Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Geoff Moon madness - 12/29/01 07:35 PM
This headline found in the Friday New York Times on-line: Uranus Satellite Denied Moon
Status.
Hmmm.... Mooning and that planet have some strange associations. Well, it WAS a full moon last night

Posted By: Keiva Re: luna. See? - 12/29/01 11:13 PM
A word-related note:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/12/28/nixed.moon.ap/index.html: A space rock just 25 miles across has failed to win recognition as the 21st moon of the planet Uranus. ... Uranus has 20 confirmed moons that all take their names from characters in the works of William Shakespeare and Alexander Pope.

http://wwwflag.wr.usgs.gov/USGSFlag/Space/nomen/nomen.html, gives the names and sources, per the International Astromonmical Union. (click to Appendix 7). By the Union's convention, all features on these satellites (craters, etc.) are to be named after such characters, places, or spirits. (same site, Appendix 6)
Posted By: of troy Re: Moon madness - 12/30/01 03:21 AM
speaking of moons-- at about the seven o'clock postions--and not to far distant.. (at 7 pm it was about 8 fingers width away, but now (11 pm) its only about 3 or 4--(where to my size fingers, the moon is a full fingers width,i.e., i can block it from view by holding up my thumb) is Jupiter.. it is very bright, and can even been seen as a morning star after the sun has risen!

here's hoping you have clear skys!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 05:39 AM
Anyone ever realize that moon is a palindrome one hump removed?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 09:38 AM
But there are two-humped moons. I've seen 'em. They're positively Bactrian--or is that Backtrian here?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando cameliana - 01/02/02 02:17 PM
a palindrome one hump removed?

Or one added, presumably?

edit Indeed, could this be a palindromedary?
Posted By: wwh Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 02:49 PM
Wow posted a long time ago that it's always fullmoon to somebody. In addition to "streaking" there was the practice of displaying the bare buttocks out the window of a moving vehicle, called "mooning". It was showing people "Uranus".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 02:56 PM
Dr Bill, I suspect that's what Geoff was suggesting in his initial post. In a much more subtle manner than you did, of course.

Posted By: wwh Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 03:28 PM
Dear Annastruffic: Thank you for your much appreciated estimation.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 03:30 PM
Ooooh! Do we now Dr. Bill Cleopatra call?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 04:18 PM
Ooooh! Do we now Dr. Bill Cleopatra call?

No...more like Norm Crosby, the malapropic comic. I think that was the good Doctor's malapropism for "moon you!"

Posted By: Keiva Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 05:13 PM
I believe the preferred pronunciation of the planet's name is with the accent on the first syllable.
Which creates a different, unfortunate anatomical homonym.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 05:21 PM
the preferred pronunciation of the planet's name is with the accent on the first syllable

Didn't used to be. It changed overnight when the astronomers discovered a ring around it. Seriously. I was there. I heard it with my own ears. The thought of Walter Cronkite saying "Ring around Uranus" was just too much and some proactive censor caught it, no doubt. Ring around the collar was well known in advertising circles at the time.

Posted By: wwh Re: Moon madness - 01/02/02 05:26 PM
No asp in my bosom, please! And, naturally I was using the nice pronunciation of the planet's name. But making sure that Geoff's subtlety did not make his jest unappreciated.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Moon madness - 01/03/02 01:09 AM
Indeed, Dr. Bill, my intent was as AnnaStrophic stated. The mental image the headline produced in me was of a gibbous display with (that planet) in the middle of it. Odd that it occurred at the time of the ancient Saturnalia! Such Lunatics they were to make such an Earthy comment, which sent the Mercury shooting up in my sphygmomanometer. (Oohhh, try saying that after a couple of pints!)

Posted By: Geoff Re: Moon madness - 01/03/02 01:12 AM
But there are two-humped moons. I've seen 'em.

Where? At the drive-in theatre, perhaps?

Posted By: Keiva Re: rings around the scholars - 01/03/02 01:38 AM
keiva: the preferred pronunciation of the planet's name is with the accent on the first syllable
faldage: Didn't used to be. It changed overnight when the astronomers discovered a ring around it. Seriously. I was there. I heard it with my own ears.

Faldage, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I vaguely recall that story now that you mention it (and I too originally learned the planet's name with the accent on the second syllable). On the other hand, my 1963 Websters lists the first-syllable accent as the preferred pronunciation -- and googling indicates that the rings weren't discovered until 1977.
http://ringmaster.arc.nasa.gov/uranus/uranus.html

Posted By: wwh Re: Moon madness - 01/03/02 01:39 AM
Dear Geoff: Watch the screen.

Posted By: wwh Re: rings around the scholars - 01/03/02 01:43 AM
And the planet is now called Urinous.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Urine-ous - 01/03/02 02:11 AM
Dr Bill, I suspect that's what Keiva was suggesting in his post. In a much more subtle[read:white] manner than you did, of course.

royalties are in the mail, E!

Posted By: ladymoon Re: Moon madness - 01/03/02 04:14 AM
It's threads like this that give me a bad name.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Moon madness - 01/03/02 10:03 AM
Dear ladymoon,

You be bad, girl, oooohhhh, so bad! You revel in your badness. You've got the great gifts. No one's gonna take 'em away--no, not those.

Best regards,
WordWorshipper

PS. to Geoff: Too bad the drive-ins Help! tsuwm, which nearly rhymes with moon: What is the correct spelling of the plural for 'drive-in'? have been mostly taken away. What incredible vapors rose there beneath the overglowing Mother Moon. (Nostalgic here.)

Posted By: wwh Re: Urine-ous - 01/03/02 03:40 PM
Dear gymkhana: I have a remarkable command of the obvious. I also try to find ways of acknowledging jests, if only by a bit of repetition. Imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Urine-ous - 01/03/02 09:32 PM
Which brings to mind the riddle "What are the major points of similarity between toilet paper and the starship Enterprise?"

Posted By: wwh Re: Urine-ous - 01/03/02 10:09 PM
From a cynical viewpoint, both are for sddjp;rd

Posted By: Geoff Re: Urine-ous - 01/04/02 03:19 AM
What are the major points of similarity between toilet paper and the starship
Enterprise?"

Oh, an enterprising question, CK! I know the answer, but feel that in truth the real purpose of the Starship Enterprise is the marketing of t-shirts, coffe mugs, fake Vulcan ears, and such other such schlock. Now, what about the Jefferson Starship Enterprise?

Geoff, still lusting for Seven of Nine. Hmmmm.... What if the late pianist/comedian had been assimilated? Would he still be Victor Borg, eh?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Moon madness - 01/04/02 03:23 AM
It's threads like this that give me a bad name.
So, then, you see, it is imperative that you visit us more often, to defend yourself! Nice to see you back, dear.

Ok, CK, what ARE the similarities?

© Wordsmith.org