Wordsmith.org
Posted By: zeroid Lewis Carroll anagram - 02/03/11 09:46 AM
Some say that the anagram 'eleven plus two = twelve plus one" is due to Lewis Carroll. Can anyone supply the exact reference, please?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lewis Carroll anagram - 02/03/11 12:11 PM
I've learned one interesting thing. An anagram of this sort, where the anagram and the original are identical in meaning, is called an anugram(!). I couldn't find anything to suggest that this particular anugram is due to either Lewis Carroll or Charles Dodgson.
Posted By: tsuwm eleven plus two.. - 02/03/11 02:43 PM
okay, this is widely quoted as an example of an 'anugram' (and I note that Anu glosses it in his anagrams odds & ends with not so much as a hint of explanation or even a smirk). but, while not having done any extended research, I didn't note any *other examples.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: eleven plus two.. - 02/03/11 03:13 PM
here are some "clever" anagrams, some of which may be true:
clever? true??

the comments to this list include claims for origin/dates, and one such claim is this:
Eleven plus two =
Twelve plus one.
Melvin O. Wellman, 1948

here's some support for the Wellman claim:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-118185171.html

anyone care to verify the following?
To be or not to be: that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. = In one of the Bard’s best-thought-of tragedies, our insistent hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten.
Posted By: zeroid Re: Lewis Carroll anagram - 02/03/11 09:02 PM
Is called an 'anugram' by whom? Not me, and I think I'm entitled to an opinion. The following two Spanish anagrams are my own: uno + catorce = cuatro + once (1 + 14 = 4 + 11) and dos + trece = tres + doce (2 + 13 = 3 + 12)[first pub. in Word Ways, Feb 1992, Vol 25, No 1]. But I would still like to know who is responsible for two + eleven = one + twelve.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Lewis Carroll anagram - 02/03/11 09:07 PM
one is left to assume, then, that you don't buy Wellman?!
Posted By: olly Re: eleven plus two.. - 02/03/11 09:52 PM
anyone care to verify the following?

its all here tsuwm = Hamlets wit rules
Posted By: Jackie Re: eleven plus two.. - 02/04/11 02:06 AM
OMG! OLLY!
You are WONderful, sir! Hands down winnah and hats off to you!
Posted By: zeroid Re: eleven plus two.. - 02/04/11 10:45 AM
Okay Joe, many thanks for the link.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: eleven plus two.. - 02/05/11 03:27 AM
minimalist anugram:

YEA = AYE
Posted By: Jackie Re: eleven plus two.. - 02/05/11 04:25 AM
Even more minimalist: (I) AM MA.
Posted By: A C Bowden Re: eleven plus two.. - 04/17/13 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I've learned one interesting thing. An anagram of this sort, where the anagram and the original are identical in meaning, is called an anugram(!). I couldn't find anything to suggest that this particular anugram is due to either Lewis Carroll or Charles Dodgson.

A topical anugram for today:

MARGARET THATCHER = THAT GREAT CHARMER

(No, I didn't make it up myself...)
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: eleven plus two.. - 04/18/13 07:45 PM
Anbd, from a few years back - commenting on the leader of the Democratic Unionist Party in Northern Ireland, the doughty
REV IAN PAISLEY = VILE IRA PANSY
© Wordsmith.org