Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm the score after 20 rounds - 12/12/01 05:54 AM
here are the submitters and votes tallied for this round:

a) a reversal of the usual order of things, as in, for example, a countdown or reverse alphabetical order.
Bingley, 1 vote

b) the state of being pigeon-toed. from Janos Zaber, 1787-1852, Czech physician who described the condition in a monograph ca. 1838.
bobyoungbalt, 1 vote

c) a phrase that goes beyond meaningless, named for Wally Zaber. example: The necklace sock flew fishscales.
consuelo, 2 votes

d) an economic system based on a network of professional guilds and trade unions collecting dues rather than taxes.
flatlander, 1 vote

e) an 18th century Polish religious schism whose followers excluded wine from the holy sacraments.
caradea - 3 votes

f) the foreign policy theory that acting charismatically toward an enemy will result in further animosity. from the German word zauber for charm or magic.
jazzo

g) a cult religion of germanic tribes from the common delta region of the Rine, Meuse, and Scheldt rivers which includes the Zuider Zee. central to their rites was the toss of the ZABERN, a wooden log that was tossed on end into a zodiacal circle. the direction of the lay of the log they believed predicted future events. Viking raids around 1000AD helped spread the rites to Scotland, where the tossing of the zabern, (scot-galic, caber(n),) survives today as a national sport.
milum

h) military jackbootery. from an incident at Saverne (Ger. Zabern) in Alsace (1912), when an excited Ger. subaltern cut down a lame cobbler who smiled at him.
Etym. Dict. Mod. Eng. 0 votes

i) the belief that the Egyptian pryamids were built with the aid of extraterrestrial intelligences and have cosmic significance. after Thomas E Zabernsk (1942 - ), proponent.
sparteye

j) abstention from alcohol.
TEd, 2 votes

k) carping criticism; like that of Zabernius, a Greek critic.
tsuwm, 2 votes

l) a compulsive penchant for repeating oneself, as identified by psychologist Dr. Gustav Zabern in 1923.
WhitmanO'N

m) the nearly obsessive practice of seeking out the best pizzaria in the capital of Switzerland.
Wordwind, 1 vote

so the hogmaster™ scores the rare and elusive stump points as no one voted for the definition as given by the Etymological Dictionary of Modern English, published in 1921. I guess the word was just too modern and didn't catch on.

kudos to teD and to consuelo for gathering two votes each and especially to caradea(?) for gaining the plurality (such as it is).

---------------------------------------------------------

Hogwash™ World Cup® Point Standings©

tsuwm 36+2+3=41
Bingley 29+1=30
Flatlander 27+1=28
squid 24
Bobyoungbalt 23+1=24
caradea 21+3=24
Sparteye 22
wordcrazy 20
maverick 18
Jazzoctopus 17
rodward 16
paulb 15
Hyla 15
WhitmanO'Neill 15
Geoff 13
Brandon 11
jimthedog 11
Rapunzel 10
fiberbabe 9
RhubarbCommando 8
Marianna 7
MaxQuordlepleen 7
consuelo 5+2=7
TEd Remington 5+2=7
VernonCompton 6
Avy 3
wwh 3
Faldage 2
Jackie 2
frmPennsylvania 1
nuntius 1
AlexWilliams 1
freckled_snout 1
milum 1
jmh 1
Wordwind +1=1
Juanmaria 0.5

---------------------------------------------------------

give up?!
Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Give up? - 12/13/01 07:30 PM
No. Aren't we playing to 500?

Posted By: consuelo Tenacious R Us - 12/13/01 10:44 PM
When HOGWASH® Round 500 is over and the checkered flag waves, then we'll give up. For awhile. I didn't give youse guys a 15 round lead for nuthin'.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Tenacious R Us - 12/14/01 01:34 AM
I never say "Uncle," Uncle Tsuwm!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Tenacious R Us - 12/14/01 09:38 AM
With over 800,000 words in the English language, and the average lexicographer's knowing about 125,000 of 'em, that leaves about 675,000 that even the average lexicographer doesn't know.

So, I'd say that this game is easily open to a mere 500 rounds.

Quiz regards,
Wordwind

Posted By: tsuwm Re: 800,000 words - 12/14/01 03:21 PM
yeahbut, those inflated numbers include words such as
methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucyl- phenylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyl- lysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenyl- alanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisol- eucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartyl- threonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartyl- alanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenyl- alanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolyl- threonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucyl- arginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonyl- prolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamyl- methionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysyl- histidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucyl- leucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenyl- alanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenyl- alanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalyl- glycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalyl- prolylvalylglutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanyl-arginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginyl-
valylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinyl-
prolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucyl-leucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycyl- arginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyl- alanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginyl- arginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidyl- leucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginyl- alanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanyl-glycylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysyl-
alanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycyl-alanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisol- eucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucyl- glutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyl-
lysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysyl-
alanylalanylthreonylarginylserine, which I can never remember and refuse to type.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: 800,000 words - 12/14/01 05:08 PM
tsuwm:

So, the lexicographers know all the pithy ones and the 675,000 are like the hippopotasesquepedalious ones you listed?

Great list of tongue twisters, by the way!

WW

Posted By: tsuwm Re: 800,000 words - 12/14/01 06:04 PM
>Great list...

list? list?? that was one frappin' word! (a 1913-letter enzyme with 267 amino acids). [ycliu]
Posted By: Jackie Re: 800,000 words - 12/14/01 08:48 PM
Is there anyone on the face of the earth who can SAY that word, tsuwm? I don't mean sound it out--I mean just let it go trippingly off their tongue.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: 800,000 words - 12/15/01 12:22 AM
Trippingly off the tongue, Jacks? Sounds like a great Wordapalooza trophy challenge to me! Start practicin'! We can hear it with a Kentuckian accent, Virginian, Minnesotean, Michigean, New Yorkian...

begging to be corrected on adjective forms of states...

WW

Posted By: consuelo Re: 800,000 words - 12/15/01 01:18 AM
Michigan, being a bi(polar)penninsula state, has two names for it's residents: Michiganians[which I prefer] and the fowl Michigander.

© Wordsmith.org