Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley sceat -- polls are open - 07/07/01 05:23 AM
Cast your votes please for:
1. A hunter's call to the hounds to heel and return to the bugler.

2. An Anglo-Saxon silver coin of the 7th and 8th centuries AD.

3. In archaeology, the area where the bones of extinct, often gigantic reptiles of the Mesozoic era are suspected to be buried.

4. One who masquerades as a monster at night to intentionally frighten people.

5. Northern English dialect term, appropriately meaning dialect (from an Anglo-Saxon root).

6. The word you use to say "Shoo" to an elephant.

7. Dung. Old Norse, whence Sc[e]atalogical and Sc[h]eat.

8. Signs used to track game such as deer or elk, specifically excrement or spoor.

9. The peak of a trajectory; apex.

10. A nautical term for the fitting that seals and lubricates the propeller shaft where it passes through the hull.

11. A type of large needle used for making tapestries.

12. A medium's inaugural incantation for summoning spirits at the beginning of a seance.

13. A perfumed chair.

14. Decorative metal inlay on the hilt of a sword.

15. A form of pre-Columbian carving done in animal bone and affixed to temple walls.

Contributors for this round were:
Avy; Bingley; Brandon; caradea; Flatlander; Jazzoctopus; jimthedog; maverick; RhubarbCommando; rodward; Sparteye; squid; Whitman O’Neill; wordcrazy.

Polls close at Tuesday noon WIB (Tuesday 5:00 GMT, midnight Monday/Tuesday board time).

Bingley
Posted By: Sparteye Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/07/01 05:11 PM
Wow. They are all so good, and I haven't a clue. How about 9?

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/07/01 05:53 PM
I am torn between 11 and 2 but I am in a "crafty" state of mind so I will pick 11.

chronist
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/07/01 06:24 PM
None of them sound in the least bit believeable: I have taken a needle and stuck it into the list and hit No. 11.

Now, there's a coincidence
- or is there something in this divine providence mullarky?

Posted By: maverick Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/07/01 09:22 PM
10? No, 2. No, 5. No. definitely 2.

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 01:51 AM
I haven't played this game in 15 years, so I will see if I have got any better at it by picking number 10.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 06:34 AM
I'd like to say 10, but I can't think why any honest person would specify that the word designating a fitting that is necessarily a part of a boat is a "nautical term." I'll say 14--all the while assuming I'm wrong and that the correct answer is 13 which is utterly preposterous. One way or another, my perfect 0 for 0 is shot to hell.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 07/08/01 06:47 AM

Posted By: Marianna Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 08:48 AM
I don't think I'm playing legally, since I didn't submit a definition... but FWIW, I'd say...
1... no, 14... no, 11.... um, er...

I have no idea!
Yes, 11

Does one have to have played from the very first round in order to be able to play?

Posted By: squid Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 11:04 AM
Hmmm...Should I choose bones, excrement, anglo-saxon or something completely different? They all seem equally believable...or unbelievable!!

I'll take 2 for the money!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 03:50 PM
Hmm . . . I like my submission best.

I'll go with 2.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 04:08 PM
Does one have to have played from the very first round in order to be able to play?

Shoot, no. Submit definitions when you can, and guess answers when you can. Just beware of scoring too high, or you'll end up being the moderator.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/08/01 11:57 PM
Playing the law of percentages I'll join Max in this one...14. Will I go down in his flames?

Posted By: rodward Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 09:44 AM
A large number of plausible entries. Number 4 by a whisker from all the rest.
Rod

Posted By: paulb Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 11:09 AM
2 for me

Posted By: Flatlander Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 11:10 AM
As I scrolled down the list of previous voters, I was beginning to get worried because no one had voted for the one I was going to choose, but then there was rodward, who validated my choice for 4.

Posted By: rodward Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 11:47 AM
then there was rodward, who validated my choice for 4.

Yep, the chad is really out and not just pregnant! On the other hand, if this voting is like queueing, I would never recommend anyone to join the queue I was standing in - I am always just behind the guy who's got 43 letters to different countries that all need weighing separately, or similar.
Rod

Posted By: Anonymous Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 02:05 PM
13 made me laugh, 14 tempted me, but i'll go with 2, if only because i'll be in such good company =)

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 02:48 PM
I'm not worrying that no one chose the one I like best... in fact, I'm voting for 1 in part because no one else has!

Posted By: Brandon Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 02:56 PM
This is making my head spin, so please pass me a No. 10.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 08:02 PM
Runs thru the back of my mind something having to do with a shield. Hence, my vote for #2.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: sceat -- polls are open - 07/09/01 09:25 PM
I'm with Bob. 2 for me too.

© Wordsmith.org