing. Bridge? Gardening?

Methinks that the quizette is not about him.

Is it a boardgame, Mav? Are you into virtual reality?

Oh, I give up......

Posted By: Keiva Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 04:46 PM
believe that a standard piano keyboard has 88 (eighty-eight) keys.

Yup.

http://library.furman.edu/images/Maxwell/keyboard/steinway.jpg: from A at the bottom, extending 7 octaves plus four notes to C at the top.

Posted By: maverick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 04:49 PM
tube... company... Bosendorfer...

not virtual reality, the real live thing!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 04:53 PM
So I was right?

Posted By: maverick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 05:06 PM
pretty much - my Bridge partner Martin has a Bosendofer which is around 8½ octaves, with wonderful additional bass notes...

so what about the rest?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 05:11 PM
You were watching a slide show or a video of somebody's recent holiday around Europe and North Africa?

You were eating a selection of foods from those countries?

I know not and I won't be able to guess till tomorrow. Shutting down in five.... four... three... two....

Posted By: Faldage Re: A quizette.... - 02/20/02 05:17 PM
Eight octaves and a minor third?

I like my answer better.

Posted By: milum Re: A quizette.... - 02/21/02 02:10 PM
The Quizette Quiz: At this juncture this is what I know.
I know that..
a) a quizette is a quiz designed for women, and men who try to stay in touch with there feminine side.

b) the company of 100 keys is “Century Islands Productions”, the company that produces the tube adventure show -“Escape From Fantasy Island”.

c) the words Germany, Scotland, France, Greece, Egypt, Czechoslovakia, Portugal and Spain, contain all the letters of the alphabet but b,d,j,q and x.

d) one can extract one hundred words from Maverick’s paragraph and reassemble them into a paragraph of one hundred words that makes no sense.

e) Faldage’s answer was wrong.

Which makes it all worth while.

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/21/02 03:48 PM
c) the words Germany, Scotland, France, Greece, Egypt, Czechoslovakia, Portugal and Spain, contain all the letters of the alphabet but b,d,j,q and x.

Scotland

d?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: A quizette.... - 02/21/02 03:59 PM
Czechoslovakia was only a country from 1919 until the early 90s when it split in two. Previous to 1919 it was part of Austria-Hungary.

The countries named have very little in common. It can't be about languages since Scotland speaks mostly-English. It could be about food or music or dances. The tube has me.

The only thing I can think of that would match Mav's bio is that he plays bridge and Omar Sharif (the Egyptian actor - Egypt being one of the named countries) is also a bridge player. It's a long shot but I'm guessing that tube has something to do with Bridge. The only terms I know from that game are rubbers and tricks.

So you played out some classic bridge problems posed by players from those countries and then finished off the night tinkling on the ivories.

Getting warm, Mav?

Posted By: maverick Re: A quizette.... - 02/21/02 05:33 PM
tinkling on the ivories

well, not me, perish the hearers! but I am a Trustee of a music education charity, and we promote concerts...

Posted By: rkay Re: A quizette.... - 02/21/02 10:24 PM
Or tube could be television/video or old fashioned record players?