Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye dancette - the results - 06/06/01 01:56 PM
And here are the scores for DANCETTE, which means having large indentations, or an architectural molding with a zigzag pattern. Congrats to paulb for choosing the correct definition. The crafters of the definitions were (voters for those definitions indicated parenthetically):

a) a short dance Jimthedog

b) the setting for a formal ball; esp. a coming-out affair tsuwm (jimthedog, tsuwm)

c) a small Belgian doll from the mid 18th century thought to cure disease Jazzoctopus (rodward)

d) From the French dans, "in," and cette, f. form of "this," a repository for items of clothing near the entrance of a house. Geoff (Rhubarb Commando, Jazzoctopus)

e) a small knife with a double-pronged tip, used to sculpt vegetables Sparteye (Bridget96, Flatlander, Fiberbabe, Geoff, Rapunzel)

f) a portable hardwood surface used on carpetted areas in a hotel or other such establishment with no formal ballroom for people to dance on. wordcrazy (WhitmanO’Neill, satin)

g) In theatre, a brief chorus-line-style dancing interlude whilst the scene is being changed Bridget96 (Avy)

h) the actions of a football fan immediately after their team scores a goal paulb (Bingley)

i) having large indentations; an architectural molding with a zigzag pattern WEBSTER’S (paulb)

j) A short excerpt peformed from a longer work of choreography (a well-established ballet, for instance). WhitmanO’Neill (wordcrazy)

And if I correctly remember who had drinks, who only had the salad, and who got desserts, the scores now are:

Sparteye.....................6 + 5 = 11
tsuwm........................6 + 1 = 7
flatlander...................6
Geoff........................3 + 2 = 5
Bingley......................3 + 2 = 5
paulb........................1 + 3 = 4
wordcrazy....................1 + 2 = 3
wwh..........................3
fiberbabe....................3
RhubarbCommando..............3
Rapunzel.....................3
jimthedog....................2
WhitmanO’Neill...............1 + 1 = 2
Bridget96....................1 + 1 = 2
Jazzoctopus..................1 + 1 = 2
freckled_snout...............1
rodward......................1
Jackie.......................1

Posted By: Flatlander Re: dancette - the results - 06/06/01 03:19 PM
A great definition, Sparteye. What is it we were all thinking of? There must be some word like dancette that means a little knife of some kind.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: dancette - the results - 06/06/01 04:02 PM
b) the setting for a formal ball; esp. a coming-out affair tsuwm (jimthedog, tsuwm)

tsuwm voted for his own definition? I still don't "get" the rules...

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: dancette - the results - 06/06/01 04:09 PM
Well, if my lemmingly behavior helps illustrate the point, I voted with the knife in part because it seemed plausible enough, and in part because there were others who seemed to agree that it seemed plausible enough (therein reinforcing my own choice). Therefore, tsuwm (if I may be so bold) was attempting to throw a red herring in order to affect similar flocking. jimthedog came sniffing, but no one else bit... nice try, tsuwm. [shrug]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dancette - the results - 06/06/01 04:53 PM
ASp rasps tsuwm voted for his own definition? I still don't "get" the rules...

and I quote: 6. A player may vote for her own definition but scores points only for those others she can bluff into also voting for that definition.. (i.e., you can't get a rule 1 point that way!)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: rules - 06/06/01 05:25 PM
Thanks, you two. I get it now. Really.

© Wordsmith.org