Wordsmith.org
Posted By: blitherer Sentence of the week - 02/10/12 08:42 PM
The poseur aped the manners of the lummox to impress the dilettante, whilst the wastrel and the roue looked on with barely concealed smirks and titillation.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 02/10/12 11:28 PM
Bountiful use of words...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 02/10/12 11:31 PM
Yes it is fun and well done, but I could not do any as good or any better, as proposed in the other thread. The idea is nice though to make it a weekly thing perhaps?
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Sentence of the week - 02/11/12 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: blitherer
The poseur aped the manners of the lummox to impress the dilettante, whilst the wastrel and the roue looked on with barely concealed smirks and titillation.

A recalcitrant roue, ignoring the distractions of the flummoxed lummox, played the part of a pontificating, pedantic poseur while waylaying the wealthy, hammered wastrel who was arguing with the equally dipsomaniacal dilettante.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Sentence of the week - 02/11/12 01:56 AM
dipsomaniacal ?! grin
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 02/12/12 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
dipsomaniacal ?! grin

i.e a lush!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 02/17/12 04:14 PM
The promethean artist carved a junoesque figure in marble with seemingly dionysian abandon, guided invisibly by that supreme palladium, an apollonian mastery of technique.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 02/17/12 09:58 PM
Quite apollonianly done as a whole, keep it going. wink See you next week.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Sentence of the week - 02/17/12 11:42 PM
Dionysian and Apollonian are used in cultural anthropology to refer to people who, respectively, do or don't use psychotropic substances in their religious practice.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 02/18/12 02:58 AM
This is my entry smile

In a prometean move yesterday, an appollaoian Tennessee man's dionysian bid of $122.03, won him a junoesque treasure, when the safe he bought on eBay was opened without palladium to revel an astonishing $26,000.

I tried a fusion of modern story and ancient words...does it work?

This is News Story if you want to read it.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Sentence of the week - 02/18/12 03:54 AM
Hey, I forgot about this game! This is so cool! You know, it could also be fun to start it on a Monday, with just one sentence or phrase. Then somebody could add to it with the next day's word throughout the week. And if there's more than one story line, who cares? It's our game and we can make the rules!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 02/18/12 12:12 PM
Rools! We doan wan' no steenkin' rools!

Did somebody say use the five weekly words in one ______ ?

How about a limerick? [ducking-for-cover-e]

Maybe just a one-day/word limerick ?
Hmmm - a variation on sparteye's Game! It does have possibilities!
There is a sparty's game thread and a limerick thread already. Yes, fermented duck eggs for you, Wofa! Why not let this be clean as it came, a weekly phrase. No rools, no glittering prizes.
shoot >>>> the l i m e r i c k s

I admire Blither's clean compact phrases. Just enjoy!
There is, indeed, a Sparteye's Game thread, and I was the last to post on it, about a month ago. I am still patiently waiting for someone to take up my last challenge. No hurry - it'll come in time, no doubt.
Hey! Just seen your post, Candy! I managed ot miss it before - what a story and I love the way you've woven it into our weekly words!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 02/20/12 11:18 PM
It'sure ìs a crazy laugh story and the words do fit (bow Candy). On second thought it's a weird story. How did he get it? Did he have the key, if so how can you have the key of a safe you've never looked inside and not want to open it.

Did he sell it cheap because the key was missing. Was it a stolen safe? High time to set a PI on the case.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 02/22/12 01:13 PM
I had all those same questions too...Bran and no answers yet.

I hope more people have a go at penning a sentence this week...the words are looking interesting.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 11:35 AM
Despite the obstructive paraphenalia inherent in committees, our village Women's Institute and the Mother's Union, after years of mutual antipathy that reached down to their very viscera, declared a truce by promising not to use their respective insignia as graffiti on each other's meeting halls!
Some 10 years ago, there used to be a group called Partners in Rhyme who created limericks on Awad words. I do not know whether they are still around. Subscribers to the list could contribute. I used to.
I don't think I ever saw that, Avy. Did participants use all of the words, or just one or two at a time?
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 12:01 PM
Very good Rhuby....I cant imagine the woman of that institute spraying any walls with graffiti but crazy
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 12:03 PM
Nor can I!! That's what made me laugh as I wrote it.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 12:20 PM
Laughing at your own jokes....there is a saying about that...but I cant quite remember what?
Just one. Just sayin though not suggesting. I guess we are all 'ricked out.
>>I guess we are all 'ricked out.<< smile
Nah! - I can never get too much of 'ricks!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 04:41 PM
As a temporary truce had been declared, he adjusted his insignia and other military paraphernalia, departed on a sortie to inspect the curious battlefield graffiti of his enemies, and stepped on a improvised explosive device that erupted his viscera.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 04:48 PM
(applause) very good. You too Rhuby, back a page.
Originally Posted By: Avy
Some 10 years ago, there used to be a group called Partners in Rhyme who created limericks on Awad words. I do not know whether they are still around. Subscribers to the list could contribute. I used to.

but now, of course, we have the OEDILF
(OED in limerick form [wink, wink])

EDIT: random limerick

I love my new blower—it's cool,
And now it's my favorite tool!
I have stopped using rakes,
Since the breeze this thing makes
Blows my leaves in the neighbor's new pool
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 07:28 PM
Ha! laugh Blithe!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 08:54 PM
A great link, Michael - many thanks for it - and your Limerick is pretty cool to!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 02/24/12 08:56 PM
As a temporary truce had been declared, he adjusted his insignia and other military paraphernalia, departed on a sortie to inspect the curious battlefield graffiti of his enemies, and stepped on a improvised explosive device that erupted his viscera.

Excellent, blitherer!
Much more succinct than my rambling.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 02/25/12 12:10 PM
Yes blitherer, I agree....I enjoyed your sentence too.
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

but now, of course, we have the OEDILF
(OED in limerick form [wink, wink])

EDIT: random limerick

I love my new blower—it's cool,
And now it's my favorite tool!
I have stopped using rakes,
Since the breeze this thing makes
Blows my leaves in the neighbor's new pool

laugh :P
Good to have learnt the form and scansion, and meter. The rhyme I knew!!!
Avy--I'm so glad you're posting again! [HUG]
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 03/02/12 02:49 PM
"You can laugh at your own jokes if it is the first time you've heard them." ??
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 03/02/12 02:51 PM
During the festivities to celebrate the jubilee of the lyceum, the capricious French master made a cuckold of the Headmaster in the bucolic surroundings of the cricket pitch.

Edit or, to put it another way:-

The capricious French Master, with glee
Did cuckold the Headmaster, did he,
In a bucolic ditch
By the School’s cricket pitch
At the lyceum’s grand jubilee
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/02/12 02:58 PM
At the jubilee celebrating the founding of the lyceum, the inebriated cuckold made a capricious pass at a young bucolic.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Sentence of the week - 03/02/12 04:04 PM
Neither the bucolic surroundings nor the terpsichorean beauty of the murmurings emanating just now from the lyceum's dim stage were sufficient to distract the cuckolded fellow from the rueful anticipation of tomorrow's jubilee celebration with the capricious harpy who was his first and only love.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/03/12 08:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Rhubarb Commando
Excellent, blitherer!
succinct!

I quote Rhubarb's Commando's wise words. I didn't yet try any rambling of my own.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/09/12 01:41 PM
Trying to write a phat phrase, making goo-goo eyes at the words, and giving props to the slang theme, and trying to glom on to it, makes for a pretty shambolic sentence!
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Sentence of the week - 03/09/12 02:24 PM
Trying to write a phat phrase, making goo-goo eyes at the words, and giving props to the slang theme, and trying to glom on to it, makes for a pretty shambolic sentence!

Phat!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 03/09/12 05:21 PM
I'll give you best on this one, Blitherer!
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Sentence of the week - 03/09/12 09:33 PM

(Too bad he left out "grok" !)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/09/12 10:23 PM
Perfect again and now I tried some rambling. Children's book version.

Phat Cat made goo-goo eyes at Mouse who feigned giving him props but had no desire to glom on to his staring and made a wild shambolic escape.

Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/10/12 12:18 AM
Sweet!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/10/12 12:19 AM
When life hands you viscera, make IEDs?
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Sentence of the week - 03/11/12 06:20 AM

Washington is full of shambolic goo-goos, but I give them all props for glomming the phat ideas of the past century.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 03/12/12 10:53 AM
Kudos to those making a sentence this week. With so many slang words it couldn't have been easy.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/12/12 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

Washington is full of shambolic goo-goos, but I give them all props for glomming the phat ideas of the past century.

Would it be called nitpicking if I put to your's attention the fact that you added an s and a ming to the given words? I mean, how strict do we stay to the phat ideas of the past week's words?

(5 ....eighteen letter words for one sentence? )
Posted By: Faldage Re: Sentence of the week - 03/13/12 11:50 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Would it be called nitpicking if I put to your's attention the fact that you added an s and a ming to the given words?

This is a serious question when we seek to face the issue of, say, the number of words for snow in a given Second People's language.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 03/13/12 12:08 PM
Would it be called nitpicking if I put to your's attention the fact that you added an s and a ming to the given words? I mean, how strict do we stay to the phat ideas of the past week's words?

Not sure if this is nit-picking or not, Bran. I must say the same question had occurred to me and I havered over whether to post on it or not. In the end, I decided against but I'm very glad you've raised it!
Personally, being something of a purist, I fell we should take the words of the week as they appear, without alteration: but I can see arguments in favour of using them as roots from which one can grow creative plants!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/13/12 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
This is a serious question when we seek to face the issue of, say, the number of words for snow in a given Second People's language.

Just would like to know if it is this or "maybe this but on the other hand maybe that". A good oldfashioned clear choice. It's not about the importance of the issue.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Sentence of the week - 03/14/12 02:32 AM
As this isn't a contest, but an unscored game, I can't see what difference it makes, but ...

He's a shambolic goo-goo, but I give him props for his willingness to glom the phat ideas of the past century.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/14/12 07:44 AM
It's an unscored game but this is just more "elegant" ?
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/16/12 02:42 PM
On reaching the preantepenultimate chapter, the author subjects us to a harsh gedankenexperiment, asking us to leave our armchairs for a journey to a dystopian future in which a harsh reduction ad absurdum of the previous 3,000 pages ensues, stripping the story of all its former ambiguity and plurisignification, and we learn that the princesse lointaine had died centuries ago -- such are the labored plot manipulations of this lamentable genre of fiction!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/16/12 06:43 PM
I'm so glad no one will ask me to quote this one in front of an audience. smile
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/16/12 07:55 PM
Here is the revision (in which the word "harsh" is used but once):

On reaching the preantepenultimate chapter, the author subjects us to an abrupt gedankenexperiment, asking us to leave our armchairs for a journey to a dystopian future in which a harsh reductio ad absurdum of the previous 3,000 pages ensues, stripping the story of all its former ambiguity and plurisignification, and we learn that the princesse lointaine had died centuries ago -- such are the labored plot manipulations of this lamentable genre of fiction!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/16/12 08:00 PM
Ouch! Just realized I used the word "harsh" twice - guess I'll post an emended version.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/16/12 10:02 PM
Haha, I noticed that! but I did not want to nitpick twice in a week.
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: Sentence of the week - 03/17/12 03:59 AM
The gedankexperiment in the preantenultimate chapter is reductio absurdum. "Plurisignification functions", in its understandable form, only serves as a princesse lointaine; a goal unattainable.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/18/12 11:12 PM
smile I can't even give this one a try but ad a phrase to congratulate Anu on his passed 18th AWAD - birthday week.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/23/12 08:53 PM
To celebrate this week's theme of words having plurisignification, here are two sentences:

The doxy, now enceinte, shouted a sarcastic bravo at the cant and vituperation hurled upon her by the pug nosed cleric.

One doxy after another was debated within the enceinte; and a sinister bravo negotiated the cant surrounding the castle's pug mill.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/23/12 10:07 PM
laugh many possibilities then and good frases. Not sure if I can find time to bake one.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/24/12 02:37 PM
Could not resist.

"Please, dont give me that cant" said the doxy, while her pug set his teeth firmly into the bravo 's left leg, " being enceinte is not such a big deal".
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/28/12 02:08 PM
Bravo!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 03/30/12 02:45 PM
If we can subsume our ability to discomfit our adversaries into a general design of malice against them, we need not begrudge them their minor victories, while we avulse from them their very decency and machinate for their downfall.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 03/31/12 06:29 PM
This exterted some powerful energy as I could not just read it, I had to study it. I do not begrudge you your ability to get a good phrase out of these impossible words.
Posted By: Candy Re: Sentence of the week - 04/01/12 11:54 AM
Ouch! Just realized I used the word "harsh" twice - guess I'll post an emended version.

Dont be so 'harsh' on yourself, blither.....you are very good on this thead.

(I'll have a go at sentence tomorrow my time).
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/06/12 01:45 PM
After our waiter cried alley-oop and uncovered the costly kickshaw, he returned to the kitchen toot sweet to parry the demands of the inquisitive sous-chefs, and next raised a mayday over the grease fire that was consuming our entrées.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 04/06/12 02:46 PM
I really like this one, blitherer!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/06/12 09:39 PM
Yes, it's good fun this one but gee, I hadn't even noticed the week is over wordwise. Yes, good going. Tsjoo! Time flies!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/10/12 10:05 PM
You are too kind ... Many thanks!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/10/12 10:06 PM
I'm hoping this week's nautical theme won't leave me feeling seasick!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/11/12 06:43 AM
Maybe you could stabilize by contributing to some other thread?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Sentence of the week - 04/12/12 02:40 AM
EEP! Branny, I missed your birthday, at least in your time zone.

Happy belated, Dear, and I hope you had a really great day.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/12/12 12:47 PM
Yeep! Thanks Jackie. We celebrated last Sunday as we all work on Wednesday. Still yesterday was a pleasant and turbulant day with whipped cream eclairs for my students and a lovely out-dinner with son and grandson. All in all just one day older than the day before. grin
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 04/12/12 03:17 PM
Yes, happy belated birthday to you too.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/12/12 05:01 PM
Thanks, though does ending up in this thread mean Jackie supposes I celebrate all week? Hi, Jackie!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Sentence of the week - 04/13/12 01:40 AM
Darned right! And you deserve to! Cake! Ice cream! Strawberries dipped in chocolate!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/13/12 02:58 PM
"Avast!" cried the skipper at the scupper, "what's the scuttlebutt? - any end in sight to this doldrums? - and have ye got a bonanza of cargo?" when a sudden groundswell threatened to capsize both crafts.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 04/13/12 03:03 PM
Very good.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 04/13/12 04:08 PM
On learning of the groundswell of opinion, the CEO appealed to staff to disregard the scuttlebutt permeating the company and warning that, far from a bonanza in the near future, the current doldrums threatened to scupper their business.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 04/13/12 04:42 PM
Spoken like a true CEO. Bravo!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 04/14/12 03:40 PM
I'm afraid I never made it to CEO frown Best I did was the Engineering Innovations Executive Inspecting Officer - a title too long for the plate on my door, which just said

E..I..E..I..O
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 04/14/12 03:58 PM
McDonald's Farms, Inc. or (LTD.)?
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 04/14/12 04:29 PM
VERY limited!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Sentence of the week - 04/14/12 09:10 PM
All's well that groundswell.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/14/12 09:46 PM
In that small scuttlebutt village the perpetual groundswell of gossip scuppered the county fair bonanza, leaving summer festivities in the doldrums.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 04/15/12 01:56 PM
Congrats, Branny - that is so economical with words!
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: Sentence of the week - 04/15/12 03:48 PM
Amen Rhubarb, not to mention neat, concise, and coherent.
I guess it takes knowing two languages to master one if that one happens to be English.
Good show, Branny. smile
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/15/12 09:49 PM
Thanks >< I love concise, but mainly focussed on the non nautical use of the words. It just worked.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/15/12 11:08 PM
Marvelous!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/16/12 05:04 PM
Thank you, it looks like this week's words will provide even more angles.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/20/12 02:41 PM
His date, a paragon of virtue, could hardly countenance his conduct, though he tried to gloze his tendency to tarry and bluff his way out of having arrived an hour late.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/21/12 06:56 PM
I hope you will countenance my delay as I tarry to bluff you out of your good performance; I do not gloze the fact that you are the paragon of weekly phrases.

( Does this look like glozing? it ìs! )
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/23/12 02:25 PM
Bravo, BranShea!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/27/12 03:39 PM
It was his greatest foible, as well as his forte, that he handled with masterful élan every conversational riposte, yet felt himself immeasurably wounded by each touché of his interlocutor.
Posted By: bethann Re: Sentence of the week - 04/27/12 04:21 PM
Matching forte to forte and foible to foible their conversation admitted neither victory nor surrender until her last riposte, tossed over her shoulder with consummate élan as she paused in the open door, struck him with the force of a physical blow, leaving him only the breath to sigh "Touché."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 04/27/12 04:40 PM
Nice, welcome bethann
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/27/12 04:41 PM
Applause for your bold first post bethann, and eversosuccinct blitherer! Two conversational pieces. I still think: 'foible forte riposte élan touché... what stew to cook from this porridge?'.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/28/12 03:57 AM
En garde! Very nice, bethann!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 04/28/12 11:43 AM
A rather liberal use of the words and open to critisism but:

With foible fingers he had tried to play forte on the grand piano, but where was the élan which used to gain him that warm riposte of applause; had he really lost his touché?
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 04/28/12 02:09 PM
This tickles me ... bravo, BranShea!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 05/04/12 03:07 PM
He received counsel wise from his mentor,
Nestor gave love advice -- brave inventor!
"Neither hector nor bully
Your Tartary filly,
Young satyr, seize what heaven sent her!"
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/06/12 06:45 PM
Sorry blitherer. Besides them being impossible words I've had no time to get it together this weekend. I hope I will catch up in coming days and still try to understand the exacts from your brave sentence(s):~)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/09/12 07:22 PM
Young satyr, beware of choosing a nestor for your mentor; like a true hector he'll bully you the tartar off your teeth.

Midweek brilliance smirk
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 05/11/12 02:14 PM
Bon mots, BranShea! Terrific image there!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 05/11/12 02:17 PM
At first his position seemed tenable through the casuistry of his advisors, but the emergence of discrepant views rendered all his consuetudinary bonhomie unavailing.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/12/12 07:39 AM
Yeh, that's a nice crispy phrase, blither. No clue yet how to match or even come close to this one.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/14/12 09:22 AM
I must admit my incapacity here. A different angle of approach seems impossible to me. Very Good!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/15/12 06:23 AM
But on Greece and Europe?

No tenable arguments will change the discrepant measurements after frenetic casuistry has made them decide that consuetudinary attitudes can no longer be availing.

(not my usual vocabulary)
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 05/18/12 12:42 PM
As their captain attempted to triangulate a course, the first mate, normally a man of foursquare habit, was seen to swing on a makeshift trapeze slung between the fore and main topgallants, while the rest of the crew pursued one another in a vicious circle, performing actions entirely orthogonal to their duties.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/19/12 09:40 AM
Very nice mis en scene, Blither :~)
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 05/19/12 03:03 PM
Thanks, BranShea, I really had fun with that one! The other scenario that sprang to mind was a high school geometry class ... perhaps that will inspire you?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/19/12 07:37 PM
Aye! Maybe.. something may spring to mind coming days.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/20/12 01:46 PM
When Renaissance painters discovered orthogonal projection they made a foursquare reverence to it and swung the perspective trapeze obsessively, ending in the vicious circle of a triagulate position between reality and deception.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 05/25/12 01:33 PM
So obsessed was he with his copperplate hand, he became a virtual tin god, forever grasping for the brass ring of approval, with an iron curtain visage enlivened by the faint silver lining of a derisory smirk.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Clark Gable's moustache? - 05/25/12 08:55 PM
The faint silver lining of a derisory smirk???
Hajhaahah!
Clark Gable's moustache in 'Gone with the Wind'.
Good, good.....

I really like this set of words so I think I'll stretch the deadline till I get something out of them. If ever. smirk
Posted By: Irate Pan Size Re: Sentence of the week - 05/26/12 10:24 PM
Wow!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sentence of the week - 05/26/12 11:47 PM
confused
Posted By: Michael Scullin Re: Clark Gable's moustache? - 05/29/12 03:10 AM
Just to point out that the article on "brass ring" omitted the information that most of the rings in the dispenser were steel or iron. So simply catching a ring did not win a prize, unless the brass ring was the one being offered. Friends of mine learned to pull several rings in succession, in one pass, in case the brass was next or even two or three after the one visible. The ride operator could also swing the dispenser arm back so no rings were offered for a time, and no chance for a brass ring at all.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 05/29/12 09:47 PM
The marriage licence in fainted copperplate handwriting could not save her from acknowledging that he'd been just a tin god who never won the brass ring and the iron curtain that separated their once united hearts had no silver lining.

(and ain't it sad .... frown smile)
Posted By: blitherer Re: Clark Gable's moustache? - 06/01/12 01:47 PM
Ah, the game of life! So often it appears to be rigged ...
Posted By: blitherer Re: Clark Gable's moustache? - 06/01/12 01:48 PM
Ah, sorry I missed this -- brilliant, BranShea!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/01/12 01:52 PM
A tall marble monument marked the grave
Of one who'd been fashion's queen;
And I thought, "She is happier here at rest,
Than to have people say when seen:"

"She's only a bird in a gilded cage,
A beautiful sight to see.
You may think she's happy and free from care,
She's not, though she seems to be ..."
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/01/12 02:10 PM
The flagitious couple embarked on a spree of crime unchecked by the thewless forces of the law, he aping the manners of the flaneur, she those of the prima donna, and for villainous intent, neither would be proved a cunctator.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Sentence of the week - 06/01/12 03:41 PM
A tall marble monument marked the grave
Of one who'd been fashion's queen;
And I thought, "She is happier here at rest,
Than to have people say when seen:"

"She's only a bird in a gilded cage,
A beautiful sight to see.
You may think she's happy and free from care,
She's not, though she seems to be ..."

"She's sad when she thinks of her wasted life,
For Youth cannot live with Age,
Her beauty was sold
For a Rich man's gold;
She's a bird in a gilded cage."
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 06/02/12 11:12 AM
Ha, a combined cheerful laugh intermezzo of lovely poetry. I'm behind with even reading last weeks words. There's too much to do. So Blither, thanks for the sentence ( always giving me the advantage of having an examplary example). Hope to make it before midweek.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 06/03/12 07:28 PM
You can't expect a thewless cunctator to be a prima donna flaneur on the flagitious boardwalk.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/09/12 10:00 AM
We do not enjoin our liege from any desideratum: so may he nickel-and-dime his way through life, or spend his patrimony to a prodigious degree; and we have no power or desire to cull his decisions.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/09/12 10:01 AM
Posting from Berlin; please excuse tardiness!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Sentence of the week - 06/10/12 03:26 AM
Ooh! Hope you're having a great time, Sweetie!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/11/12 08:57 AM
Danke schön!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 06/11/12 02:08 PM
No prodigious phrase, no Wortschatz to cull from, no liege to make me enjoin this contrary adventure, so I'll content myself to give y'all this nickel-and-dime treatment. grin ( the hollow phrase society)

However, bleib gesund und munter, ganz toll und tapfer u.s.w.!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/18/12 04:08 PM
Her propensity to ratiocinate tended to redound upon her (though not always in a good way), but this did not daunt her, as her tenacity enabled her to exculpate her clients, and thus her reputation could perdure.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/18/12 04:09 PM
Apologies for tardiness, I'm still in Berlin (viel Spaß!)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 06/20/12 07:26 PM
Have a nice time in Berlin. Five verbs are not managable in my case. I have a vacation too this week. Cheers.
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 06/27/12 02:37 PM
His willingness to adulate did not persuade, and, her sere skin ablated, she lost all facial esthenia, requiring her physician to ausculate.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 06/27/12 08:32 PM
Welcome back. It looks like a very good sentence but as these are words... I already forgot what they mean except for adulate.
I adulate your sentence but I think Anu makes it more difficult every next week. I skipp this one, the actual ones look more familiar. So, Friday.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 07/01/12 06:16 PM
My complice and I, can we with sufficient durance monish the versal world of slick advertiser's suation?
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 07/12/12 02:14 PM
Bravo, BranShea!
Posted By: blitherer Re: Sentence of the week - 07/13/12 02:52 PM
Excessive pudeur had never afflicted our femme fatale, who, on opening a billet-doux of a risqué bent, settled back into her chaise in simpering, provocative deshabille.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Sentence of the week - 07/20/12 03:50 PM
Late because of out of town and out of computer.
A belated French kiss from an English civil servant.

Samuel Pepys' femme fatale was often a maid or a shopkeeper's daughter, for who he would overcome his persistent pudeur and as billet doux would try a caresse risqué which occasionally resulted in the much pursued deshabille.

(so much for history (1633-1703) )
Posted By: BranShea Re: To knit or not to knit - 07/22/12 09:47 PM
"Purl many rows to make a fey cote the fisc can't touch", was the kind stranger's coze.
Posted By: blitherer Re: To knit or not to knit - 08/20/12 03:58 PM
That would take a lot of purling, BranShea! -- but I like it!
Posted By: BranShea Re: To knit or not to knit - 08/22/12 08:49 PM
I'm still knitting and no time left for weekly sentences ...
© Wordsmith.org