Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Bumper Stickers - 08/07/01 11:45 PM
As I have travelled around the US, I've seen a lot of reasonably clever bumper stickers. I wondered if y'all would like to share your favourites here. To start the ball rolling, one that nearly had me driving off the road with laughter ...

Jesus is Coming ... LOOK BUSY!

Posted By: Geoff Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 01:18 AM
Jesus is Coming ... LOOK BUSY!

Thus is revealed the Calvinist influence in the US.

A favorite of mine is a spoof of the one saying, "Visualize World Peace." The funnny one says "Visualize Whirled Peas." I personally would prefer "Visualize Invisibility," or "Visualize Squirrel Fleas," or even "Visualize Traffic Signals - since that's the only way you'll ever see them, it seems."

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 10:56 AM
The best bumper-sticker I've seen lately was on a Smart Car (the smallest mass-produced automobile ever released). It read:

"When I grow up I want to be a Mercedes A-Class"

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 11:04 AM
The craze for bumper stickers seems to have passed in UK, but it was "all the rage" a few years ago, with all the usual ones: "My other car is a Porsche" (which was really funny when I saw this on a Porsche!); "If you can read this you're too ******* close!"; a pair of stickers either side of the bumper labelled "Overtaking Side" and "Suicide"; "Don't laugh at this sticker - it may be your wife inside!" and similar.
All of the really good ones were topical, and would not be funny now, I guess, even if my grey cells were up to such a memory feat.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 11:52 AM
I like the one that says Eschew Obfuscation.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 01:49 PM
On the theme of stickers that poke fun at some common religious bumper stickers, I have seen:

JESUS LOVES YOU...
everyone else thinks you're an *sshole

and

JESUS SAVES!
Gretzky scores on the rebound!

Posted By: Hyla Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 02:33 PM
A recent favorite of mine asks:

What if the hokey-pokey is what it's all about?

Posted By: rodward Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 03:03 PM
Like MumbleSquad I haven't seen any good ones lately on cars, but this being a seaside town, I have the opportunity to scan them on the racks next to the kiss-me-quick hats. When I find a good one, I add it to my list of one-liners. Luckily, we seem to have grown out of the "windsurfers do it standing up" genre, they tend to be wife/girl/boy/in-law or motoring related these days. I think I saw these as bumper stickers but I can't be sure. Many of them are recycled quips and quotes anyway.

Jesus saves, Moses invests, but the Mongol Hordes

My ex-wife's other car is a broom.

Polygamy - too many wives; monogamy - the same.

Teenagers - your punishment for enjoying sex.

They also surf who only stand on waves.

Rod

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 04:40 PM
"My other car is a Porsche" (which was really funny when I saw this on a Porsche!)

years ago (before any of our tax deductions were born and we had to start driving suburbans) we bought a Porsche C2, and thought we'd be clever by adding the license plate frame that's commonly found on rolling wrecks, which reads "Don't Laugh; It's Paid For"

as for bumper stcikers, around here the fad is to boast a sticker that reads "My Kid is an Honors Student at [insert name here] Elementary School". i almost crashed laughing when i first saw the retort on an old chevy: "My Kid Beat Up Your Honor Student"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 04:51 PM
only peripherally related, but these somehow reminded me of an email that circulated a couple of years ago, which included (among others) the following Things Not To Say To a Policeman When You've Been Pulled Over:

1. I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer.

2. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.

3. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a cop.

4. I almost decided to be a cop, but I decided to finish high school instead.

5. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?

6. Do *you* know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.

7. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around-that's how far ahead of me they are.

8. Well, when I reached down to pick up my bag of crack, my gun fell off my lap and got lodged between the brake pedal and the gas pedal, forcing me to speed out of control.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 06:57 PM
I live in the paper industry haven of Alabama. My personal favorite is "If you are against logging, try using plastic toilet paper".

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 08/08/01 08:03 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/08/01 09:21 PM
Bumper stickers are often naughty. There was one six or eight years ago showing a pair of ducks apparently copulating in flight with large letter caption "Fly United".

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/09/01 12:30 AM
Welcome to AWAD, Chemeng!

I have just the brand name for that toilet paper:

UB Brand ... [insider joke emoticon]

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/09/01 12:45 AM
Welcome a-Board, ChemEng!

your reputation precedes you =)

and you're gonna love it here!

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/09/01 10:08 AM
Polygamy - too many wives; monogamy - the same.
Reminds me of the scene in Around the World in 80 days, when they pass through Salt Lake City.

Posted By: wwh Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/09/01 12:32 PM
The sickest bumper sticker I ever saw read: "Incest - the game the whole family can play." Yuk.

Posted By: wwh Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/10/01 03:10 PM
RodWard had a post about pronunciation that also had a long list of bumper stickers.

http://ehiggins.tripod.com/humrlang.htm#BumperStickers

Posted By: Jackie A billboard, ok? - 08/12/01 01:29 AM
I can't remember where I saw this, but I do know it wasn't tobacco country.
Scene: two cowboys on horseback, riding off into the sunset.
Caption: "I miss my lung, Bob".

Posted By: Keiva Re: license plates - 08/12/01 03:11 AM
A license plate in my home town read "EX WIFE". When first seen it was on a beat-up old wagon, but a year later that plate had been moved onto a Mercedes.

Wonder who her lawyer was.

Posted By: wow Re: Bumper stickers - license plates - 08/12/01 01:47 PM
a year later that plate had been moved onto a Mercedes.
Wonder who her lawyer was.

Something you want to tell us about Kieva?

Bumper sticker :
Don't make me come down there! - God

Posted By: Keiva Re: Bumper stickers - license plates - 08/12/01 02:35 PM
Bumper sticker: Don't make me come down there! - God
Around here, billboards display that phrase. A variant is: We need to talk. -- God

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/13/01 08:55 PM
caradea, I'm afraid to ask about my reputation. We didn't go to college together, did we???????????? =)

Sparteye, as for UB Brand, as much as I would like to wipe excrement all over the twirp, I'm not sure that allowing him anywhere close to me would be worth it. He has to be just wormy!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic God's billboards - 08/14/01 04:17 PM
Bumper sticker: Don't make me come down there! - God

Around here, billboards display that phrase. A variant is: We need to talk. -- God

Those are all over my former hometown of Atlanta. I learned somewhere that they're all paid for by one guy. I forget his name and where he's from.

OK, so I'm vague. It's rough getting back into the rhythm here!

Posted By: TEd Remington The rookie cop - 08/14/01 05:03 PM
The rookie was patrolling one day when he saw a Porsche going the other way, doing as Porsches are wont to do, about twice the speed limit. The cop did a u-turn and after catching the Porsche some miles down the road asked to see the male driver's operator's permit.

"Well, officer," replied the guy sheepishly, "I sort of don't have one."

The cop frowned, "Don't have one at all, or don't have it with you?"

"I guess I never bothered to get one."

"OK, let's see your vehicle registration."

The driver replied apologetically, "Actually, I don't have one. You see, this isn't really my car."

"OK, whose car is it?"

"Not sure. It was sitting there with the keys in it, just begging to be driven."

"OK," said the officer, "why don't we start by looking in the glove box and finding out who the owner is."

The guy shook his head. "Officer, you probably don't want to do that. There's a pistol in there."

The cop undid the flap on his Glock. "A gun? Is it yours?"

"Of course, officer, I didn't want it rattling around inside the car at the speeds I was doing."

"OK, hand me the keys, stay in the car, I'm calling for backup."

The shift sergeant arrived and walked up to the Porsche. "Gimme your driver's license."

The man complied.

"Now show me your registration."

The man again complied.

"This your car?"

"Of course, officer, look at the license and registration. They've both got the same name on them."

The sergeant was baffled. "Now just open the glove compartment real slow-like, OK?"

The man complied, revealing that it contained absolutely nothing.

"Now what is going on here?" asked the sergeant. "That cop over there told me you didn't have a license; you stole the car, and you had a gun."

"Oh, right," said the fellow, "and I suppose he told you I was speeding too!"

Posted By: wwh Re: The rookie cop - 08/14/01 11:24 PM
Dear TEd: That's a good joke about the rookie cop. But the speeder's clever plan falls apart with one question from the sergeant. "Did the officer ask to see your license?" If the speeder says "No", the sergeant knows he is lying. If he says "Yes" the sergeant again knows he is lying.

Posted By: francais31415 Re: The rookie cop - 08/15/01 02:22 AM
One speeder, upon being stopped by a cop, explained that he was "only trying to keep up with the other cars." When the officer pointed out that the road was empty, the man replied, "Yes, that's how far ahead of me they are!"

Posted By: MaryP Re: The rookie cop - 08/15/01 02:40 AM
Or there is the cop who sat behind bushes all day waiting for someone to speed by. He finally caught a young man going exceptionally fast. He said to him, "Son, I've been waiting for you to come by all day!" To which the young man replied, "Well Officer, I got here as fast as I could!"

Back to bumper stickers, I like "WWSD -What would Scooby Doo!"

Posted By: Jackie Re: The rookie cop - 08/15/01 02:48 AM
Welcome aBoard, MaryP ! You're the second, maybe third chemist here that I know of (I'm not sure if Chemeng is one or not--welcome to you, too, though, Dear, by the way!).

TED! Oh, how lovely to see posts from you again! Mmm,
I love you, Sweetie!

Posted By: TEd Remington TP brand names - 08/15/01 05:02 PM
>I have just the brand name for that toilet paper:

Some years ago a friend of mine took a summer job as a clerk in a trading post on the Navajo Reservation. Soon after he began to work there an Indian man came in looking for toilet paper. Joe told him he had two types, Charmin and generic. The Indian asked what generic was.

"Well," replied Joe, "it's pretty much the same as the other stuff but it hasn't got fancy wrapping and you don't have to pay for any advertising, so it's a good deal cheaper than the Charmin." The Indian bought two rolls, but was back the next day.

"Something wrong?" asked Joe.

"You should call that stuff John Wayne toilet paper. It's rough and it's tough, and it don't take shit off of no Indians."

Posted By: wwh Re: TP brand names - 08/15/01 07:08 PM
During WWII, there was a joke that the WAVEs would not visit the WACs because they refused to wipe with WACs toilet paper.

Posted By: Keiva Re: TP brand names - 08/15/01 07:47 PM
You should call that stuff John Wayne toilet paper. It's rough and it's tough, and it don't take shit off of no Indians.

(no way to avoid scatology here): a patriotic toilet paper, decorated with all sorts of jingoistic pictores, was brand-named "Up US".

Posted By: Jackie Re: TP brand names - 08/16/01 12:49 PM
a patriotic toilet paper, decorated with all sorts of jingoistic pictores, was brand-named "Up US".

Naw...no way. Right?
(Gee--just think what you could label toilet paper that had Not Mine stamped all over it...)

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/16/01 08:32 PM
I saw a bumper sticker yesterday...it was a picture of a Rebel flag with the verbage "If you don't like my flag you can kiss my rebel ass." Southern rednecks are so eloquent, aren't they?

Posted By: xara Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/17/01 01:38 PM
and then there's:
I still miss my ex-wife
but my aim is getting better.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/19/01 08:05 PM
Chemeng considers:Southern rednecks are so eloquent, aren't they?

Actually®, I *do prefer the accent to that of a Northern redneck.

and such an animal *does exist, lemme tell ya

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/21/01 04:06 AM
I've been meaning to get up to the boardwalk here (Wildwood, NJ) and copy down some of the neat bumper stickers the shops have since this thread first appeared...finally made it, so here they are...and I got yelled at by the shop clerk for copying them down, guess he thought I was opening a store on the next block or somethin', so enjoy them! (CAUTION: Rated "R"!):

I'm Hung Like Einstein
& Smart as a Horse

COPS: Just say "NO"
to Donuts

Driver Carries No Cash
HE'S MARRIED

Women come & go, But...
You can rely on a truck.

Road Rage
Next 10 Miles

Clear the Road
I'm Sixteen

If We Quit Voting
Will They All Go Away?

Unless you're a hemorrhoid
stay off my ass!

I Wonder if You'd Drive
Any better if that CAR PHONE
was up your BUTT!

EARTH FIRST: We'll
Screw Up the Other Planets Later

You're Kid's an Honor Student,
But You're A Moron

MEN ARE NOT PIGS
Pigs Are Gentle, Sensitive,
and Intelligent Animals

Grow Your Own Dope
PLANT A MAN

Don't Come a-Knockin'
If This vehicle's a-Rockin'

For a Small Town
This One Sure Has
A Lot of Assholes

Answer My Prayers
Steal This Car

I Think I'm the Only
Woman in America Who
Didn't Sleep With the President

Gore is an ORGASM away
from the PRESIDENCY

What Part of
"Get Off My Ass!"
Don't You Understand?

I'm Absotively,
Posilutely SOBER

Don't Plant
Another Bush in the
White House

Single Women Can't Fart
They Don't Have an Asshole
Until they're Married

Ever stop to think...
And forget to start again?

www.OFFMYASS.com

Horn Broken
Watch For Finger

WANTED
Meaningful Overnight
Relationship

I hate BUMPER STICKERS

All actually for sale on the Wildwood, New Jersey, boardwalk, folks!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/22/01 01:59 AM
Well, some of these are some pretty clear expressions of opinions, all right. Can't see myself displaying one to the world, though some did give me a private chuckle.

Posted By: musick Post deleted by musick - 08/24/01 09:07 PM
Posted By: of troy Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/24/01 10:11 PM
Not a bumper sticker-- a note pad
I buy things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't like.. Doesn't everybody?
it is one of my daughters...

Posted By: francais31415 Re: Bumper Stickers - 08/25/01 11:51 PM
Don't know where this is from...
"I live in my own little world, but that's okay - they know me there!"
"You're just jealous 'cause the voices in my head won't talk to you!"

© Wordsmith.org