Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bexter Toozle results - 02/14/11 07:51 PM
Sorry it has taken so long t put the results up! crazy I have been away from my computer for a while ill...here are the results...it was fun to follow the comments toozle begat and I hope you enjoy its true meaning!

A toozle – the screw that holds together the two blades of a pair of scissors [Avy] BranShea

B toozle – in Scotland, with golf, when a tee-off goes awry [LukeJavan8] Owlbow

C toozle – to pull about, especially applied to any rough dalliance with a female [True definition – Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary 1898-1905] Jackie

D toozle – n., [< Hung. ducel, leaf] a confetti particle with multiple bends applied to induce spinning as it falls [Aramis] Avy, LukeJavan8

E toozle – to muss up playfully (var. of tousle) [wofahulicodoc]

F toozle – a South African drink made of fermented rooibos, (rooibosch), tea and local herbs [Owlbow]

G toozle – Toozle Sticks are small sticks, commonly made of plastic, used to stir mixed drinks or garnish cocktails. The pointed end is designed to skewer fruit and the decorative heads are shaped like palm trees, flamingos and tropical fruits. The toozle portion of the toozle stick name originated from the Caribbean cocktail, Rum Toozle [Candy]

H toozle – a small Scottish fipple flute, similar to a penny whistle but usually made of wood [Faldage] twosleepy

I toozle – a blacksmith tool used to spread hot coals [Jackie] Buffalo Shrdlu, wofahulicodoc, olly

J toozle - vb to persuade someone to do something illegal; n a fraudful deal [BranShea] Faldage

K too-zle – v. 1. To dishevel or disarrange, as with hair. Variant of "tousle" [OE] [twosleepy]

L toozle – a blend of too and puzzle, meaning: confuse someone again (and again), usually causing even more confusion [elifit] Candy
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle results - 02/14/11 08:43 PM
well, there are two(2) issues here which can't be just glossed over; (1) E and K being virtually identical (K actually getting a vote), and (2) this definition from Century Dictionary: A dialectal variant of tousle, and 'to pull about roughly' from other old dictionaries.

actually, these two are intertwined, aren't they?!
______

we do have guidelines for both of these situations: in the case of (nearly) duplicate entries, simply reject the second, asking for a retry from that person (or you could reject them both, if you don't want to give someone a slight advantage); in the case of a daffynition which approximates the actual, see rules 4 & 5:
4. [no] points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning [rather, the moderator shall request a resubmittal]
5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored (or the moderator can disqualify obvious attempts to sabotage the game :-Þ )
Posted By: Aramis Re: Toozle Results - 02/14/11 08:47 PM
Three takers and the correct answer! Jackie is awesome, besides the obvious. I was giving it one more day to ponder then missed voting. No idea what fipple is about but was going with H; sorry Fal.
Posted By: bexter Re: Toozle results - 02/14/11 08:51 PM
Well, in the dictionary in which I found the word the variant of tousle did not appear. It had a connection to the word
touzly - ruffled, shaggy
So I felt happy at letting tousle in...as for the almost duplicates, I felt them sufficiently different and received them so close together that I thought that I would let them stand.
I went with what I found in my dictionary and so find that the daffys and the actual meaning were non-overlapping and I stand by my decision.
smile smirk

p.s. sorry for not reminding everyone about voting! What with feeling under the weather I plain forgot! woops! crazy Sorry Aramis!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle results - 02/14/11 09:32 PM
I see that I misinterpreted the results; i.e., neither E nor K got a vote (which is as expected, with both being marked variant of tousle). blush oops.
____

also, the last remark under the roolz: scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster® [see latest round, e.g.]. whinging to the hogmaster, while encouraged, has been shown to be completely ineffectual, has been ably demonstrated.

grin
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 02:22 AM
I think you had an excellent word which encouraged
quite a variety of daffynitions. Great going, bex.
Hope you are feeling better.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 02:23 AM

C toozle – to pull about, especially applied to any rough dalliance with a female [True definition – Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary 1898-1905] Jackie

CONGRATULATIONS, JACKIE.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 03:05 AM
So I get no points for getting a right answer? Doesn't seem fair...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 04:22 AM
Originally Posted By: twosleepy

that's correct. the idea is to *guess* the correct def'n, from those submitted; not to *submit* the a right answer.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 04:37 AM
I cannot accept kudos for Hubby's definition; he, however, is highly pleased! And I thank you for not disqualifying a sub.

When I told him the real def., he said, "A toozle with a floozle". smile
Posted By: Faldage Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Aramis
No idea what fipple is about...

Fipple
Posted By: Candy Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 12:23 PM
FIPPLE....that might have been the next hogwash word.

I'm disappointed with my entry....I love the idea but it was tooooo long in the defining, and nobody was persuaded blush though I did think someone would ask for the rum toozle cocktail recipe!

Thanks Bex and everyone who participated...another great round.
Posted By: Avy Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 01:49 PM
Thank you Branny for choosing the most boring daffy of the lot; thank you bex for running the round despite; thank you all for a good game.
And thank tsu-s for creating a game that Lewis Carrol would have considered for wonderland.

Alice: but I don't understand it.
Pig: You're not supposed to understand it.
Alice: but if I can't understand it, how can I play it?
Pig: You just do. We do. We all play it all the time even if we can't understand it.
Alice: curiouser... etc.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 02:18 PM
Are we certain about the real definition? Still leaning H here. grin
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 03:06 PM
>the real definition

well, you knew this was coming, right?!

from OEDonline:
/ˈtaʊz(ə)l/ Sc. /ˈtuz(ə)l/
Forms: ME, 17 tousel, (ME Sc. towsill, 16 -ell, 18 towsel), 15– tousle; 16– touzle, (17–18 towzle, 18 -zel, Sc. and north. toozle)
Etymology: Iterative of touse v.: see -le suffix 3. Compare Low German tûseln
a. trans. To pull about roughly; to handle (esp. a woman) rudely or indelicately; to disorder, dishevel (the hair, clothes, etc.); = touse v. 1a, 1c, 2.

touse Now rare.
a. trans. To pull roughly about; to drag or push about; to handle roughly; of a dog: to tear at, worry
c. To pull (a woman) about rudely, indelicately, or in horse-play; to tousle. Obs.
______

you can see now how Rule A came to be..
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 03:33 PM
Nice job Jackie.

You can all feel lucky that you didn't choose my def.
That stuff is horrible.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I cannot accept kudos for Hubby's definition; he, however, is highly pleased! And I thank you for not disqualifying a sub.

When I told him the real def., he said, "A toozle with a floozle". smile

Years of dalliance, I suppose, before he met you and was
toozled for the last time???
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle Results - 02/15/11 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Avy
Thank you Branny for choosing the most boring daffy of the lot; thank you bex for running the round despite; thank you all for a good game.
And thank tsu-s for creating a game that Lewis Carrol would have considered for wonderland.

Alice: but I don't understand it.
Pig: You're not supposed to understand it.
Alice: but if I can't understand it, how can I play it?
Pig: You just do. We do. We all play it all the time even if we can't understand it.
Alice: curiouser... etc.

There was a time when I was a counselor at a summer camp
and some of the older boys invented this preposterous
game with rocks, string, wood scraps and coded words,
which they played for hours on end to the consternations
of the younger boys. The older ones would not tell the
rules (there were none)and only lamented that education
was going down the drain(?) if schools did not teach this
game any more.
Curioser.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
Originally Posted By: twosleepy

that's correct. the idea is to *guess* the correct def'n, from those submitted; not to *submit* the a right answer.

But it really shouldn't have happened. I had no idea it was a correct definition, I was just going with my gut on what it seemed like. My submission should have been rejected so I could make another. Right?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle results - 02/15/11 06:52 PM
yep.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 03:32 AM
I'm disappointed with my entry.... Well--what you described are actually called twizzle sticks, here. I just thought it was a bit too close.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 03:43 AM
>twizzle sticks

really?! or is it swizzle sticks..
Posted By: Jackie Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 03:45 AM
Ruh roh--you're right! I had conflated that with Twizzlers, I reckon. Thanks.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 03:57 AM
I too have never heard them called "twizzle" sticks,
always "swizzle" sticks.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 04:42 AM
I eliminated G just because it sounded more like someone trying to describe the thing than like a dictionary definition. I would have done that more like:
Quote:
toozle – A small stick, commonly made of plastic, used to stir mixed drinks or garnish cocktails. It has a pointed end designed to skewer fruit and a decorative head. So called from its use in the Caribbean cocktail, Rum Toozle
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 06:40 AM
swizzle stick actually has a OL index of 26! (and the Quick definition is 'a small stick used to stir mixed drinks')
Posted By: BranShea Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 12:28 PM
the most boring daffy of the lot; Alice: curiouser... etc.

I tried for the real one this time and I thought your one interesting. I even looked at my scissors closely and the screw there isn't an ordinary screw which ( I know now ) is also called 'nut'.
(but it might have been called toozle for my taste as well)

scissors

@ Faldage, thanks a lot; one more for a hat trick. smile
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
the most boring daffy of the lot; Alice: curiouser... etc.

I tried for the real one this time and I thought your one interesting. I even looked at my scissors closely and the screw there isn't an ordinary screw which ( I know now ) is also called 'nut'.
(but it might have been called toozle for my taste as well)

scissors

@ Faldage, thanks a lot; one more for a hat trick. smile

Who knew there was such a complete description of
scissors and the nut which holds them together?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 04:28 PM
I believe all of the scissors in our house have a screw and not an adjustable nut. (just wanted to use the plural of scissors. : )
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 05:00 PM
I don't know my scissors well enough to say, and
am not going to do an inventory, someone would get left out.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 07:05 PM
As long as you don't need all your spectacles to distinguish all your scissors from all your pants there's no need to worry.
(what else of plural plurals have you got?) smirk
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Toozle Results - 02/16/11 09:07 PM
Good point. Trousers? They are pants, of course.
© Wordsmith.org