Wordsmith.org
Onamography is a new language-based puzzle concept that made its debut in a top-selling Australian newspaper. It's a writing style that creatively incorporates Proper Nouns (company names, celebrities etc) in regular English sentences.

Here's a sentence (it's called an onnicle) to illustrate the concept:
Gargling is the best utility for an untrained throat.

It's got the names Anu and Stuti Garg (AWAD's first family) embedded in it.

Anu --> an untrained
Stuti --> best utility
Garg --> Gargling

Solving and creating onnicles requires a combination of creativity, pattern recognition skills, wit, language skills and general knowledge.

Here's another one for you to solve:
Onnicle: The man at the bar acknowledged that he found the job amateurish.
OnniClue: Top post

When you solve an onnicle, don't just stop there. Keep the thread going by creating another onnicle with some other personality's name in it.

Anyone willing to start the party?
It seems you already have.

The man at the Bar acknowledged that he found the jOb amateurish

Onnicle: Bad-Luck Paco was looking for love and met a terrific chick (engaged, of course.)
Onniclue: William-Joseph
Quote:
Bad-Luck Paco was looking for love and met a terrific chick (engaged, of course.)
Onniclue: William-Joseph

Dunno if this is what you had in mind, but if William-Joseph is Billy-Joe and he's a hillbilly then your sentence contains a cow, a tater, and a chicken...
William-Joseph is William Hanna and Joseph Barbera.

You're close!
'Cow and Chicken'

Onnicle: The SMS said..Bob ill. The rag ate sick Shellfish!

Onniclue: computer whiz kid, Harvard dropout
Welcome, TGR (and they often do.)

The SMS said..BoB ill. The raG ate sick Shellfish!

Onnicle: Chotti, German by descent, was a notorious womanizer in the Brentwood section of town.
Onniclue: At least fore, likely more.
Originally Posted By: beck123
Welcome, TGR (and they often do.)

The SMS said..BoB ill. The raG ate sick Shellfish!

Onnicle: Chotti, German by descent, was a notorious womanizer in the Brentwood section of town.
Onniclue: At least fore, likely more.

Onnicle: She's a rah-rah girl, trying to be your pal intent on rousing the rabble.

Onniclue: I'll ask a question.
A pretty impressive start! I was hoping to find creative folks on this thread who could pick up the concept quickly and hit the ground running. You guys have more than surpassed my expectations. Hope more creative souls join the tribe.

If you are looking for bigger challenges, try out the Onnicle Challenge 5.

Also hoping to build up the fan base on Facebook. A little support from the AWAD fans out here would be nice.

The onnicle posted by Faldage is still up for grabs.
Originally Posted By: Faldage

Onnicle: She's a rah-rah girl, trying to be your pal intent on rousing the rabble.

Onniclue: I'll ask a question.

Too easy! Sarah Palin :0)

Be back with a new one later; feel free to jump over me...
Onnicle: Chicken Teka Kabob by Iron chef, lay untouched on the judging table!
Onniclue: Really...need one?
Originally Posted By: ToughGirlsRule
Onnicle: Chicken Teka Kabob by Iron chef, lay untouched on the judging table!
Onniclue: Really...need one?

Nah. Bobby Flay

Okay, I made one. It's probably really easy, but I had fun with it:

Onnicle: The gorgeous contestant, a semiprofessional model, presented a statuesque beauty of a very high caliber, tying the record for the highest overall score.

Onniclue: Tres chic!
Originally Posted By: twosleepy

Okay, I made one. It's probably really easy, but I had fun with it:

Onnicle: The gorgeous contestant, a semiprofessional model, presented a statuesque beauty of a very high ca liber,ty ing the record for the highest overall score.

Onniclue: Tres chic!
Very cleverly made, twosleepy. I cannot present one. Only do the guessing.
Good one indeed twosleepy!

Onnicle: K-Mart has a kit to baste war tees.

Onniclue: 'White Collar' crime! Who cares? Diva will always be a Diva!
I see the answer but I cannot offer a new one. I know too little Diva's and Divo's (this one I knew and checked) and things like Am. stuff. So I'll leave the whole thing to one who can do the two?
Good one indeed twosleepy!

Onnicle: K-Mart has a kit to baste war tees.

Onniclue: 'White Collar' crime! Who cares? Diva will always be a Diva!

Onnicle:The Sephardic Kabbalah rose like a phoenix on the ashes of the Reconquista.

Onniclue: It's tricky.
Dick Nixon!

(tricky use of the preposition "on" was the real clue)

Onnicle: The police showed the victim a nice line-up of hookers, with the usual suspects - Traci and Candi - on the ends.

Onniclue: I will always love using divas in my onnicles.
Dick Nixon!

(tricky use of the preposition "on" was the real clue)

Onnicle: The police showed the victim a nice line-up of hookers, with the usual suspects - Traci and Candi - on the ends.

Onniclue: I will always love using divas in my onnicles.
Onnicle: Peppa blogs about the epic Asso commune, in Lombardy (Italy).

Onniclue: Few letters here and there and it's what Google calls it's free photo editing software!
Onnicle: Peppa blogs about the epic Asso commune, in Lombardy (Italy).

Onniclue: Few letters here and there and it's what Google calls it's free photo editing software!

Although I know nothing about Google's software.... :0)
Should have done a Google Search smile Google's free photo editing software - Picasa! Ur turn to roll an onnicle!
Pablo Picasso. Good one!

Onnicle: "I missed the hadj? Oh, no! There's no way next year's trip to Mecca could compare to this year's."

Clue: An actor who, as a young man, met Wyatt Earp on a movie set.
Pablo Picasso. Good one!

Onnicle: "I missed the hadj? Oh, no! There's no way next year's trip to Mecca could compare to this year's."

Clue: An actor who, as a young man, met Wyatt Earp on a movie set.

John Wayne!

Onnicle: Drop dead eminent Actress paid Sumo, orey-eyed wrestler, huge sums of money!

Onniclue: Drop dead eminent Actress
Demi Moore!

Onnicle: "I put carob in, so now it tastes like chocolate. And I colored it a bland ecru, so everyone will be surprised by the strong flavor."

Clue: Not Captain Cook, but an island dweller, nonetheless.
[quote=beck123]
"I put carob in, so now it tastes like chocolate. And I colored it a bland ecru, so everyone will be surprised by the strong flavor."

Robinson Crusoe

Onnicle: They interviewed a self-professed nomad on National Geographic.

OnniClue: If papa had only preached.
They interviewed a self-professed nomad on National Geographic.

Onnicle: her malady produces many a gag and tortured look.
omniclue: the malady lingers on
LADY GAGA!

Onnicle: The old French couple paid their vingtième with materials they gleaned from above the timber line

Clue: The Melody Lingers On
LADY GAGA!

Onnicle: The old French couple paid their vingtième with materials they gleaned from above the timber line

Clue: The Melody Lingers On

Onnicle: My current mania for trivia gradually occupies more and more of my scarce time!

Onniclue: Life has its ups and downs...
My current mania for triVIA GRAdually occupies more and more of my scarce time!

The generic name of which is (observe at your own risk)...
Click to reveal..
mycoxaflopin

Onnicle: "My six-dollar Trojan is ripped! I'll bet this never happened to great men like Jefferson, Tojo, Pliny the Elder, or even Bill Clinton!"

Clue: You could say this left the poor guy busted flat
Janis Joplin

My six-dollar Trojan is ripped! I'll bet this never happened to great men like Jefferson, Tojo, Pliny the Elder, or even Bill Clinton!"

Onnicle: If anagram bores you try a more complicated form of amusement.

Clue: No need to bleed
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Onnicle: If anagram bores you try a more complicated form of amusement.

Clue: No need to bleed

Is there more? It took me a bit to find that, but I'm not sure if you have more in there! Nice one! (And you said you couldn't do it.... bah!) :0)
That was it. Nja, as long as I keep it simple...

Is there more? It took me a bit to find that, but I'm not sure if you have more in there! Nice one! (And you said you couldn't do it.... bah!) :0)

Till we have the next one from twosleepy, here's a simple one.

Onnicle: Give me Gantt charts of Oxford

OnniClue: The hot one taught us - man and machine can coexist
That was Irving Berlin

The old French couple paid theIR VINGtième with materials they gleaned from above the timBER LINe

(who once sued Mad Magazine for parodying his song "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody") a few pages ago.

And that is Megan Fox

Give ME GANtt charts oF OXford

Onnicle: Sign at the jam establishment: you must enjoy certain sweet substances to appreciate life.
OnniClue: yes I said yes I will Yes
Sign at the JAM EStablishment: you must enJOY CErtain sweet substances to appreciate life.
OnniClue: yes I said yes I will Yes

Onnicle: It seems to me, while house hunting, ecru is everyone's favorite color.
OnniClue: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
TOM CRUISE!

Onnicle: His postings on the billboard near the Big K-Mart in town gave Marilu the reason she sought for taking him as her husband.

Onniclue: Hopefully in Atlanta, not Memphis.

Onnicle: His postings on the billboard near the Big K-Mart in town gave Marilu the reason she sought for taking him as her husband.

Martin Luther King

Onnicle: Though onnicles are tricky to create, smart intelligent folks on this thread will emerge victorious.

Onniclue: Crossover star
Originally Posted By: Onamography
Onnicle: Though onnicles are tricky to create, smart intelligent folks on this thread will emerge victorious.[/b]

Onniclue: Crossover star

Onnicle: Although some may consider her a bitch, arrogantly tossing her hair and prancing, she really is funny!

Onniclue: Livin' la vida loca!
Onniclue: Crossover star [/quote]

Onnicle: Although some may consider her a bitch, arrogantly tossing her hair and prancing, she really is funny!

Onniclue: Livin' la vida loca![/quote]

You must mean CHARO aka María Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Moquiere de les Esperades Santa Ana Romanguera y de la Najosa Rasten. CHARRO is a movie from the 60's starring Elvis

Onnicle: Metropolitan revives Don Giovanni, music lovers delight!

Onniclue: The abc's of fox.
Well, in my defense, she pronounces her own name incorrectly, then! She always puts a HUGE rolled r in the middle, which must be written with rr in Spanish. Just sayin'...

Although some may consider her a bitch, a royal princess, tossing her hair and prancing, she really is funny!
Quote:

Onnicle: Metropolitan revives Don Giovanni, music lovers delight!

Onniclue: The abc's of fox.

Don Imus

Onnicle: All that lying and hiding facts, led the sweet talker John Edwards to his political ruins!

Onniclue: Ben Kingsley
Onnicle: All that lying and hiding facts, led the sweet talker John Edwards to his political ruins!

Onniclue: Ben Kingsley [/quote]

Gandhi

Onnicle:John should have see "Muirel's Wedding"

Onniclue: Sierra Club
John Muir!

Onnicle: She: ["Sheesh, will I ever get him to leave?"]
He: ["With any luck at all, I may stay the night."]

Clue: This guy's certainly out in left field.
Originally Posted By: kah454

Onnicle:John should have see "Muirel's Wedding"

Onniclue: Sierra Club

Is that supposed to be a movie? If so, the title is "Muriel's Wedding", which actually negates the onnicle...
If the penult is negated, do I have to write mine (i.e., the ult) backwards to have it count?
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Amazing! - 04/14/10 01:53 AM
Quote:

Say hey, wasn't he mostly in center field?
Posted By: ToughGirlsRule Re: Amazing! - 04/14/10 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc
Quote:

Willie Mays

Onnicle: Sometimes danger lurks around rather unexpected places.

Onniclue: The missing link that connects selling watermelons, Obama and healthcare!
Gandhi

Onnicle: I salute the man who rushed to save Tina, for she would have died.

Onniclue: 12'o clock children :P
Answer: Salman Rushdie

Let's defer tricky ones for now and stick to simple ones till we have more folks participating.

Onnicle: The stony silence would perturb lair-trapped animals at night.

OnniClue: Love's labour lost
Tony Blair

Onnicle: The charming and benevolent Mrs. Dolores Delmar Gareth, who cherishes and cuddles the weak and the poor, is after all not that cherished herself.

Clue: fetch it far
Tony Blair

Onnicle: The charming and benevolent Mrs. Dolores Delmar Gareth, who cherishes and cuddles the weak and the poor, is after all not that cherished herself.

Margaret Thatcher

My onnicle is still up for grabs! Gandhi was for a previous one.

Onniclue: The missing link that connects selling watermelons, Obama and healthcare!

Tony Blair

Margaret Thatcher

My onnicle is still up for grabs! Gandhi was for a previous one.

Dan Rather

Onnicle: Theories abound about a misplaced center of gravity being the cause of accidents involving the flipping of vans and SUV's. Turns taken too fast can make one go ghostly pale.

Onniclue: Painter's Dealing Brother.
Posted By: beck123 Re: Amazing! - 04/14/10 09:29 PM

Yep. I was shooting for the clue "out" and "field" and never gave the "left" a thought. Oops.
Originally Posted By: kah454

Onnicle: Theories abound about a misplaced center of gravity being the cause of accidents involving the flipping of vans and SUV's. Turns taken too fast can make one go ghostly pale.

Onniclue: Painter's Dealing Brother.

Theo Van Gogh! (the only person to purchase one of his brother's paintings while Vincent was alive)

Onnicle: Fasting won't save the rainforests.

Clue: Maybe another concert will.
>Fasting won't save the rainforests

onnicle: Do you think Haiti has a rainforest²?

clue: ² isn't sub, it's super.
-joe (2 clever by ½) friday
-joe (2 clever by ½) friday [/quote]

Sara Forestier

Onnicle: The Mayo Youth clinic is offering a free seminar for Stress Management for Teenagers.

Onniclue: From Silk Road!

Sara Forestier is incorrect! (although I can sort of see how you arrived there (although I'd never heard of her until now))
Good try, Toughie. I can't make heads nor tails of it, myself. I do have yours figured out, but I won't post until we've figured out t's.
-joe (2 clever by ½) friday

I came so close to complimenting u over ur creative clue! In my defense, there wasn't any Forestiest and so..

Is it Hot Import Nights new crown jewel, Tahnee Miss HIN of the 2010 Super Show Tour?
Depending on how svelt Tahnee is or isn't, "Miss HIN" may mean "Hull Identification Number."
I see "youth train" in there, if rainforest(squared) means "rainforestrainforest." (Maybe Sting would know.)

I am expressly not expressing any confidence in this being the answer.
That totally makes sense!
Oh, sure, but what the heck is "Youth Train?" Some new act by the grandson of Don Cornelius?
I bombed out on Bobbie Flay.

-joe (2 clever by ½) friday [/quote]

The 2 isn't sub, it's super...superscript??

scripture??

ITIHASA is Hindu scripture...
Do you think Haiti has a rainforest²?

need some help?!

rainforests :: Sting
Haiti :: ??
Very reclusive. Hasar?
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
Do you think Haiti has a rainforest²?

need some help?!

Haiti :: ??

Think Haiti?
to be more explicit about the previous nomenclature..
rainforests is to Sting
as
Haiti is to ??

edit: there's usually a telling reason behind that which looks unusual in an onnicle (unless it's a red herring.. which this isn't)
Since tsuwm is currently silent about the answers proffered, I'll proffer a new one to work on:

That I know of, he was never arrested for being a john, but did seem to enjoy poetry, as many will; iambic pentameter the most popular vehicle, (not a motorcar...), sonnet, haiku, cinquain or ode, I think he just liked to rhyme!

Whew! Pretty obvious, but I had fun making it.... :0)
>Since tsuwm is currently silent about the answers proffered, I'll proffer a new one to work on:

I thought that my latest post made it pretty obvious that everyone is still wrong, wrong, wrong!

edit: plus I left yet another clue!
Haiti :: Everyone!

I don't think anyone's going to get this, so...

Do you think Haiti has a rainforest²? link
The say the obvious is the most obscure.
I was stuck on Do Thi Hai and was trying to figure out how "yen" could fit in. I guess in a way as that is what U2 would be raising. Good One!

Onnicle: From the Music Director: Those choir members who exhibit symptoms of St Vitus Dance are not to be ringers in the hand bell ensemble.

Onniclue: Great Dane of Alaska
Good one, tsu. Great one!
VITUS (JONAS) BERING!

Onnicle: The judges found his sonata far and away the better of the two pieces. Her essay was good, but she had to settle for second place in the talent competition.

Clue: An Arab has the right to left-handedness, same as any other person

Don't be so hasty next time whistle
Since tsuwm is currently silent about the answers proffered, I'll proffer a new one to work on:

That I know of, he was never arrested for being a john, but did seem to enjoy poetry, as many will;iam bic pentameter the most popular vehicle, (not a motorcar...), son net, haiku, cinquain or ode, I think he just liked to rhyme!

Did you mean
William Carson
or
William Larve ? smile
[quote=twosleepy]Since tsuwm is currently silent about the answers proffered, I'll proffer a new one to work on:

That I know of, he was never arrested for being a john, but did seem to enjoy poetry, as many will;iam bic pentameter the most popular vehicle, (not a motorcar...), son net, haiku, cinquain or ode, I think he just liked to rhyme!

John William “Johnny” Carson
smile I meant to say that when you make a long phrase there may be more than one name to be found in it.

Do you think Haiti has a rainforest²? link

A very humbling one indeed tsuwm! I managed to get a "good try toughie" to a knucklehead in that same one smile JK..great one!

Branshea: I know smile
VITUS (JONAS) BERING!

Onnicle: The judges found his sonata far and away the better of the two pieces. Her essay was good, but she had to settle for second place in the talent competition.

Afar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afar_language
Oops. We've skipped TGR's onnicle from several pages ago. I think YOYO MA is on the Silk Road.

As for mine with the Arab clue, "Afar," though probably a lovely retirement destination, is not what I had in mind. Here's the clue again with (hopefully) helpful emphasis:

An Arab has the right to left-handedness, same as any other person
So close, Bran! The tough girl got it, though. :0)
Oops. We've skipped TGR's onnicle from several pages ago. I think YOYO MA is on the Silk Road.

As for mine with the Arab clue, "Afar," though probably a lovely retirement destination, is not what I had in mind. Here's the clue again with (hopefully) helpful emphasis:

An Arab has the right to left-handedness, same as any other person

Bingo (for Yo-Yo MA) beck123!
Afar is also an Arabic language that goes from right to left (at least that's how I read it!)

Boy! tsuwm is contagious when it comes to cryptic clues smile So we r indeed playing for an Arab..right?

Are languages considered proper nouns or celebrities? To me, that's pushing the category a bit too far, but I would certainly defer to Onamographys ruling... :0?
U got me twosleepy smile
U got me twosleepy smile

just as a matter of record, it was in an attempt to avoid text babble that I ended up with "Do you think Haiti has a rainforest²?" as my onnicle.

from the initial post: "personality's name in it."

and, why onnicle?! I keep having to look it up 'cuz it doesn't seem obvious!!

Ooo, ooo! I got it!!! A bit of a toughie, beck! :0)
>A bit of a toughie, beck!

I guess. "Your search - tafara eressay - did not match any documents."
>A bit of a toughie, beck!

I guess. "Your search - tafara eressay - did not match any documents."

Sorry! I thought people would read beck's hints, and thus, read the answer from left to right...
Remind me never to argue with u ever again twosleepy! That was brilliant (Yasser Arafat)! Beck123..need I say more?
Did we argue? I don't remember that we did... :0?
Are languages considered proper nouns or celebrities? To me, that's pushing the category a bit too far, but I would certainly defer to Onamographys ruling... :0?

As long as you specify in your clue what readers have to look for, it's all legit.
U got me twosleepy smile

and, why onnicle?! I keep having to look it up 'cuz it doesn't seem obvious!!

Onnicle is a coined word - short for 'Onamographic Article'. It could be a single sentence (the stuff that do here on this thread) or a complete paragraph (the website has several samples).

The FAQ on the website has a little more information about this.
>Onnicle is a coined word - short for 'Onamographic Article'.

I don' thin' tha's gonna he'p me! smile
-joe (two ens?) friday
While twosleepy comes with his own..Here's one from me

Continuing with the theme..

Onnicle: Mumtaz Mahal's ghost eventually said it's good bye to a griefstricken Shah Jahan, the Mughal emperor. The Taj observatory beautifully illustrates their love story.

Onniclue: Pple at Super.com
Onnicle: Mumtaz Mahal's ghost eventually said it's good bye to a griefstricken Shah Jahan, the Mughal emperor. The Taj observatory beautifully illustrates their love story.

I'm not familiar with Super.com, but I think that's correct!

I'm also not a "him"... :0D

Onnicle: Although a landscaper many worry about planting roses that can prick, many gardeners feel a garden isn't legitimate without at least one or two bushes.

Onniclue: Frank Bryce
I don' thin' tha's gonna he'p me! smile
-joe (two ens?) friday

I'm with tsuwm. I know what a nomograph is, and even a nonogram, but I don't see there's any relation to "onamograph." And the diploid "n" befuddles. And shouldn't it be -gram, not -graph in the first place? There are no charts or pictures.

Sometimes I feel as though we are being used as free beta testers for a (ahem) profit-making enterprise. Not that the game itself isn't fun! I've been doing this kind of puzzle since my childhood, many months ago. Nevertheless, the onniclization of the game reminds me of the folks who took the childrens' card game "crazy eights" and made a bundle marketing it as "Uno."
I love UNO.... we play every week.... prettier than Crazy 8s... :0)
>crazy eights

eons ago, I and some colleagues at work came up with a lunchtime card game we (without imagination) called Minnesota Eights. nearly every card in the (double) deck had a special significance, such as reversing direction of play, putting the next player in jeopardy (forcing a counter-play or losing turn), putting *everyone in irremediable jeopardy (everyone takes two cards and skips their turn!), etc.

imagine our chagrin when UNO came on the market!
Has anyone figured out 2sleepy's riddle, yet? I've Harry-Pottered myself blue in the face, and it still has me stumped.

Yo, 2. Maybe another clue should be forthcoming.

(Oops. Not necessary - see my next.)
Aha! Now that I've awakened fully, please belay my last, twosleepy:

ALAN RICKMAN - Good one!

Onnicle: Sam almost made my young daughter a virtual instigator. “Sam’s just unfettering Nicole,” I often rationalized.

Clue: Initially, this entertainer may have been one I'd befriend, but in fact he was a rat from way back.

I'm not familiar with Super.com, but I think that's correct!

I'm also not a "him"... :0D

Onnicle: Although a landscaper many worry about planting roses that can prick, many gardeners feel a garden isn't legitimate without at least one or two bushes.

Onniclue: Frank Bryce

Pple at Super.com

Think Anagrams! Apple Computers smile

Onnicle: Sam almost made my young daughter a virtual instigator. “Sam’s just unfettering Nicole,” I often rationalized.

Clue: Initially, this entertainer may have been one I'd befriend, but in fact he was a rat from way back.

Well, I don't know if that's what you intended, but I didn't think we were *allowed* to separate each name from its components. I've been keeping each name together, which is more difficult to create. You could pick out nearly any name with separated letters in a long enough sentence! Onamagraphy? What say you?
You're on the right track, twosleepy, but you're making it too complicated.

Okay, so it's an Anacronnomicle! Hah! You did it, I named it... :0)
Sometimes I feel as though we are being used as free beta testers for a (ahem) profit-making enterprise. Not that the game itself isn't fun! I've been doing this kind of puzzle since my childhood, many months ago. Nevertheless, the onniclization of the game reminds me of the folks who took the childrens' card game "crazy eights" and made a bundle marketing it as "Uno."

Valid concern, Beck. Let me address that. (Warning: Relatively long post)

Technically, I'd guess beta testing for a product happens before being launched, not after. Onamography has already gone through the beta testing phase and saw the light of day only after a painfully long (very long) gestation period.

It's already got an estimated 30 million views in the print version of a mainstream newspaper. So it's a little late for beta testing.

As far as profit making is concerned, that isn't the primary motive. Of course, if someone hands over a million bucks for it, I'm not sure how many would turn it down. That's a highly unlikely situation though. Most puzzle designers struggle to get any returns for their efforts. Success stories (like Uno) are extremely rare in the game/puzzle world. For an overwhelming majority, puzzle-making ends up being a passion they pursue while holding on to their day jobs.

So what's the motivation here? For one, trying to push an unconventional concept is far more difficult than it might seem. Most commercial publishers are reluctant to experiment with anything that's not already been established (crosswords, sudoku et al). So this is an experiment (so if you insist on an analogy, we are all guinea pigs more than beta testers) to see how people on the other side of the table perceive and react to a concept such as this.

Coming to the "profit-making enterprise" part, there's no corporate body with devious intentions pushing this. Just the inventor and a bunch of volunteers who believe in the game. A small team that wants to see the idea being embraced by many more.

Your comment ('Not that the game itself isn't fun!') is one of the numerous testimonials that go to show that the concept has potential. There were no false promises or incentives in the first post. And yet this thread has already got over a 100 posts and 2700 views in under 10 days. I find that very encouraging.

Thanks to all you folks who've been having a blast with this concept. I hope the party continues.
[quote=beck123]
...but I didn't think we were *allowed* to separate each name from its components. I've been keeping each name together, which is more difficult to create. You could pick out nearly any name with separated letters in a long enough sentence! Onamagraphy? What say you?

This (along with Beck's 'Anacronnomicle' as you've christened it) is a valid variation. Tricky vs Simple.

But you are right, depending on how it's been constructed, the level of difficulty could change dramatically. On this thread, so far we've been sticking to the Simple ones. PurpleHaze gave us a Tricky onnicle earlier (#190440) and I had requested her to stay with Simple onnicles (as no one had solved it for a whole day). She never came back.

But if people are willing to move to the next level, so be it.

This was a much easier query to answer than the previous one ;-)
Okay, so it's an Anacronnomicle! Hah! You did it, I named it... :0)

And you got it, 2zzz, so you owe us one. (I hope you caught this hint in the clue: "...one I'd..." It's the only thing I've written here so far that made me giggle out loud like an idiot in front of my computer.)

Shout out to Onamo: Making a profit is not a nefarious motive - in fact, good luck! I was just thinking out loud.
For a forum like this, having daily input, I think we need to point out in the clue if the search needs to be other than the simple kind.

A puzzle in the newspaper can be noodled over for days or weeks (or years, as I do with crosswords), but that doesn't work in this kind of venue.
Onnicle: As unlovely as the melodic lark is lovely, although this cad was set for a life difficult but rewarding, able to respond in a positive, affirming way he was not.

Onniclue: Inspired by Beck, a bit windy though he may be... ;0)

PS to Beck: No, I didn't get that, but it is very funny!

PPS to Onamography: Do I get credit for my word if you use it? I hope so, cause I'd hate to see it somewhere and be unmentioned... :0)
Shout out to Onamo: Making a profit is not a nefarious motive - in fact, good luck! I was just thinking out loud.

I hear you, buddy. In a forum that already has over 190,000 posts, my first post could've easily sunk to the bottom of the pile. You are one of the key players keeping it afloat. (Am I getting all poetic here?). And if a star player has a concern, it's gotta be addressed :-)

Btw, your onnicles are going places. Check the next response.
PPS to Onamography: Do I get credit for my word if you use it? I hope so, cause I'd hate to see it somewhere and be unmentioned... :0)

Welcome to the world of instant and painless recognition --> Tada!

If you want your real name out there (or a better link), let me know. Beck's giving you company there as well.
As unlovely as the melodiC LARK is lovely, although this cad was set for
a life difficult but rewardinG, ABLE to respond in a positive, affirming way he was not.

Good one, 2zzz.

Play on, folks - I'm away from my desk right and will post my offering later in the afternoon.

Ah, but did you get my clue? wink
Not really - even after a second and third look. I am, after all, a bit windy. I've never been called "terse."
Barnicle: The old man had us preparing the ship from stern to jib: a hand could not be seen at rest. He set the older sea-rats at hauling lines in; I at packing the hold with gear.

Barniclue: This skipper’s backward view of vengeance brought the trip to ill. Young as I was, I wish Ma elected a different ship for my first sea voyage
Frankly my dear!

Or was it the first part?
My mind is blank on that: I'll wait to hear from 2zzz.

I am, however, glad to see that I am an "enthusiast" now. I was uncomfortable being called a member.
Here are the categories

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1200 veteran
1600 Pooh-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel
Barnicle: The old man had us preparing the ship from stern to jib: a hand could not be seen at rest. He set the older sea-rats at hauling lines in; I at packing the hold with gear.

Barniclue: This skipper’s backward view of vengeance brought the trip to ill. Young as I was, I wish Ma elected a different ship for my first sea voyage

R we playing homophones here Beck?

W.H.G King(ston)stern - My First Voyage To Southern Seas?

Clueless on Barnicle/Barniclue though!
Not it! The "Barnicle" thing reflects the nautical theme of the riddle (and its answer.) It sounds nautical, at least - I spelled it to match the silly "onnicle" thing.

I tried to imitate the writing of the day in my riddle, and there are several clues in the clue - a few overt, one sneakily hidden.

OK..yet another try!

.raeg htiw dloh eht gnikcap ta I ;ni senil gniluah ta star-aes redlo eht tes eH .tser ta nees eb ton dluoc dnah a :bij ot nrets morf pihs eht gniraperp su dah nam dlo ehT

Is it Captain Neil of "Windjammer Adventures Cruises"?

Captain Ahab from Moby-Dick. There's Ishmael as well.

Brilliant work, Beck. But too damn difficult.

Moving into the realm of Steganography (my newly discovered word).
OK, here's an easy one:

Onnicle: In the society of minor criminals there is now much ado, because by using new security photograph technology, shoplifters and pickpockets can be identified very easily.

Clue: Not a person, but a thing you might find on a computer. Tricky, since a word is split (though it is often split – in a way - in the actual name of the thing.)
adobe photo shop

Onnicle: Having forgotten to set the brake, Lyle wistfully watched his car roll down the hill to crumple against an oak tree.

Onniclue: Off with her head!
Chuckie Dodgson! ...er, LEWIS CARROLL!

Onnicle: The inquisitors were careful to warn erotic artists in eastern Spain that their work was forbidden. The artists ignored the threat, and the River Ebro soon echoed their pitiful screams.

Clue: A well-known company name, partly abbreviated (as one often sees it.)
Warner Bros

Onnicle: Brad was proud to land the role of angel in a Christmas pageant; there wasn’t much else for excitement in Joliet.

Do you need a clue for this one???
Angelina Jolie

Onnicle: Mary Jo enjoyed Rene Daumal's "Mont Analogue" more than "A Night of Serious Drinking."

Onniclue: A former SUPER guy.
JOE MONTANA!

Here's a toughie (I think.)

Onnicle: Generally, river environments boast live egrets. Informed people should never, ever victimize egrets, they say.

Clue(s): Despite support from Hollywood big-wigs, backward people often have trouble with this idea, initially. They don’t feel that somebody else’s environmental dream works in their part of the world.
It's a toughie! I need another clue...
Some clues revealed:

"Despite support from Hollywood big-wigs, backward people often have trouble with this idea, initially. They don’t feel that somebody else’s environmental dream works in their part of the world."

There's another one in there, but you'll see it once you solve the riddle.
Generally, river environments boast live egrets. Informed people should never, ever victimize egrets, they say.

Clue(s): Despite support from Hollywood big-wigs, backward people often have trouble with this idea, initially. They don’t feel that somebody else’s environmental dream works in their part of the world.

STEVEN SPIELBERG/DREAMWORKS

Onnicle: When Sam arrived from Arkansas he saw the muscle men she hired to install light wainscoting in the den.

Onniclue: Aw shucks, Tom don't need no clue!
When Sam arrived from Arkansas he saw the muscle men she hired to install light wainscoting in the den.

(play on..)
Onnicle: Whether it be lab work, teaching or writing for professional journals, Bart O’Keefe was an avid scientist and disciplined professor.

Onniclue: The subject of conversation at CIM
Béla Bartók! Terrific that you got the diacritical mark in there, too! Excellent!

Onnicle: He was told, “Don’t you dare yell, Eric. You’ll wake the dog!”

Clue: Not by the end of this movie, he wouldn’t.
>Terrific that you got the diacritical mark in there, too..

huh. how about the one on the é then?!
-joe (mr. perfect) friday
I think that getting the one was a pretty good deal.

Maybe a few points off for leaving out his middle names, Viktor and János, but overall a terrific job.
thanks!

Old Yeller

Onnicle: Grandpa blows his harmonicas - also his kazoos and penny whistle - throughout the house, driving Grandma f-ing crazy.

Onniclue: from Catalonia to the world
I hope it isn't this.

Ick.
Of course, the instrument in question is the cello:

PABLO CASALS!

Onnicle: She’s an actress - the first to play Bo Peep, as far as I know. She was born in Nashville, but she - in Nashville garb - would be unrecognizable to her current fans.

(Hidden) Clues: She almost had a part in a Tolstoy story, too, but that went bust. (Er, so we used to say. I’m sure no women today would have designs on a man that used that expression.)

(The clues are hidden, because the Onnicle itself is straightforward and factual.)
Annie Potts who was on Designing Women

Onnicle: A large orgeat syrup maker had a beach vacation planned to Miami, where he wanted to jam espressos and mai-tais and kayak before the mangrove rotted.

Onniclue: The Keystone four (casually) plus two....first names only!

And finally...I'm no longer a stranger!!

...and "TolsTOY STORY" ... and Ghost "BUST. ER, S..."
A larGE ORGEat syrup maker had A BEach vacation planned TO Miami, where he wanted to JAM ESpressos and mai-tais and kayak before the manGROVE RotTED.

Six presidents, four of whose likenesses are on Mount Rushmore!

Onnicle: His rock band exploited its own media hype terrifically. A reliably wild stage performance was his own – not someone else’s, as some critics say, but own - send-off into rock legend.

Clue: Who plays guitar like a Tommy Gun?
Onnicle: His rock band exploited its own media hype terrifically. A reliably wild stage performance was his own – not someone else’s, as some critics say, but own - send-off into rock legend.

Clue: Who plays guitar like a Tommy Gun?

One of my fave groups!

Onnicle: The maestro wished to create a good impression on these people, some of the lowest in class, but highest in appreciation.

Onniclue: Not sure this person saved any lives, but the name-sake sure did!
Say - I had the answer to the Annie Potts one, but couldn't find her name in the onnicle and it threw me. Splain it to me, Lucy?
MAE WEST

Onnicle: His songs were not stirring or languid, as those of Johnny Cash were, but that was not his style. Some would say he was on a par with Elvis, starring in movies made just for him and his cohorts.

Onniclue: Always a good hair day.
Annie Potts? Was that one of mine?
No, it was Beck's
She’s an actress - the firST TO Play Bo Peep, as far as I know. She was born in Nashville, but shE - IN NAshville garb - would be unrecognizable to her current fans

Oops, I forgot to say "backward" in my clue
Very clever!!!!
*blush*
His songs were not stirring or languid, as those of Johnny Cash were, but that was not his style. Some would say he was on a par with Elvis, starring in movies made just for him and his cohorts.

(One of the luckiest men that ever drew a breath.)

Onnicle: Though not Polish, he enjoyed his wife’s pirogi, zrazi, makowiec, and other traditional foods. It annoyed his wife to no end that he would tag newly-introduced Polish dishes - which he found unpronounceable - with Greek nicknames, since that was his heritage.

Clue: An intelligent and well-educated Marylander who swam the dangerous political ocean with a millstone (well, almost) around his neck.
Though not Polish, he enjoyed his wife’s pirogi, zrazi, makowiec, and other traditional foods. It annoyed his wife to no end that he would tag newly-introduced Polish dishes - which he found unpronounceable - with Greek nicknames, since that was his heritage.

Onnicle: Ted Edgar, son of Bing, rid himself of Eric, the not-so-limber G-man, by hiding under a car. Had Avis not just rented the sedan it's a sure bet Tom would have gotten away from that ogre Eric.

Oniclue: And the nominees are....(think 1940's...there are three in there)
Originally Posted By: ModScop
Ted EdGAR, SON of BING, RID himself of Eric, the not-so-limBER G-MAN, by hiding under a car. HaD AVIS not just rented the sedan it's a sure BET Tom would have gotten away from that oGRE ERic.

(Isn't it "Bette" Davis?)

Onnicle: Poor Jimmy Hauler. He put his last dollar on “Aldo’s Pizza” in the fourth race at Aqueduct, but instead of using Off-Track Betting, he placed his bet in one of those sleazy storefronts in Brooklyn, the kind where a gangster in an over-priced suit guards the door.

Clue: This fellow gambled in '68 and ’76 and lost, but he managed a couple of wins later.
@2zzz: Coffebean did: MAE WEST
Ronald Reagan!

Onnicle: Summer school? June and July’s session will utterly sabotage my social life! But who am I to flagrantly disregard the dictates of my father? I acquiesce.

Onniclue: 18 forever
Um...yea....that's why his name was TED in the beginning....oops!! Not paying enough attention while typing. smile
Boy, I saw CB's onnicle at work today, and I was hoping somebody would solve it before I got home. I'm stumped. I thought maybe Alice Cooper, but I can't find it there.
A reconstruction of my clue: 18th forever
ULYSSES S. GRANT!

That was a great one, CB!

Onnicle: The raja never glanced outside his carriage on his tour from the hills of Rochester to the reeds along the St. Johns River’s edge in Jacksonville. As for the newspapers, they reported gleefully on his progress, though they never actually spoke with him.

Clue: A fictional heroine, with four of her fellow characters embedded as clues
Onnicle: The raja never glanced outside his carriage on his tour from the hills of Rochester to the reeds along the St. Johns River’s edge in Jacksonville. As for the newspapers, they reported gleefully on his progress, though they never actually spoke with him.

Clue: A fictional heroine, with four of her fellow characters embedded as clues

Whew! I'm not a JANE EYRE expert, by any means, but you've got my hometown in there! :0)
I craftily put my own town in there, as well!

Now you owe us one.
Onnicle: I admit my taste runs to Fantasy, from the classics involving a centaur or a unicorn, maybe featuring the famous Bilbo, realistic though he may not be, to the gritty new science fiction on t.v., "Caprica" being the finest example.

Onniclue: Although as referenced they are septentrional, they have a counterpart, but perhaps not quite so lovely.
I admit my taste runs to Fantasy, from the classics involving a centaur or a unicorn, maybe featuring the famous Bilbo, realistic though he may not be, to the gritty new science fiction on t.v., "Caprica" being the finest example.

Aurora Borealis? Is that it? But if so, it would take me days to give a new one, twosleepy.
Good job!

Onnicle: How could a small band of right-wing extremists carry a crusade so far as to deprive an entire nation of their right to choose? More emphatic than charismatic, this movement’s outspoken leader was a smashing success, bar none.

Clue: The onnicle itself is straightforward and factual.

[I hope you all don't mind that I stepped in with a new one.]
CARRY[sic] NATION!

Onnicle: Just over here, near Sylvia’s Truckstop, everyone in Nashville began eating “Cumberland Knockwurst.” This homey eatery gave really amazing portions! Everyone seemed overly fed with Ricky at the helm.

Clue: Initially, this man's writing was not well received. He later produced some very highly-regarded literature, and the title of his masterpiece is also in the onnicle.
(That was "sic," not "hic")
I'll drink to that!

Yes, actually it was "Carry A. Nation". Both Carrie and Carry are accepted spellings, according to Wikipedia.

It was probably very easy to solve, but I had fun putting it together!
JOHN STEINBECK!
What about the book title?
Posted By: Coffeebean whoops! - 04/27/10 11:37 PM
Sorry! Good one, Beck!

The Grapes of Wrath!

Onnicle: “Buddy, you are one helluva clavichord player! I have looked for a teacher for years! Do you give lessons?”

Onniclue: Play right, even though life may not always treat you right. Check your opinions at the door and you won’t offend people in power. Meddle with the government, but you might lose your freedom.
'The Grapes of wrath' Bings to mind Merle Haggards 'Okie from Muskogee'
VACLAV HAVEL!

(I czeched my answer)

Onnicle: Little did I know that the burly Russian (tho’ "nyet" - and the infamous Russian curse that I can’t mention here - were the only words I ever heard him speak) would, at the end of the match, whimper. I also was surprised that he grudgingly shook my hand.

Clue: A vocal group most popular in the early-to-mid ‘60s. Still out there, and still funkified. This one will have you goin’ out of your head.
[quote=beck123]
Onnicle: Little did I know that the burly Russian (tho’ "nyet" - and the infamous Russian curse that I can’t mention here - were the only words I ever heard him speak) would, at the end of the match, whimper. I also was surprised that he grudgingly shook my hand.

I guess I was too young; not really on my radar...

Onnicle: Although not often "Hungary", he enjoyed eating "Turkey" with mashed potatoes, and, rarely, a hamburg off the grill. Luxuries were a bit scarce...

Onniclue: Geez.
I guess I was too young; not really on my radar...

Onnicle: Although not often "Hungary", he enjoyed eating "Turkey" with mashed potatoes, and, rarely, a hamburg(h) off the grill. Luxuries were a bit scarce...

Gary Burg(h)off who played "Radar" on M*A*S*H

Onnicle: I know I am young, but I want to be the first female jockey to win at Del Mar. Meet me (giddy after my march to victory) at the rural cottage so we may celebrate with Louis and Robin.

Onniclue: Everyone remembers the daughters, but how about the parents?
LOUISA MAY ALCOTT

Onnicle: Well past a reasonable interval, the late prince’s staff was able to show arsenic was to blame. By some fluke, the enemy had slipped under their radar that terrible evening. A doddering, female invader - most capable, I assure you - had effected the deed singlehandedly, while fumbling with her pesky walker and a parasol of faded colors, with which she hid her face.

Clue: A blockbuster movie of the late 20th Century and its four main characters
Onnicle: Well past a reasonable interval, the late prince’s staff was able to show arsenic was to blame. By some fluke, the enemy had slipped under their radar that terrible evening. A doddering, female invader - most capable, I assure you - had effected the deed singlehandedly, while fumbling with her pesky walker and a parasol of faded colors, with which she hid her face.

Clue: A blockbuster movie of the late 20th Century and its four main characters

Whew! I looked for Yoda, but didn't find him. Now that's my generation! :0)
There is also the names of the daughters, and the parents in there cool
Ooooh. I would have to cheat and look those up, so I'll let somebody else have a shot at it. My bad.
Here's what I found:

I know I am young, but I want to be the first female jockey to win at Del Mar. Meet me (giddy after my march to victory) at the rural cottage so we may celebrate with Louis and Robin.

Great job!!
Somebody owes us an onnicle, so here goes...

Onnicle: The chef assured the new waiter, “Sure, members may order anything on the menu à la mode.”

Clue: The actual name of a 1960 John Wayne movie, as well as what most folks think is the name of the movie.
Onnicle: The chef assured the new waiter, “Sure, members may order anything on the menu à la mode.”

Clue: The actual name of a 1960 John Wayne movie, as well as what most folks think is the name of the movie.

As far as I know, the actual title does not include "Remember".

I promise I will post one today!
As promised:

*WARNING* This is very difficult! You will be able to quickly solve the first part, but the second and third parts are truly trivial, and I am prepared to have no one solve those.

Onnicle: Maybe not the entire board, but most may agree, not every name or title is suitable for onniclization. It takes a bit of wizard to create and offer a tricky one that will be lauded, and allows the author to bask in the glory of lexical praise. The best ones provide a bit of (hopefully temporary...) bamboozlement. Though perhaps not woe, these cagey, escapist conundrums do provide mental stimulation and enjoyment.

Onnicle: Book, movie and musical have many differences. Besides the title, hidden are two two-word phrases naming aspects of a major character in the movie and musical that are NOT in the book.

I'll add a hint now: all four words are simple, kindergarten vocabulary words. Good luck! :0)
Maybe not THE entire board, but most may aGREE, Not every name or title is suitable for onniclization. It takes a bit of WIZARD to create and offer a tricky one that will be lauded, and allows the author to baSK IN the glory OF lexical praise. The best ones provide a bit of (hopefully temporary...) bamboOZlement. Though perhaps noT WOe, these cagEY, EScapist conundrums do provide mental stimulation and enjoyment.

THE WIZARD OF OZ.

"green skin" and "two eyes," referring to the WWotW!

Good one! Now, an easy one...

Onnicle: I was lucky enough to win “Stone Pilots” tickets in a radio contest: front row seats for their concert in the park next Sunday! After church, I’ll ride over with Joe and Frankie to see the show.

Clue: With his luck, he and Frankie and Joe would probably be an unbeatable team on the new “Wii” game platform
No takers for this one? It's pretty easy. Here's another Clue: the friends' names are actually Franklin and Joseph.
Winston Churchill! grin

I'll post one in a little bit.
I hope you find this one a challenge. Let me know if it was really easy. laugh

Onnicle: From sabres and kilts to assault rifles and flak jackets, military uniforms have transformed from highly colorful and distinctive to camouflage and practical.

French armies used the epaulette to denote rank among their soldiers, having borrowed the idea from early Roman garb. Most units, especially a post, legion or division of Europe, incorporate shoulder insignia into their full dress uniforms today; however, the Russians, Ukrainians and Tatars usually wear a uniform less ornamental.

Clue: Can you find both this person’s names plus citizenship?
Saul of Tarsus, St. Paul

Although a Turkish Jew by birth, he was a Roman citizen

Good one!

Onnicle: Salesgirl Sarah and her musician pal, Bertram, fell in love in Steinway’s piano showroom on West 57th Street in Manhattan many, many years ago.

Clue: Who knew such a thing could happen? Well, this gentleman from the academic world probably did, since he is credited with having known just about everything, and then some.
Yes, Saul of Tarsus and St Paul the Apostle. Did you find apostle?
Albert Einstein! You gave away too much in your clue, Beck! smile
OK, then. Give this one a try...

Onnicle: Stripped of rank and honor, his friend's current condition left Colonel Ramirez appalled at how far his brother-in-arms had fallen.

Clue: This well-known man was the best rock guitar player that nobody ever listened to.
No takers?

Clue tue: His band, apparently named after several of his parents, never had a hit song in their 30+ years together.
Truth, I got it, but would have to be struck by lightning to come up with a new one so I'm keeping mum. Two clues here, though one's a bit of a stretch.
FRANK ZAPPA!

Sorry, I've been so busy! Will try to post a new one today. You're right, Jackie -- they are much easier to solve than to create.

Convict or savior, thug or hero? In the first half of his life he was a jailbird, escapee; always negative and bitter toward life and the society that had let him down. In later years, he can be described as a valiant advocate, lifesaver, just employer, and nurturer. His story of redemption has been enjoyed all over the world, for many generations.

Can you find the author and the protagonist?
TRICKY, TOUGH, and VERY WELL DONE!!!

ConVICT OR savior, tHUG Or hero?

Jailbird, Escapee; Always Negative
Valiant Advocate, Lifesaver, Just Employer, And Nurturer - Jean Valjean.

Riddlecule: “…there are four unfortunate manifestations of these neuroses.” – DSM-IV

Clue: Thankfully, none involves the kind of gambling that takes place at this yearly event
The Run for the Roses! laugh

I will try to post a new one today.

CB
The Run for the Roses! HEY--that's MY territory, you! wink JFTR, we also have a run for the rosé during the week before.
I departed from Côte-St. Luc yesterday by plane (a horrible little Bombardier Q400) hoping I would make it all the way to Brown County, Wisconsin, without crashing. And speaking of crashing, the fellow who sat next to me was a crashing bore! He griped constantly about the food, "the salad was full of E. Coli, the sandwich was soggy, the peanuts were stale!" Augh! He droned on and on, rambling about the plotless films of George Kuchar, lies George W. Bush told, and everything that was wrong with the Republican party, including such ridiculous statements as: “Sarah Palin used PAC money to buy her own books!” I thought, “Who gives a rip? Get me off this plane!!”

Clue: Sparky’s status update on Facebook?
Clue #2

The author's name is not in the onnicle, but his opus and three of its main characters are.
PEANUTS!

Lucy and Linus (van Pelt), and Brown, Charlie

Very sly.

Onnicle: The neurotic Mr. Watson only felt completely secure if carrying a Lexan© dermal implant, Viagra©, ham biscuits (at least two, no particular brand) and his former girlfriend’s silver bellybutton ring.

Clue: …And if he knew help was a phone call away.
A.G. Ding-a-ling!

Onnicle: Joe told his friend: you can't scuba down a full fathom, assuredly: the guage showing how much air is still contained is on empty.

Clue: shed some light on the subject.
Thomas A. Edison!

When novice fisherman Gerard Le Roux (incongruously tow-headed) almost landed a dolphin with hook and line on a Saturday excursion, the charter-boat captain admonished, “Watch it, Le Roux, that’s a protected species!”

Clue: Austrian by birth, this historical figure made his reputation elsewhere.
ADOLF HITLER

My sons Alfred, Eric and Harry all play ball in the soccer league. Their eccentric coach, Francois, is much opinionated and egotistical, but I like him. He treats the boys well and fairly, and doesn’t seem to mind my occasional butting in.

You see, I am the quintessential “soccer mom,” giving my time and energy to shuttling the boys to their games, attending school functions, and making impromptu trips to the skate park, mini golf and Water World. Their father is an avid fan, but I think I’m number one. In a flat second I can be ready to go -- gear on, keys in hand, eager for the major vicarious rush of fierce competition!

The author and his opus are contained in the onnicle.
FREDERIC FRANCOIS CHOPIN!

Imptomptu number 1 in a-flat major (a matter of opinion, of course.)

Jimmy opened his new lounge every night, nine o’clock. Now, parading an unusually lissome model could conceivably attract rough trade. Nevertheless, each young guy emerging or re-entering got everything he asked. Rhinestone rings (implying sensuality or not) rarely incited new guests - or staff - to a real riot.

Clue: Initially, dancing to their music made lounge-owner Jimmy (who refers to himself as a fat slob) eat less, but he soon recovered from that!
FREDERIC FRANCOIS CHOPIN!

Imptomptu number 1 in a-flat major (a matter of opinion, of course.)

I could have said "the composer and one of his opera..." but I thought that sounded somewhat stuffy. I was in no way implying that Impromptu No.1 in A flat major is Chopin's best work. I happen to like the Nocturnes in C minor, F# minor and B major the best. Hiding one of those in an Onnicle would have been more of a challenge! laugh
You did just fine smile. That was a tough one!
Are we having trouble with fat-arse Jimmy and his lounge of questionable repute? There is a second - and very straightforward - clue hidden in the clue that accompanied the original post.
I got it Yesterday, but I Should Have Know Better than to think I could construct a new one Any Time At All without Help.
Ditto, Beck. You did a great job; I just haven't had time to construct a new one.

CB
Spit it out, guys. Somebody will come up with a new one!
Onnicle: Really, everyone’s quite unenthusiastic. I even miss inventing new puzzles. Are co-solvers extinct?

Clue: At first we wrote and solved, but now we may have to say this about “onnicles.” [sniffle.]
Requiem in pace.

Onnicle: In the corner of the bar, swilling brew, Ol' Fenton, the burglar chief, celebrated a good winter, his best ever, excepting only his very first outing back in 1934.

Clue: Sleuths: verbophile, amanuensis; creator.
Beck: if I am not mistaken, at first regularly encountered questions involving ecclesiastical sentences can, almost tragically, include nasty parsing and crude endings.
Of course, you're right! What the heck was I thinking at quarter to midnight on a Friday? I was a req, just not the write one!
Fortunately, you managed to pick up the pace.
Whew - a tough one, Sackbutiator.

Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, and creator, Rex Stout.

Onnicle: His voice trainer made Steven sing a two-hour-long, bona fide lesson every day in preparation for Christmas services.

Clue: Perhaps this is what he sang
Adeste Fideles. Smooth! You can call me Sack, if you like, or any other subset.

Onnicle: Choosing a spot under an enormous tree three feet from the intersection, banishing depression, rancor, nervousness, and any sensation of cold, Steven sang his carols.

Clue: Perhaps this is where he sang after services.
street corner!

(I give him more credit than that.)

Onnicle: Hurry up, Ricardo! Run, in case anybody now entering Kenner asks to recover in nearby Arabi!

Clue: At first she didn’t seem so bad, but we should have known better.
You still out there, Sack?
Hurricane Katrina

Yeah, here, but reeeeeally busy. Tonight it's dinner with friends; maybe I'll have time for creative thought afterward.
Sofia, the dromedary, was outfitted with a rig a sherpa would be proud of and her owner, Anwar, saw to it that she was well cared for. He sat tall, in new chaps, while they would go slowly through town as the women, like fat hens, clucked and cooed.

Clue: 7 european capitals
Sofia Rome Oslo Athens Warsaw Riga Tallinn

Whew, that part was easy, the posing part wasn't.
Forgive the below. Remember, this is my first try. crazy

Longing for a bit of swashbuckling, wearing tight-fitting jeans and a low cut blouse, while waving about a kitchen utensil verve-ly, was the would-be pirate ____ ____ ______. blush
Long Jean Silver(?)

Grandpa Ulf Torkelson said, “Pass me another bun, ya?” nearly every meal for as long as his marriage lasted.

Clue: This fellow kept a babe on the side, so of course he got the axe.
PAUL BUNYAN

Global Warming or Erotomanic Predation; both animals excrete
a deep oodle of crap.

Clue: Both animals are dumb but dangerous.
Bonus clue: Both animals are one in the same. smile
Ha!

Al Gore; sex poodle.

On a slow night at Palatka’s biggest used car lot, one salesman said to another, “Shoot, nobody’s shoppin’ here tonight. Let’s mosey over yonder - away from these here lights - and have us a gander at all them stars. Eric or Nellie can handle any customers that come in.”

Clue: A well-known popularizer of science. Also, briefly, the institution with which this person was affiliated.
Tough one, Beck, but yuk yuk, I like wise guys.

CARL SAGAN and (just who in the hell would know that he went to) CORNELL.

Stupid Advice: In bad times it is dumber to economize.

Hint: Less phoneyski than Chomsky. smile
Was it outrage or generating laughs from strangers? Whatever drove this comedian, it wasn’t just his car. (Linking “drove” and “car” would have been recognized by UMBERTO ECO as approaching syllepsis, but not quite.)

Clue: None needed!
GEORGE CARLIN

For sneering scuttlebutt in yon Timbuktu, a tip: Toe the line through the use of impromptu lip service.

Clue:
I love you in the moonlight
In the morning we'll fall in love
TINY TIM and his highly-regarded magnum opus, TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS!

As a poor, anemic kid, he dreamed that one day he’d be chauffeured in a Rolls or a Jag (German luxury cars, it seems, were not his style.)

Clue: It all came true, and he’s still rolling today!
Oh, TINY Tim! I was wracking my brain, thinking Tim who? Duh!

Ok, Mr. B.: MICK JAGGER.

"Roberto Clemente threw the ball 'ard", according to the BBC announcer. Mr. C. took some exception to this, bellowing, "I am a Titan" icily. "When I throw a ball, it blazes".

Clue: Not terribly well-known, but what he discovered is. It's included as is. More or less.
ROBERT BALLARD, who discovered the TITANIC!

The obnoxious teacher would poke and jab each student who did not earn sufficient “attaboys” for the day’s lesson.

Clue: I wish they all could be Ca…, er, good students
BEACH BOYS

Getting a bit liberal with your clues, aren't we Beck. Besides, you and Jackie are dating yourselves, and I not sure that that is legal. Come, let us move into the hot new now of the 21st Century...

An innocent lad - young, pretty, not very bright, but betting against the conventions of the day - has now gotten her 15 minutes of fame in the androgynous world of pop music.

Clue: In desperation I've edited out two extraneous phrases and edited in a descriptive clue or two. Please? cry
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny
...you and Jackie are dating yourselves... Come, let us move into the hot new now of the 21st Century...

This from someone whose username is from 1981? Ha! smile
Gosh, Beck--did we go out and I missed it? wink
I don't think that's possible!
In desperation I've edited out two extraneous phrases and edited in a descriptive clue or two. Please? cry

See post #190357 on page 3! We're way ahead of the gagame!

OK, JJ - you asked for it:

Though it may seem a tad short, such a riddle is best!

Clue: H-21. Espy the answer, if you can!
MATA HARI laugh

Ray 'n Randy; Together At Last

(Ray Charles and Randy Owens in Concert at the MET 1984)
Charles Atlas?
Yes!...uh,I mean,uh, no. Your answer is better than mine. I pulled the ole "Ayn Rand" trick but I couldn't fit in the "shrugged". This Bud's for you, Beck.
How's this? Sounds like something she'd say.

Say, "Neither 'they' nor 'we' do we hold dear." And, at last, wish rugged individualism on the world.

This Beck's for you, Bud.
Sure, that's easy for you to say, you're the champ, you are the first coming and the last going, you are Beck. smile
I definitely disagree with some of that.

You may have heard of the singing chipmunk, Alvin. Central to his story of musical success are the dues he (along with Theodore and Simon) paid travelling the back roads of America from engagement to engagement in a decrepit Volkswagen van many years ago. Ghosts of the three, long-deceased rodents are still occasionally seen on starry nights in roadhouse parking lots throughout the country.

This artist had an ear for music, too.
vin.Cent van go.Gh: starry nights! (Excellent on the Gogh.)

Asquith was learning how to meditate. He sat in the lotus position, chanting, "Am". "No no no", his instructor cried. "You have to do it with 'Om', as you well know". Old Azzy, being of the Southron* persuasion, said, "Way-al", vacillating momentarily; "whut I tried is only whut I heard".

This person learned lots of ways how not to do something.

*Hi, Anna!
THOMAS EDISON

The Queen donned her lucky bonnet. Her land's fate would unfold today. Her hat was frumpy; a funky queen-size royal red velvet creation she had bought for a song at a yard sale while visiting Spa in Belgium. She didn't care. Today, no convention, no human, no thing, must stand in the path of total victory. She wore a long evening frock and then for luck she stopped in the street and did a dance called the Castle Rock.

Did I mention that she wore a TIE?

Clue: A prediction
Netherlands, zero. Spain nothing. A tie. (You were close.)

My contribution will have to wait - maybe for a week or more, so somebody else please cut in for this dance.
Em...Thomas Alva Edison. Wish I could come up with a new one, but can't at the moment so I won't try yours...yet!
Eric, a berry farmer, referred to his wisdom concerning dogs as “Fido lore.” Somehow he managed to rear donated pups into adults that were the envy of the county. When Eric ran berries into the farmers’ market, the dogs would sit patiently in his driveway until he returned home.

An Irish rock group and its lead singer (now a solo performer.)
DOLORES O'REARDON AND THE CRANBERRIES

crazy I'm thinking, I'm thinking....
Take your time - I'll be off line until next Thursday. I'll see everybody then.
Good wishes for the duration!
The third time is a charm, the three pots of gold on a slot machine wheel makes a jackpot, but airplane crashes and train wrecks come in threes too. Gestalt psychologists say our penchant for threes is our attempt to order a chaotic Universe, but maybe we just like things in "threes". I can think of ten or so trios of entertainers I like. Two can be found above, can you find them?
AUGH--I got one, but canNOT find the other! I found something I was suspicious about, and even cheated by trying Google, but it didn't help. And, I'm glad you got Beck's latest; I wouldn't have: I've never heard of DOLORES O'REARDON AND THE CRANBERRIES.
Not me, Jackie, I have never heard of Delores Oreardon and the Cranberries either, I simply uncrypted it from Beck's arrangement. Google finds a Delores O'riordan and some Cranberries so maybe Beck just disremembered her name. Maybe he was ashamed and that is why he left town. smile

Now here's a hint to decode my cryptonym:

The two groups of threes entertain at opposite ends of the entertainment spectrum. One represents the epitome of musical control and order. The other represents the ultimate in disorder and mayhem of man-so-un-kind. laugh
I certainly disremembered it - my badness. And I can't even figure out one of your darned trios, but my mind is elsewhere.
Ah, Beck, if your mind is elsewhere it has reasons for being there so follow it.

THE THREE TENORS and THE THREE STOOGES

The third time is a charm, the three pots of gold on a slot machine wheel makes a jackpot, but airplane crashes and train wrecks come in threes too. Gestalt psychologists say our penchant for threes is our attempt to order a chaotic Universe, but maybe we just like things in "threes". I can think of ten or so trios of entertainers I like. Two can be found above, can you find them
That was a GREAT one!
Thanks Beck. Please remember it when I write my next inartful one. smile
With or without the Swede; Theyer, Dahlgren, and Smith make a good defensive line. If the Swede is put back on defense, it will be good for the team, but I kind of like the idea of the other three having to play without him.

A well-known adventurer and a famous craft that bore him.
Hold it, hold it...time out! I got the three stooges, and even tenors, but. Is "The Three Tenors" a legitimate trio? I saw tenors, but was looking for Irish or even Italian... Please note: I am just asking. Just because *I don't happen to know of any certain group does not mean they don't exist!
Jackie, my dear, it is my great pleasure to jar your memory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khHvMdzsW2c

Now, wasn't that a joy and a hoot? smile
Beautifully done (or should I say "sneakedly done") Mister Beck. But you stepped into a trap that was set back in 1962. That was the year that I first saw KON TIKI the movie and obviously I then knew the name of the craft that THOR HEYERDHL sailed across the Pacific. He became my hero for life.

Well, not exactly for life. His second voyage across the Atlantic to America was less romantic. Thor bitched and his crew (mostly whiners) bitched and whined their way almost to South America before their reed boat fell apart. But still I liked their spunk (whatever "spunk" means).
Good enough, then. And yes, it was funny. I didn't realize they had sung together enough to be known as The Three Tenors. I am, um, not a fan of opera.
Thanks!
Some kids think I’m too freaking old – a seventy-year-old mountain climber! Hah! Call me irresponsible, but I don’t care. It’s what I want to do and I figure “when it’s my time to die, it’s my time to die” and not before.

Onniclue: She achieved great heights, but not by climbing mountains.
GOLDA MEIR!

A new and trying onnicle may yet offer folks a mystery. Understand: readers don‘t easily register just any message. Everybody sees something that’s expected, wanted - a rendering that lets every eye record encoded messages in crafty knots.

This was a novel, then a movie with a Duke Ellington soundtrack. The title and the male and female lead actors are all in there. [Initially I used “cunning” instead of “crafty,” but I thought that might not be an adjective in good standing with linguists.]
ANATOMY OF A MURDER - JAMES STEWART - LEE REMICK

And for interrupting my night of much-needed sleep you should be hung (not hanged) by you own cunning (and crafty) rope. laugh
Dang, beck, why'd you go odd on the roolz again? Every error I make, trying to sort out what you've done to your material, makes me crazy!

Just a phrase.
GOOD ONE? (I see that in there, but there may be something else.)
Psst--it's an Aussie phrase.
BE GOOD: DON'T TRY TO TAUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE, MATE.

Well, I tried, maybe this will taunt Jackie into submission...Mate. smile

Psst--it's an phrase.

Good on yer/ya mate!
"Good one" isn't a phrase? Well, it is, but it clearly isn't the one we're looking for. Hmm.
"Be good to your alma mater?"
Got it! Cheated, but that's the point.

I searched the Wordsmith Forum for "roolz".

BelMarduk 03/06/06 wrote:

'Roolz!? We don't need no steenkin' roolz.'

Jackie's "phrase" is just a continuation of a Awad family tradition. smile
Good gracious--what I intended as a sneakified compliment turned into an absolute tizzy! olly got it -- I reckon he has a bit of an inside edge!

Dang, beck, why'd you go odd on the roolz again? Every error I make, trying to sort out what you've done to your material, makes me crazy!
I think Jackie has given us the toughest one in a long time. You go, girl. That was great!

If you really want to bug some old man, tell him you dated a Playboy bunny when you were young: “Oh, yeah. In the motel. Me romping between the sheets with Miss February. She wasn’t much at onnicles – the slightest mental challenge befuddled her – but, hey, I didn’t care.” Believe me, lots of old-timers will get nervous and blanch like parchment when you tell them a story like this.

This character starred in short, popular productions. His nemesis and the behind-the-scenes star of these shows are in there, too.
[glow] blush
Should I dump another hint?
Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and Mel Blanc!

My Uncle Jasper used to fuss at me a lot when we'd go visit. If I started to reach for the last biscuit, he'd say, "You'll draw back a nub!" Then he'd follow it up with, "Here's the vinegar; giggle some more while you're drinking it, hey?" Or: "You've got too big a wad of chewing gum in your mouth--spit half of it out."

Too easy!
They're all easy when you know the answer! How about a clue?
Okay--look around.
Anu Garg, AWAD
Good ones, Jackie!

I'll see if I can come up with a new one.
Yeesss, well done Jackie and Coffeebean. It was there plain as day.
Posted By: Avy Re: Onamography - Strictly for the creative ones - 08/04/10 01:33 AM
My name (anuradha) can also be shortened to Anu. My surname is samant. While creating usernames, I always avoid combining the first three letters of my name and first letter of my surname.
Avy--good idea! laugh Yes, Coffeebean (great to see you, btw!), please do.
plain as day Aren't these things amazing? You can look and look and look, and still not see what's right there!

JFTR, my next clue would have been to follow "Okay--look around" with "...at where we are".
Posted By: Avy Re: Onamography - Strictly for the creative ones - 08/04/10 05:12 AM

[Slap on the forehead]
"Oh ho ho, vhaat aay goat I yam!"
ETA: I think this line is sheer poetry. My maths teacher used to say it when he made a mistake.
Hmm. Check the very first entry in this onnicle thread.

(and I STILL didn't get it...)
Okay, I am working on one! Hope to post very soon.

CB
It’s not known whether Mozart or Scarlatti would have composed an opera based on Goethe’s Faust, but Gounod did (although he is best known for his Ave Maria). I like the opera Seigfried (Richard Wagner’s best work in my opinion), part of the Ring cycle and an exhilarating tale of dragons and damsels. Lovers of more modern works will give a nod to Bernstein’s comedic opera Candide (based on Voltaire’s magnum opus). And fans of the Czech composer Antonin Dvorak might enjoy his little-known opera Rusalka; however, you’d probably only catch performances in Prague. I much prefer Dvorak’s Slavonic Dances and chamber works, but I digress. How about a modern Faust movie starring Russell Crowe? Berlioz and Schumann undertook Faust adaptations – why not me?

Onniclue: Find hidden within this Onnicle the full name of a famous opera composer.
A famous opera composer?
Yes, one obviously not listed in the onnicle. Think of it as an invitation to the dance.
I'll try not to step on anybody's toes.
Was this too romantic a notion of mine?
Not at all - it's just a hard one for us troglodytes who prefer beaux arts to Mozart!
Posted By: Avy Re: Onamography - Strictly for the creative ones - 08/07/10 01:24 AM
It set me off on a wikipedia journey of Candide, Faust and Liebnizian optimism. I met with many troubles along the way.
ETA: I would love to see an opera some day.
Okay. My last two posts contained clues to the composer: "invitation to the dance" and "romantic".
Avy, I have seen a couple opera performances in person. It's not that great unless you really know what's going on. Kind of like going to see a Shakespeare play if English were not your native language...and they were singing everything. The only time I ever enjoyed an opera was on TV with subtitles in English. smile
CARL-MARIA ERNST VON WEBER

Originally Posted By: Coffeebean
It’s not known whether Mozart or Scarlatti would have composed an opera based on Goethe’s Faust, but Gounod did (although he is best known for his Ave Maria). I like the opera Seigfried (Richard Wagner’s best work in my opinion), part of the Ring cycle and an exhilarating tale of dragons and damsels. Lovers of more modern works will give a nod to Bernstein’s comedic opera Candide (based on Voltaire’s magnum opus). And fans of the Czech composer Antonin Dvorak might enjoy his little-known opera Rusalka; however, you’d probably only catch performances in Prague. I much prefer Dvorak’s Slavonic Dances and chamber works, but I digress. How about a modern Faust movie starring Russell Crowe? Berlioz and Schumann undertook Faust adaptations – why not me?

Onniclue: Find hidden within this Onnicle the full name of a famous opera composer.

Ok, Onnicles, name this poet who I've obscured in what you might call an arted garble of words to confound the lazy.
This poet was a genius. And although an Adlerian psychologist might say that he overcompensated for his deep-seeded inferiorities by becoming a genius, I say "Damn Adler". Genius is genius and Adler might best go out and overcompensate for his own damn inferiorities first.

Besides, the phrase "Damn Adler" is an anagram for a famous poem written by our poet...name it too. smile
I got it, but I cheated again so I won't post the answers. Glad you're back, jj. smile
EDGAR ALLAN POE - "Dream-land"

@Jackie: How does one cheat at this game????
OK, onnicliers, answer this: Am I the king of ancient Kush? Am I a fearful Stygian and the pharaoh’s nemesis? Or am I simply a wooly-eyed dreamer who uses this bully pulpit to escape to a fantasy world?

The man, the group, the song.
Hi Beck! Good to be back. The answers to your questions are "no" "no" and "yes".

And incidently, the singer is Sam The Sham, the group is The Pharaohs, and the song is Wooly-Bully.

But you should be jailed. "Wooly Bully" will be singing in my head all day until I replace it with something more intellectual...like, you know, Little Red Riding Hood - OooWhooo! smile

you should be jailed

LOL!
Jenny: good job on solving the Weber onnicle.

His name is Carl Maria Friedrich Ernst von Weber, so you see where I hid Friedrich...and gave you all a little refresher in Music History too. laugh
Ah Coffeebean, now I see, you hid it between the "Sig" and the "ard". Good show daddy-o. smile
That Weber one was killer. Kudos to creator and solver!
Today's Thought of the Day:

Poetry An onnicle is the art of saying what you mean but disguising it. -Diane Wakoski, poet (b. 1937)

from Wordsmith.org smile
Jackie: How does one cheat at this game???? Not the game--that particular post. Or clue, rather: I ran Damn Adler through Anu's I, Rearrangement Servant, got Dreamland, then Googled to see if there was a poem by that name; got lucky the first shot. (That is, that the poem had a one-word title; there were a million quite a few possibilities to check for 2 or more word titles.)
Poetry An onnicle Politics is the art of saying what you mean but disguising it.
@ Jackie. That's not cheating! That's being resourceful! Half the fun of this for me is learning new things that I have to look up both to create and to solve these darned barnicles.
I agree with Beck. Half the fun is learning something new! Besides, how could it be cheating if we ain't got no steenkin' roolz?
I agree with Coffee and I agree with Beck but with a proviso, viz...
If half the fun is learning something new,then the other half of the fun is also learning something new, because it is semantically impossible to learn something that you already know. smile

And that's a steenkin' rool we do got. smile
Good one, JJ! A+ for you in wordsmithmanshipitude! Now, you owe us a puzzicle.
Now there's a word and a half.
@JJ: Soooo, is there no verb "to relearn?"

@Jackie: I truncated it to save space.
@Beck: Every verbal mistake I make is made for effect. whistle
You're lucky. Mine are out of ignorance or stupidity.
Well, if you/I/we must confess, Mister Beck; every time I lie I whistle. (see my last post) smile
Amazing. Every time I sit, I hum.
Somebody owes us an onnicle.
Somebody owes us an onnicle.

Ok Beck. Let me go open another box of cheap wine and you'll have your onnicle...tonight.
Onnicle: Who shot Bill? *

Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and shoot onetwothreefourfivesixseven pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus

he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

* Moved a word to make answer easier. Maybe ck the trans tx too.
"ck the trans tx?" WTF,O?
What are we looking for in this? The poem itself is too famous (well, in it's original form) for it to be the author. So...?
What are we looking for in this? The poem itself is too famous (well, in it's original form) for it to be the author. So...?

Yes, for me that was the challange and the fun; hiding a familiar name in a structured poem. First I hid the name between the poem's run-on numbers (I added a sixandseven to make it more complex.) My gamble worked. Twelve hours passed and no one saw the familiar name nestled between the six and seven. What good luck! So I moved it.

My asterisk addition was to be a hint given in text (tx) messaging form. Give up? cool
Give up? Give up???? Well, not yet, but maybe soon.
Did you replace "break" with "shoot" intentionally, too? Or does it just sound better? smile
I see "Tori Ives" in there, but don't think the publicist for the Crescenta Valley High School Symphony Orchestra (La Crescenta, CA) is famous enough to deserve an onnicle.

Also, could we please agree upon a less silly name for these puzzles?
No, Mister Beck, I just disremembered "break
as "shoot".

Onnicle: Who shot Bill? *[see trans text below]
Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and shoot onetwothreefourfivesixbeckseven pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death
* Moved a word to make answer easier. May;be ck the trans tx too.
smile
Jenny! That was absolutely brilliant!

I found "EE" in blueeyed boy, but that was the only reference to the author I could find.
Aw shucks, Coffee, 'tweren't nothin'.
But it sure was fun to trump Beck for the first time. laugh
I got my own onnicle!!! HOLY S***!!! Where can I possibly go from here?

Very clever, JJs, very clever.

What means, "Who shot Bill?" I don't get that part.
Humor: Who shot Bill? Beck shot Bill! smile

I couldn't very well say, "Find a famous onnicler in this poem", could I?

After all, there are only onetwothreefourfivesixbeckseven, or so, of us. smile
Beck shot Bill
Consider this poor fellow. His entire country’s in bad shape ever since those darned Mamluks took over. Nonetheless, he continues to sail (or sometimes magically travel) the pathways of classic fictional heroes to this day.
SINBAD THE SAILOR: MAGICICAL TRAVELS?

Artfully presented, I might add.
I didn't get here in time to solve it. Great job, Beck!

I have a new puzzicle - may I post it???
Ask JJ; it's ok by me.
From the dawn of time to the present day, from Afghanistan’s mountains to shores of Normandy, this world has seen her fair share of conflict. You may ask: “What is war?” Holocaust survivors can answer: “Men possessed by Evil!”

Late Lennon’s soulful song overpraising Utopian paradise: IMAGINE, even that masterpiece couldn’t stop operatives from carrying on their martial agendas. How ironic that the life of a pacifist should have been taken violently! What will it take to bring peace to our world?

Clue: Find the artist, his genre, and one of his works herein.
Posted By: Coffeebean Onni-Limerick anyone? - 08/19/10 06:58 PM
I am seriously cross-threading, but Beck was the first to do this. Beck: this one's for you. smile

Out in remote Victorville
A young pilot was testing his skill.
In his glider he flew
Right up into the blue
And discovered a new kind of thrill.
Oh what the heck, I must go home and my computer at home refuses to online, and so Mister Coffee, I must hurry my answer...

ANDY WARHOL POP ART and KEN (of Ken and Barbie)

I really don't think Ken's screen print was that popular but what the heck - time's awasting. frown
You got two out of three, Jenny.

From the dawn of time to the present day, from Afghanistan’s mountains to shores of Normandy, this world has seen her fair share of conflict. You may ask: “What is war?” Holocaust survivors can answer: “Men possessed by Evil!”

Late Lennon’s soulful song overpraising Utopian paradise: IMAGINE, even that masterpiece couldn’t sto p op eratives from carrying on their m art ial agendas. How ironic that the life of a pacifist should have been taken violently! What will it take to bring peace to our world?

But "Ken" is not the right answer. Keep looking.

Mizz CB
I thought perhaps "Pumping Iron." "Iron" is in there, but I don't see the "pumping." (I'm not familiar with any but his most famous works - where's Jackie on this thread?)
Ok, Mz Bean, I got it! smile

"FIST" ( a Cassius Clay print)

Now, do I get a "way to go"?

Now can I go home and fix my computer? smile
Oops, I forgot: Way to go.
Sorry - still no one has seen it.

Here's your clue: Mmmm, mmmm, good!
Can answer: “Men possessed by Evil!” Late Lennon’s soulful
song overpraising Utopian paradise

+ the word "can" later in the text!

Yippee!!!!
I be darned if I can find "soup" Coffebean, but I can find the "can". Is zat it? crazy
Grr....life ain't fair. cry
Oh, it's fair to middlin'
Way to go, you guys!

Now, whose turn is it to create a new puzzle?
I think mine, but I don't know. I only found half the puzzle. (Which was a great one. I feel like a dope for saying I only know his most popular works. Duh.)
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Onni-Limerick anyone? - 08/24/10 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Coffeebean
I am seriously cross-threading, but Beck was the first to do this. Beck: this one's for you. smile

Out in remote Victorville
A young pilot was testing his skill.
In his glider he flew
Right up into the blue
And discovered a new kind of thrill.

No one posted a solution to my onni-limerick...
Posted By: beck123 Re: Onni-Limerick anyone? - 08/25/10 12:22 AM
We were distracted. Is there a clue of some sort that goes with this???
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Onni-Limerick anyone? - 08/25/10 04:14 PM
The clue is in the onnicle itself.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Onni-Limerick anyone? - 08/26/10 02:26 AM
Orville Wright!

Ma and Pa Kettle could not decide where to go on their vacation. They argued back and forth, especially Ma, she being bellicose at the best of times. Pa ultimately put his foot down and, pointing to the map, announced, "Woman, we're going to that thar town with that big bakery: the one with that giant statue of a bun: y'an." Ma said, "Fine, but I better not catch you lookin' at all them babes. You know, the ones in the skimpy little blue aprons with the frills. If'n you do, I'm liable to bring you home in a pine box!"

See y'all in a week: I'm off to Minnesota! (This has a two-part answer.)
Posted By: beck123 Re: Onni-Limerick anyone? - 08/26/10 03:01 AM
PAUL BUNYAN and BABE THE BLUE OX!
But there are three half embeded in this...uh... onnicle.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
Nora (Jones)
Frank (take yer pick - Snotra)
Don (take yer pick - Ho')

Very clever. It took a twisted, anonymous mind to make up that onnicle.
Wrong-o, beck-o, it takes a "twisted, anonymous mind" to finger "Nora" Jones rather than "Pat" Boone. laugh

I tell you, Beck, you are good...too good for the likes of envious types like me and six billion other good people on this good Earth. cry

“Yessir, the South is destined to win,” Stonewall Jackson declared. However, I understand that both the North and South believed that God was on their side. What a prime example of abuse of the Scriptures! And ministers in the church – ill-mannered and uneducated, some of them – stooped to outrageous claims to justify “states’ rights”. What, I ask you, about the “rights” that ought rather to be afforded to the poor negroes?

Clue: find the person and one of his titles
...Yessir...
...to win,” Stonewall...
...the church – ill-mannered...

...who would brook no folly. Such as stories about a silly old Bear and (among other friends) a baby marsupial, for instance.
I tell you, Beck, you are good...too good for the likes of envious types like me and six billion other good people on this good Earth. cry

Wait, I'm trying to increase the pixel size on my avatar to reflect the immense size to which my head is ballooning!!! I would prefer vicious ridicule to praise, because in the face of ridicule even my modest offerings will look good. Instead, I get this, and I'm frozen with apprehension!
Now I've lost the darling little photo.
I could give you a picture of mine and you won't be able to tell the difference: the same serious sullen expression and sunken cheeks.
Originally Posted By: Avy
I could give you a picture of mine and you won't be able to tell the difference: the same serious sullen expression and sunken cheeks.

Wow! Maybe Avy, you are Beck's brother! smile
...Yessir...
...to win,” Stonewall...
...the church – ill-mannered...

...who would brook no folly. Such as stories about a silly old Bear and (among other friends) a baby marsupial, for instance.

Hey, Mister wofahulicodoc, you forgot "Prime Minister". smile

And can you give us a clue to help us answer your onnicle about the "silly old Bear and baby marsupial"? confused
Quote:

Hey, Mister wofahulicodoc, you forgot "Prime Minister". smile

Yes I did, didn't I. Too much of the Purloined Letter; I didn't see it!

Quote:
And can you give us a clue to help us answer your onnicle about the "silly old Bear and baby marsupial"? confused

The clue is exactly your Silly Old Bear quotation.

My onnicle was probably triggered by mention of Winston Churchill. I might add that it has nothing to do with the Elephant's Child and his Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo. Oh, wait, that's the wrong British author, isn't it. But in any case, the question is to identify Silly Old Bear, and go from there. (Don't look too hard; It is rather minimalist...)

Spoiler alert:

Here's a pointer to the clue, if you want it.
Originally Posted By: Avy

My excuse is a years-long obsession with Somali bottled water. It sinks the cheeks and makes one quite serious about things.
[Destroying her stash of Somali bottled water]
Thanks, Wofahulicodoc, that was a fun read.
Edward Bear (whose real name is "Sanders") is really Winnie-ther-pooh, the pooh bear who namesaked Sir Winston Churchill. smile
Posted By: wofahulicodoc short and sweet - 09/01/10 04:21 PM
Quite so. Thanks be to Google Books, complete with the Shepard illustrations. There is some speculation that Edward Bear was A. A. Milne's mistaken assumption that the teddy bear, being named for Theodore Roosevelt [true], also could also be assigned the fanciful name Edward, like Edward/Teddy Kennedy [but that wasn't the case for TR].

So you found the Pooh onnicle? And the infant marsupial, who started this discussion? (He doesn't appear until Chapter 6.)
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: short and sweet - 09/01/10 08:11 PM
No, several chapters are missing in the url version you posted including Chapter Six. Oh well...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: short and sweet - 09/02/10 12:54 AM
Ah, but my onnicle was in this thread, above: ...who would brook no folly. Such as stories about a silly old Bear and (among other friends) a baby marsupial, for instance.

A bunch of chapters are missing from the spoiler, all right, but you'll find the Table of Contents if you scroll up a few pages. That will help you identify the baby marsupial onnicle. I presume you found the Silly Old Bear onnicle, who started out by swimming in the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo.
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: short and sweet - 09/03/10 09:41 PM
Well no, Wofahulicodoc, I didn't solve your onnicle.
But what I did was wake up thursday morning and somebody inside of me said "You know what? A "roo" might be said to be a baby marsupial.

Was he right? smile

who would brook no folly. Such as stories about a silly old Bear and (among other friends) a baby marsupial, for instance.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Pal Joey - 09/04/10 01:23 AM
Here's at least a part of Chapter Six, so you can judge for yourself !

(I plead guilty to egocentricity. If I grew up reading Winnie the Pooh, mustn't everybody have?! )
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: Pal Joey - 09/04/10 12:35 PM
See, we are all the product of our past.

The small boy who grew up reading "Winnie the Pooh"
grew into the man who became "Wofahulicodoc the Pooh-Bah".

And I think that the World is better for it, don't you? smile
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pal Joey - 09/05/10 01:16 AM
The world is most certainly better for having Dr. wofa in it! smile
Posted By: Avy Re: short and sweet - 09/06/10 02:02 AM
Ah, but my onnicle was in this thread, above: ...who would brook no folly. Such as stories about a silly old Bear and (among other friends) a baby marsupial, for instance.

I don't think this is the right answer, but it could be.
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: short and sweet - 09/07/10 01:33 AM
Good read, Avy.

The word-hunt phrases I list below are based on information in the book NAMES by Paul Dickson. The answers preceed or are with-in the questions asked.

(1) What was the name of Holly Golightly's cat in the movie and the book "Breakfast At Tiffany's?

(2)In the television series "Columbo" Inspector Columbo's basset hound was wrinkled and lazy. What was the dog's name?

(3)Just by looking at it most people can tell a manifest connection between the name and the thing. The name was Llulu; what was the animal?

(4)Harpo Marx had a pet sea gull. He named it after the director of "Riot In Cell Block 11" a movie about a prison revolt and the subsequent siege lockdown reluctantly ordered by the wishee-washee warden.
The sea gull's name was __________ !

Have fun. smile

...destroys them - and their meaning - entirely.

I do believe that, although it's never actually been spelled out, there has been an understanding/acceptance that the name is to be broken into word-length sequences of letters concealed in the body of the text. First and second names might be separated, but not individual letters or syllables. Thus "roo" is the baby marsupial, not e, e, or y, let alone o, r, and e. That would be a very gloomy friend, indeed.

Maybe we do need some steenkin' roolz after all?

I'll start the bidding on J^2's offering -
1) Didn't Holly Golightly's cat have the same name as the horse that America sang about going through the desert on?
3) With a double-l, Animal-3 has to be a llama.
Not exactly, wofahulicodoc. The desert was run through by a horse with no name but Holly Golightly's frozen cat once had a name and that name was "Cat".

But yes on (3). Llulu was most definately a llama.

I'll edit and highlight those two correct answers. smile
I agree with the subject as explicated by wolf. I propose that as a rule, then: No atoms - the names have to appear intact. Disguised, to be sure, but in sequence unbroken by other letters. Punctuation, spaces or capitalization may be conflated into the target word, but not other letters.

I also propose that if the target word is formed as an acronym or appears backward in the riddle, the clue should so state (however subtly.)

Any takers for these two suggestions?
Thank you, Anu, for my new swollen head. smile
I agree to those Roolz.

Thank you, Anu, for my new swollen head.

Looks kinda cool in a cubist type of way. Like a profile and a frontal shot at the same time.
And I agree, halfhead, to abide by your conventions, but you doesn't have call them "roolz". smile
Originally Posted By: olly

Thank you, Anu, for my new swollen head.

Looks kinda cool in a cubist type of way. Like a profile and a frontal shot at the same time.

Cubist it is. Thanks to a few of our posters on this and other threads, it has swollen to fit the interior of my cubist office. I was fortunate enough to think ahead (NPI) and position my mouth near one of the doors, so I'm able to take sustinence and shout obscenities.
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: short and sweet - 09/11/10 02:26 AM
Good read, Avy.

The word-hunt phrases I list below are based on information in the book NAMES by Paul Dickson. The answers preceed or are with-in the questions asked.

(1) What was the name of Holly Golightly's cat in the movie and the book "Breakfast At Tiffany's?

(2)In the television series "Columbo" Inspector Columbo's basset hound was wrinkled and lazy. What was the dog's name?

(3)Just by looking at it most people can tell a manifest connection between the name and the thing. The name was Llulu; what was the animal?

(4)Harpo Marx had a pet sea gull. He named it after the director of "Riot In Cell Block 11" a movie about a prison revolt and the subsequent siege lockdown reluctantly ordered by the wishee-washee warden.
The sea gull's name was ____ Siegel !

Well? Ice Ages come and go so I'll highlight above the simple answers that you fellow onnicklers found so difficult. Cheers!
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: short and sweet - 09/19/10 12:24 AM
Well? I guess that you all are somehow offended by my little test. No matter...best of luck to you all in the future.
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: short and sweet - 10/05/10 05:50 PM
Not offended by any means, Jenny!!! Just have been super busy. I will try to submit something soon.

CB
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: short and sweet - 10/05/10 09:30 PM
Conversation overheard one foggy morning in Germantown.
“Are you Maria Eberhardt-Will?”
“I am, ja! Was ist los?”
“You are hereby served with a subpoena duces tecum.”
“Sehr gut! Guten Tag!”
“Huh?”
“Maam, I said ‘very good and have a good day.’”
“Oh, I don’t understand German, only Spanish.”
“Muy bien – buenos dias, hermana!”

Onniclue: General Conversation?
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Kudos ! - 10/06/10 11:06 AM
Where's that "Like" button? Like the embedding. Like the onnicle. Like the clue. Like the multi-level misdirection. Like "Wiliam Tecumseh Sherman." (I'd also Like to have more time to put up the next target but alas it isn't there - someone else should take it as it's likely to be a couple of days before I can.)
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Kudos ! - 10/07/10 12:03 AM
Thanks, wofa! smile
Posted By: Candy can I join this game? - 10/09/10 04:20 AM

I have it by george...I have been coming back to this puzzle over last few days. I got the William bit straight off but then had to look for the rest. Once I saw Sherman I was on to it. Now I understand the 'general' clue LOL. I was stuck on the 'conversation' part and was thinking William Tell.

The answer is William Tecumseh Sherman.
Posted By: Candy Re: can I join this game? - 10/09/10 04:39 AM
But.......now I see "hidden text" its already been solved.

Oh well...good practice for next round blush
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: can I join this game? - 10/11/10 06:12 PM
Welcome, Candy! Glad to have you with us!

CB
Posted By: Coffeebean a new one - have fun! - 10/12/10 06:10 PM
My friend, avid computer geeks and my doctor will concur: spending too much time creating Visual Basic macros by using Excel Solver has driven me crazy. So the doc prescribed Luminal to help me calm down, get some rest and be able to carry on with my work. I thought I’d got it made until I opened the bottle. Oy! Did you ever taste Phenobarbitol? Ugh! That stuff’s nasty – the taste in my mouth lingers still. So I try to mask it with graham crackers and blackberry brandy – unashamedly, the cheap stuff. Hah! Well, as for the breakfasts in our house of caffeine and nicotine, I’ll blame my young friend Judy for getting me started on that. And so the question which now arises is: how do I get off this terrible roller coaster before I plunge headlong into the darkness?

Clue: find the band and four of their songs herein
Posted By: Candy Re: a new one - have fun! - 10/14/10 06:59 AM
Well...I have the band and the band members and three of their songs.......but no-way can I find the forth one.

(Great story by the way, CB. Did it take you long to makeup? )
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: a new one - have fun! - 10/14/10 04:11 PM
Go ahead and post your answer, Candy. One of the songs was not a big hit, so that may be the one you didn't find.

Ah, off and on, inbetween real work - two hours from start to finish?
Posted By: Candy Re: a new one - have fun! - 10/15/10 03:01 PM
I did have fun...

Artists...CSN&Y
David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and Neil Young
songs
1 Carry on
2 Our House
3 Into the Darkness
4 ?
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: a new one - have fun! - 10/15/10 05:01 PM
grin

Got it Made (the more obscure song)

Glad you had fun. I have fun making them up!

CB
Posted By: Candy Re: a new one - have fun! - 10/16/10 12:00 AM
well it was more fun solving it than making the next one up (for me) but here goes......

Lifesaver ice cream is the newest thing in dietary supplements offered to calm thunderclap tonitrophobia, according to the latest medical research and is best eaten with clients low hand.

Onniclue: sticking with music theme

(just name of artist.....and anything else you may find related)
Posted By: beck123 Re: a new one - have fun! - 10/16/10 06:43 PM
I see Eric Clapton, Slow Hand, and Cream, but no Mr. Johnson.

Nice job!

(...and I'm sticking to the eye theme for the avatar)
Posted By: Candy Re: Slowhand - 10/17/10 03:19 AM
correct Beck

(and the eyes have it)
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Slowhand - 10/18/10 09:12 PM
Good job, Candy!

Beck, do we look for a new puzzle from you?

CB
Posted By: beck123 Re: Slowhand - 10/18/10 10:15 PM
Yes, eventually; but not today, I'm afraid. Hello to all.
Posted By: Candy Re: next round - 10/22/10 10:47 PM
maybe this weekend then Beck whistle
Posted By: Coffeebean New One - 11/05/10 12:42 AM
A morning walk is so refreshing! I stopped at the Boston Public Library and picked up a book to pass the time. I am waiting here in my room at Howard Johnson’s until it’s time to leave for the airport, reading about the general officers of World War I. I was just at the part where this famous assassin German spies were hunting was sighted, and they were about to apprehend him in a hotel room, but the assassin made a quick getaway and fled to Buenos Aires, Argentina. It’s a good enough read to pass the time, but definitely not the calibre of my favorite, Robert Louis Stevenson. Well, I suppose it will do. In a while I’ll catch my flight to Jerusalem. I’ve always wanted to visit the hills of Galilee. Au revoir!

Find the artist and seven of his works herein.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/05/10 01:40 AM
I've been to Israel many times. Enjoy your visit.
Posted By: Candy Re: New One - 11/05/10 11:58 AM
thanks CB
will be back tomorrow and look at it again.

You are well travelled Luke.....what was your favourite tourist attraction?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/05/10 02:37 PM

In all honesty, in Israel, it was the beauty of
the Galilean countryside. The area around Lake Kinnereth
(Sea of Galilee) in January with flowers blooming, and
all the green. Marvelous especially since there was
snow at home at that same time.
Posted By: Jackie Re: New One - 11/06/10 01:38 AM
I got the artist, but would have to cheat to find any of his works, let alone seven! Kudos!
Posted By: Candy Re: New One - 11/07/10 12:06 AM
I haven't looked at it yet, well not past the first reading.
Posted By: BranShea Re: New One - 11/07/10 05:12 PM
Could someone tell me what is understood by 'artist'?
Is it writer, musician, visual artist, actor? So I might know what to look for?
Posted By: Jackie Re: New One - 11/08/10 02:41 AM
In this case he's a painter. I am ashamed to tell you that I could not name a single thing he painted.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/08/10 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
In this case he's a painter. I am ashamed to tell you that I could not name a single thing he painted.

Mind gone blank, Jackie?
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: New One - 11/08/10 03:54 AM
Artist is KISS, or at least it's there in the first sentence. But I confess no knowledge of the song titles...leave them to youse guys.

PS Luke - look for invisible text...
Posted By: Candy Re: New One - 11/08/10 10:45 AM
if the artist is a painter...it cant be KISS, wofa

I think Jackie has put some red herrings in the question
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: New One - 11/08/10 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
A morning walk is so refreshing! I stopped at the...

if the artist is a painter...it can't be KISS, wofa!

I think Jackie has put some red herrings in the question

Okay. If it isn't, then you put a red herring in, too! Which also accounts for my not finding any works by KISS in the rest of the onnicle.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: New One - 11/08/10 12:48 PM
Now I see your artist, John Singer Sargent

Still don't know any names of his works, without looking them up.

Also I see a tennis player there, [Matina] HINGIS. I guess this is one hazard of writing complex paragraphs - with that much "junk DNA" there's likely to be an occasional viable mutation in there somewhere by accident!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/08/10 04:11 PM
Artist is KISS, or at least it's there in the first sentence. But I confess no knowledge of the song titles...leave them to youse guys.

PS Luke - look for invisible text...

I am not very computer literate, only had one for 3 years now,
how do I look for invisible text??, please?
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: New One - 11/08/10 04:22 PM
Just drag your cursor over the blank area and the text will appear, Luke.

Okay, folks, let's clear up something: looking things up is not "cheating" in this game. Jackie has correctly stated that the artist, in this case, is a painter.

Feel free to solve the puzzle, anyone. Let's not hold to the original "rule" that the solver had to post the new puzzle. Let's just have some fun!

CB
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/08/10 04:27 PM

Thanks, CB; I presume you are referring to my drawing my
cursor over Jackie's blank post. I've done that and
nothing happens, which is why I thought she forgot
something. Still does not work even after your suggestion.
Thanks anyway, I guess, for trying to help.
Posted By: BranShea Re: New One - 11/08/10 06:11 PM
Aha! Thank you Jackie.
@ Luke. Coffeebean must be a magician. Just hit the 'quote' button of the blank post and you'll see the text.

Right, got the painter, now for the works.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: New One - 11/08/10 06:20 PM
@Luke: hold the mouse left-button down as you drag the cursor over the post, and any invisible text under your dragged area will be highlighted in relief.

My post too, like this stuff here.

(The comma at the end of a sentence, where there should have been a period, may be a hint that it's not a typo, it's someone trying to be clever.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: New One - 11/08/10 06:48 PM
In the meantime I'm at six works now, speed it up searchers!

Good.
Seven works by Singer Sargent:

Boston Public Library
Robert Louis Stevenson
A morning Walk
Hills of Gallilee
Jerusalem
A Hotel Room
General Officers of the Great war

That was fun Coffeebean! Here's a nice link to Sargent's Paintings. This outcome would not have been possible without the hints given.

Link
Posted By: BranShea Re: New One - 11/08/10 07:09 PM
P.S. asassin German spies were hunting was sighted, and they were about to apprehend him in a hotel room, but the assassin made a quick getaway and fled to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Good one Coffeebean!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/08/10 10:55 PM
@Luke: hold the mouse left-button down as you drag the cursor over the post, and any invisible text under your dragged area will be highlighted in relief.

My post too, like this stuff here.

(The comma at the end of a sentence, where there should have been a period, may be a hint that it's not a typo, it's someone trying to be clever.)

GREAT, thanks. Your's worked "like this stuff here" it
says. But nothing appears on Jackie's. Thanks.
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: New One - 11/08/10 11:45 PM
So glad you enjoyed it! I had fun writing it, and enjoyed scrolling through that very website.

A Morning Walk is my favorite! To see them in person some day... [sigh!]

@wofa -- don't think I could name any songs by KISS either! LOL
Posted By: Candy Re: New One - 11/09/10 11:23 AM
Congratulations BranShea...well played.
I didn't know artist at all...though there was something familiar about his 'Siesta' painting.

Your story was very good Coffeebean, it must have taken hours of research...thanks for the game.
Posted By: BranShea Re: New One - 11/09/10 01:51 PM
;-) Must have been a long scroll then, I lost patience and changed to searching on Sargent Singer + some words I suspected of possibly being the title of a painting. That worked. Thanks again.
Posted By: Jackie Re: New One - 11/10/10 03:06 AM
Confess I only saw Sargent; I didn't even SEE the Singer! Good eye, Branny!

Luke, you scared me half to death; it would altogether too likely if I had posted a blank! But running my cursor over both my post and your quote box reveals the text to me. I wonder why it doesn't work for you? (But then, anyone here who has known me for a while knows that I always think other peoples' screens show the same things mine does.)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New One - 11/10/10 03:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Confess I only saw Sargent; I didn't even SEE the Singer! Good eye, Branny!

Luke, you scared me half to death; it would altogether too likely if I had posted a blank! But running my cursor over both my post and your quote box reveals the text to me. I wonder why it doesn't work for you? (But then, anyone here who has known me for a while knows that I always think other peoples' screens show the same things mine does.)

Yes, well sorry for the scare.
But nothing appears yet at this late date in either
your original post or my quote of it. So it is another
example of "things that go bump in the night" on this site.
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: New One - 11/10/10 10:21 PM
I am waiting here in my room at Howard Johnson’s until it’s time to leave for the airport, reading about the general officers of World War I. I was just at the part where this famous assas sin Ger man spies were hunting was sighted, and they were about to apprehend him in a hotel room, but the assassin made a quick getaway and fled to Buenos Aire s, Argent ina.
Posted By: BranShea Re: New One - 11/11/10 11:55 AM
Ah, sorry I forgot the John. We always only called him Singer Sargent.
Posted By: Coffeebean Postcard from Portland - 11/11/10 10:47 PM
Dear Becky –
We’re having an absolute blast here in Portland, Oregon. Every day we’ve visited pubs, toured breweries and wineries! I tell you, once I get home from this alcoholic lark I’m going on a diet for sure! I have eaten too much, drunken too much and it shows! Ah, but the seafood is fabulous! Stuffed sole, pecan-crusted halibut, alder-planked salmon, and the most superb oysters I’ve ever tasted! And just the right wines and microbrews to pair with them. Last night I drank too much of a delicious dark ale – like a stout but with tasty roasted malts and a hoppy finish. You would have loved it. We were at The Lucky Labrador last night and will go there again tonight. Hope I still have liver function by the end of this trip! Wish you were here.

Love,
Sis

The three names of a fictional person are hidden herein.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/12/10 02:06 AM
Spoiler alert: I put my tentative answer in white. C-bean, I put a question for you.

We’re having an absolute blast here in Portland, Oregon. Every day we’ve visited pubs, toured breweries and wineries! I tell you, once I get home from this alcoholic lark I’m going on a diet for sure! I have eaten too much, drunken too much and it shows! Ah, but the seafood is fabulous! Stuffed sole, pecan-crusted halibut, alder-planked salmon, and the most superb oysters I’ve ever tasted!
Boy??
Posted By: wofahulicodoc high spirits - 11/12/10 03:10 AM
Yup. And the other name is from before he emigrated! I think you overlooked that one, Jackie. You shouldn't have passed on the dark ale, let alone the stout.
Posted By: olly Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/12/10 03:23 AM
Theres one more I can see there Jackie wink
Posted By: Jackie Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/13/10 03:54 AM
C'mere, you two: I have something for each of you.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/13/10 12:25 PM

wink
Posted By: beck123 Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/14/10 12:21 AM
Clark Kent, Super Boy, and Kal-el?

(I hope I'm not violating some new protocol. I've been away for a while, and I don't get the white lettering...)
Posted By: beck123 Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/14/10 12:24 AM
Just in case it's my turn (and before the subject matter turns stale) here's one:

“So it’s Veterans’ Day, is it?” said the old man in the retirement home after spitting his quid into a potted plant.

“Yes, it is,” replied the nurse, “and I told you not to spit all over the place. That’s why I gave you that jar.”

Headstrong as ever, the old man grunted his disdain. “In my day,” he said, “I was a warrior. Whenever I wanted to, I just let fly. Boys looked up to me in that uniform; men stepped aside when I walked by. And the women! Some gal would wink at me, I’d sidle over and nibble at her neck, and before you knew it we’d... well, I’m sure you get the picture.”

“Don’t start! I get the picture, ok, but today we have professional soldiers and sailors, marines and airmen. Nobody calls them warriors anymore.”

“Well, I was a warrior, dammit, and we were called a lot worse than that.”

In fact , there are six slang names for GI’s in this puzzle in honor of our veterans, who were and are warriors in the ancient tradition no matter what we may call them.
Posted By: Candy Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/14/10 01:03 AM
you could be right Beck

I found this too

and microbrews to pair with them. Last night I drank too much of a delicious dark ale – like a stout but with tasty roasted malts and a hoppy finish. You would have loved it. We were at The Lucky Labrador last night and will go there again tonight. Hope I still have liver function by the end of this trip! Wish you were here.

Robin Hood

and I looked everywhere for Lois Lane....there were so many 'L's'
but I didn't find 'er.

Posted By: Candy Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/14/10 01:27 AM

(I hope I'm not violating some new protocol. I've been away for a while, and I don't get the white lettering...)

The white lettering is so....well just in case someone doesn't want to spoil the results for others. you can or don't have to look. Its hidden but visible if you want to see it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/14/10 01:56 AM
I've been away for a while Hey, it's great to see your fonts again! grin
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Postcard from Portland - 11/14/10 02:01 AM

I don't get the white lettering either, even with the
explanation, but that's just me, a bit odd.
Great to have you here again 123.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/14/10 02:48 AM
Just in case it's my turn (and before the subject matter turns stale) here's one:

“So it’s Veterans’ Day, is it?” said the old man in the retirement home after spitting his quid into a potted plant.

“Yes, it is,” replied the nurse, “and I told you not to spit all over the place. That’s why I gave you that jar.”

Headstrong as ever, the old man grunted his disdain. “In my day,” he said, “I was a warrior. Whenever I wanted to, I just let fly. Boys looked up to me in that uniform; men stepped aside when I walked by. And the women! Some gal would wink at me, I’d sidle over and nibble at her neck, and before you knew it we’d... well, I’m sure you get the picture.”

“Don’t start! I get the picture, ok, but today we have professional soldiers and sailors, marines and airmen. Nobody calls them warriors anymore.”

“Well, I was a warrior, dammit, and we were called a lot worse than that.”

In fact , there are six slang names for GI’s in this puzzle in honor of our veterans, who were and are warriors in the ancient tradition no matter what we may call them.

Hmm.

So far I have
- grunt
- flyboy (though strictly speaking that's Air Force, not ground as in Ground Infantryman = GI).
- jarhead - a Marine. You decide whether that's a GI or not. Warrior, certainly.
- leatherneck - ditto

That leaves two.

Plus the incidental Theo, there, squid (??), ninth, Otto, Thom, tall, youth, dwell, recalled, Seth, and Ethan. Didn't find any tunnel rats or poilu or Tommie or Limey or even Joe.

Nice theme. And warm feelings for HP-WOW; they also serve...
Posted By: Candy Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/14/10 03:00 AM
Great work wofa (inserts an animated smilie jumping up and down....if only there was one available).
Posted By: beck123 Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/14/10 01:11 PM
"GI," to the GIs I know, is a self-deprecating term meaning "government issue," carrying the implication that one is simply a replaceable cipher.

I had "squid" in mind, which leaves one more, and it also applies exclusively to sailors.

...been called worse than that...

Quote:
I’d sidle over

If you'd made it "stroll over" instead of "sidle" you could have included LOVER, too ... wink

Still missing one.
Posted By: beck123 Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/15/10 03:01 AM
The "sidle" was a nod to the slang word for my category - Navy civilians, know as "sand crabs." That's me. The remaining word is the standard, 3-letter crossword answer for the clue, "sailor."
Well, there's "tar" (as in "start") but I would consider that as much a merchant seaman as a fighting one, and so it flew under my radar.... (cross-thread)
Posted By: beck123 Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/15/10 10:10 PM
You've found them all. It's your turn to stump us dummies.
Posted By: Candy Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/16/10 10:44 AM
.....so it flew under my radar.... (cross-thread)

laugh I know

but I also want to put up.....the old man (twice mentioned) slang for ...The Unit Commander.
Posted By: beck123 Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/21/10 02:26 AM
Absolutely correctimundo, Candy. I wish I'd caught that one myself.
Posted By: Candy Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/26/10 01:48 AM
You've found them all. It's your turn to stump us dummies.

Are you still composing one, wofa confused
Posted By: beck123 Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/26/10 10:55 PM
Dr. Bill? Isn't the government supposed to take care of that?
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/29/10 09:50 PM
I think when he referred to Dr Bill he meant "wwh" aka Dr Bill, a former and well-loved AWAD board participant. I think wwh is still listed as the top poster.
Posted By: beck123 Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/30/10 02:54 AM
OK, here's one:

Having to watch Alice eat her waffle as she sits on the edge of her bed bugs Bob to no end. “I must admit Estelle would have been a better partner for me,” he thought. “I’m so sick of lies and covering up. Maybe the stars will align at some happy place for me some day.”

Find the other six pests in there (besides Alice and Bob.)
Posted By: bexter Re: Where's Dr Bill when you want him! :( - 11/30/10 11:10 AM
Having to watch Alice eat her waffle as she sits on the edge of her bed bugs Bob to no end. “I must admit Estelle would have been a better partner for me,” he thought. “I’m so sick of lies and covering up. Maybe the stars will align at some happy place for me some day.”

I think that's all of them but I can't write them to save my life so feel free to write one for me!
Posted By: Candy Re: puzzle solved :) - 11/30/10 12:02 PM
I'm looking at your answers bexter and thinking.....lies??????

they are annoying but not pests..then I see you just failed to highlight the 'f'

I’m so sick oflies and covering up

well done, and so quick.
Posted By: bexter Re: puzzle solved :) - 11/30/10 12:04 PM
oops! I should probably correct that!
Posted By: Candy Re: puzzle solved :) - 11/30/10 12:09 PM
No..it didn't matter
Posted By: bexter Re: puzzle solved :) - 11/30/10 12:35 PM
They would be rather interesting creatures though...I am imagining flies without wings lying around...
Posted By: bexter Re: a new (and rather rubbish) one for you - 11/30/10 09:02 PM
'What hath inglory done for us?' he cried at the top of his lungs, 'Nowt but made vices of us,' he continued to rapturous applause, 'I shall not be a doormat, terrified of a master I don't want' the cheering lessened as he moved onto a more boring subject, that of the minisub stances of world governments. Realising he had lost the crowd he changed to another, 'MEntity mapping is the new thing?' he queried and was greeted with silence, 'err...ar...TICLE informed education maybe?', once more nothing, he was panicking now, 'how about...' a sob 'jecta? No? Well in that case I give up' raucous applause followed much to his disappointment, and didn't finish until he was out of the building.

Find thing and 6 synonyms smile

(apologies for how terrible it is...I couldn't really think of anything!)
Posted By: bexter Re: a new (and rather rubbish) one for you - 12/01/10 01:27 PM
'No more to travel to Aisa, idyllic as it is' he _ _ _ _

On the map utopianists are also found in Mozambique, capital city of which is _ _ _ _ _ _

'_ _ _ _ _ _ _ is a philosophical concept that refers to liberty and is often referred to by setting slaves free DOMINIC!' the teacher shouted at the unruly pupil.

My old English teacher used to give us these...the _'s tell of the missing word in the sentence (can be anywhere in the sentence), which can be found in the words of the question/sentence (The question ones tended to be very difficult as you had to know the answer before you could look for the word...). Feel free to answer these easy ones instead of the rather rubbish paragraph I posted earlier.
Posted By: Candy Re: a new (and rather rubbish) one for you - 12/01/10 10:54 PM
I get the last two....but not the first one?

Maputo map utopianist
Freedom free' Dominic
Posted By: bexter Re: a new (and rather rubbish) one for you - 12/01/10 11:12 PM
Bravo! They seemed to be a bit better than my truly atrocious paragraph...the third you were looking for was

said aisa idyllic

up above in white (spolier (also have wanted to do that for AGES!)not really spoiling it but anyway...)
Posted By: Candy Re: a new (and rather rubbish) one for you - 12/01/10 11:32 PM
Oh...I should have got that blush

re 'white spoiler' there is another way which I'll try now...

Click to reveal..
using the 'S' strike through key.....I've been wanting to do this for a while too LOL

yeh....it works.

and bexter...re onnickler.....they are hard to do, I try and fail to get any sensible sentence, let alone a paragraph. Maybe there is a formula we don't know about yet.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc better late - 12/02/10 04:18 AM
Sorry. Busy. Crunch time. The electronic record takes twice as long to work with as the old paper one did, and our annual Messiah performance goes up on Saturday, rehearsals all week...no time to spare. The sponsoring body is named Music Worcester, a relatively large organization, but I'm afraid it's going to produce a small audience this year.

You did right to continue on without me. (But if you search, and eliminate all the extraneous stuff, I did squeeze in a very primitive onnicle here.)

Posted By: Candy Re: better late - 12/02/10 07:40 AM
Good luck with the Messiah on Saturday, wofa, though it sounds as if you are putting much more into the performance than you expect to get appreciated by the audience...still if only one person is in rapture, your work is done.

Maybe you could upload a video onto you tube and we all could hear it.

bexter did solve your puzzle whistle if you check back a bit.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: better late - 12/02/10 11:54 AM
I don't think that'll be possible, unfortunately. Union rules prohibit even our getting a CD of it. Except for a moderate fee, of course, which Music Worcester declines to fork over, in these tight times. But Robert Honeysucker (Bass) at rehearsal last night sounded as though he could have raised the dead with his Trumpet ! (And that wouldn't come across on a video anyway, I fear...)
Posted By: Candy Re: 'What hath inglory done for us? - 12/02/10 11:55 AM

Well.... this is what I have!!!!!!

Antarctic
snow
ice
sub c (as in centigrade.... garbing at straws here)
minus
therm (not sure with this one either) and maybe
south

the other word I found was...panic, but I'm not doing that.
Posted By: Candy Handel's Messiah - 12/02/10 12:03 PM
..... Robert Honeysucker (Bass) at rehearsal last night sounded as though he could have raised the dead with his Trumpet !

almost an aptonym happening there....

also...pity about the (lack of ) recording....it would have been nice to hear it.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: 'What hath inglory done for us? - 12/02/10 12:32 PM
I found thing (both concealed and in plaintext), object, device, article, entity, matter. Then it got late and I got tired and gave up. Which is also the reason I never found a subtle way of inserting something about "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience..

"Antarctica" ! Even better! Good thinking ! I'm impressed ! I s'pose if an onnicle is long enough, you can find just about anything in it. A little like the Infinite Number of Monkeys.
Posted By: Candy Re: 'What hath inglory done for us? - 12/02/10 12:42 PM

"Antarctica" ! Even better! Good thinking ! I'm impressed ! I s'pose if an onnicle is long enough, you can find just about anything in it. A little like the Infinite Number of Monkeys.

Thanks for not making fun of my attempt and making me smile, but I can see that your find is much better.
Posted By: bexter Re: 'What hath inglory done for us? - 12/02/10 12:50 PM
I found thing (both concealed and in plaintext), object, device, article, entity, matter. Then it got late and I got tired and gave up.

Wow! You found most of them! only one left is
Click to reveal..
minisub stances
(ooh I like this new clicky thing!)
Well I wasn't anticipating that anyone would find anything in that rubbish, but obviously it wasn't too bad wink
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Messiah, and Messiah Light - 12/06/10 02:45 AM
Quote:
…our annual Messiah performance goes up on Saturday, rehearsals all week...no time to spare. The sponsoring body is named Music Worcester, a relatively large organization, but I'm afraid it's going to produce a small audience this year.

You did right to continue on without me. (But if you search, and eliminate all the extraneous stuff, I did squeeze in a very primitive onnicle here.)

Quote:
...never found a subtle way of inserting something about "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience…

So. Performance was last night. Well received, I would say; after three standing-O curtain calls the conductor did something I've not seen before in 36 years of performing Messiah: he called for an encore, and repeated the entire Hallelujah chorus, with audience sing-along. And they did. Here's a review of the concert in our local newspaper; please feel free to ignore it. It's written in "critic-speak" - for example, "brisk and energetic" means "too fast" but everybody seemed to like it anyway.

Then today we did selected choruses, at the Worcester Art Museum. Followed by a few carols. Smaller group, piano accompaniment, VERY different acoustics. Interesting contrast.

Now I get to breathe again. At least until January, when it's off to Haydn's The Creation for mid-March. In the meantime the oniclette above still stands.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Messiah, and Messiah Light - 12/06/10 03:10 AM
Ooh! I was just going to ask you how it went! Thank you! Great review! To what do you attribute this aspect?
never has the group sounded as polished and professional as it did Saturday.

Posted By: BranShea Re: Messiah, and Messiah Light - 12/07/10 08:50 AM
Sounds like a real great event and a super review. I love this time of year where live music is to be found in many places.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Messiah, and Messiah Light - 12/07/10 04:04 PM
Me too!
Unfortunately you newspaper review will not come through,
the review of the event, wofa...
Posted By: Candy Re: Messiah, and Messiah Light - 12/09/10 11:44 AM
Well you have to read it Luke....such fine praise.
So I'm posting the whole thing.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Worcester Chorus gives rich rendition of 'Messiah'

By Joyce Tamer TELEGRAM & GAZETTE REVIEWER

WORCESTER — In April 1742, a music reviewer writing about a performance of Handel's "Messiah" for the Dublin Journal stated, “Words are wanting to express the exquisite Delight it afforded the admiring crowded Audience.” The same could be said of the performance of "Messiah" given by the Worcester Chorus under the auspices of Music Worcester Saturday evening in Mechanics Hall.

In the 13 years this reviewer has listened to performances by the Worcester Chorus, never has the group sounded as polished and professional as it did Saturday. The quality of sound through all the voice parts was rich and relaxed, with beautifully shaped vowel sounds and exquisite phrasing. In the polyphonic sections, each vocal part was well-delineated, creating a clear and transparent texture, and in the unison or homophonic parts of the work the chorus sang with a beautiful blend of voices.

Director Christopher Shepard set a brisk pace in the opening Sinfonia and maintained the energetic and buoyant character throughout. The chorus, too, retained its intensity and focus and responded to Shepard's conducting with sensitivity. The balance between the orchestra, soloists and chorus was excellent and it is a tribute to all the performers involved in Saturday's performance that a work so familiar sounded so fresh and interesting.

The small orchestra, assembled especially for this concert, accompanied capably for an ensemble that is not accustomed to playing together, though there were some problems with intonation in the violins.

Michelle Graveline performed admirably on both the harpsichord and organ, and Jonathan Clark's trumpet playing was outstanding, especially in the Air, “The trumpet shall sound ... ”

The choruses in "Messiah" are interspersed with many recitatives and arias and these were capably handled by the evening's soloists.

Gina Beck conveyed the wide range of emotions required throughout the oratorio. Her clear, bright soprano voice, filled with radiant joy, was especially touching in the three recitatives in Part One in which the angels appear to the shepherds. Krista River possesses a lovely mezzo-soprano voice which she uses to great effect. However, it seemed that the parts, which Handel wrote interchangeably for contralto or countertenor, were a little low for her range and required a heavier tone quality. The two male soloists were outstanding. Charles Blandy possesses a clear, focused, gorgeous tenor voice which he uses with keen intelligence and musicianship. His stunning rendition of the opening recitative, “Comfort ye ... " set the tone for the rest of the evening. Robert Honeysucker's rich bass voice and commanding presence in all of his arias and recitatives, but especially in the final Resurrection recitative and aria in Part Three, were riveting and revelatory.

The audience for this concert was one of the quietest and most attentive groups encountered at Mechanics Hall. They showed their appreciation with a lengthy standing ovation, which brought the soloists and Shepard back for several bows. Graciously responding to the prolonged applause, Shepard turned to the orchestra to signal an encore and invited the audience to join in if they knew the tune. And so we all lustily - and quite capably - sang a repeat of the Hallelujah chorus. It was a wonderful evening.

You have a right to feel very proud Wofa but I still say...pity you were not aloud to make/broadcast any recordings.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Messiah, and Messiah Light - 12/09/10 03:57 PM
Thanks Candy.
Truly magnificent words: fitting praise for what must
have been a truly awesome performance. Scored praise
in all areas. Thanks, again.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc pease porridge in the pot - 12/11/10 06:09 PM
Okay, only six days old. It's been moved off the page and out of sight, thanks to your kind comments, but I owe you one!

Quote:
…our annual Messiah performance goes up on Saturday, rehearsals all week...no time to spare. The sponsoring body is named Music Worcester, a relatively large organization, but I'm afraid it's going to produce
Quote:
...insert "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience…
a small audience this year.

It should be relatively easy to find. Never could figure out whether he was German or English. And apparently, neither could he. Maybe it should have been "not a very large or generous organization" instead of what's there.
Posted By: BranShea Re: pease porridge in the pot - 12/11/10 07:48 PM
Maybe it should have been "not a very large or generous organization" instead of what's there.

Are you refering to Georg Friedrich Händel? Or George Friedric Handel?
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: pease porridge in the pot - 12/11/10 08:00 PM
Yes. Both. Neither. All of the above. Some other combination.

Posted By: Candy Re: pease porridge in the pot - 12/12/10 02:19 AM
I think, and I have for some time been thinking this, but cant get it straight....that there is an Onamography to be solved here crazy

If someone could just post it, by itself, I might have a better chance of working it out!

Wolfa!
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Your wish is my - 12/12/10 02:27 AM
Quote:
…our annual Messiah performance goes up on Saturday, rehearsals all week...no time to spare. The sponsoring body is named Music Worcester, a relatively large organization, but I'm afraid it's going to produce
Quote:
...insert "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience…
a small audience this year.

The medium is the message!
Posted By: Candy Re: Your wish is my - 12/12/10 02:44 AM
[Quote]…

The medium is the message!

You were just tooooo clever, hiding it in there. the post made complete sense too me...I wasn't looking at it as part of the game.

Good capture Bran
Posted By: Candy Re: Your wish is my - 12/27/10 05:37 AM

I watched the musical Sweeney Todd the other day and loved it. But how can that be, when it was a horror and the main theme running though it was cannibalism...oh, and love lost. A story of revenge.

Below is new OMINICLE to be solved....a quorum of 12.

I had a vague recollection of having heard my friend, Olivera Markwick, speak of a hair-raising ordeal she had once while driving a taxicab. A retired doctor from the infirmary, popp in shortly after a lunatic had escaped from custody and held several patients hostage. The psychic, a goliath of a man, thought he was bulletproof. American police quickly evacuated the west side. Story-lines in the papers were full of how the assassin gin' in the raincoat had been captured. Much praise went to, my friend but she said she did little,
the chummy, fair ladykiller had calmly flagged down the taxi and got in the back seat, she recognised him straight away from the pictures broadcast hourly on the TV. As the sound of death metal music blared from the speakers, she devised a plan and speed away, breaking as many traffic laws as possible, hoping to get the right attention, while seemingly doing as the yeggman ordered. Now she was able to breathe a sigh of relief as Super, WI Zardo Fozzil, locked the handcuffs on the hapless captive, ratcheting them tighter to insure escape this time was impossible. And she felt like a vigintillion king after getting the reward.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Your wish is my - 12/28/10 02:16 AM
Oliver
Hair
Cabaret - nicely hidden!
Taxi
Mary Poppins
Fame

West Side Story
Singin' in the Rain
My Fair Lady
[Broadcast Hour]
Taxi (again)
[Gasman]
[Hey, Eggman!]
Wizard of Oz
[Vera]
Lion King

I think that's all twelve, plus four random Infinite Monkeys just happened to be there. (I was looking for Rent, but couldn't find it, so I tore my garments.)
Posted By: Candy Re: Your wish is my - 12/28/10 02:58 AM
wonderful effort Wofa, and so quick too.
it took me most of yesterday morning, on and off to fit the words into a 'some what' believable story...how did you rate my effort?

yes Cabaret was right for the hiding..... I think the combination of consonants and vowels helped.

is TAXI a musical?

well there are two more I put in, shall I reveal them?
Posted By: Candy Re: Your wish is my - 12/28/10 03:32 AM
........ (I was looking for Rent, but couldn't find it, so I tore my garments.)

RENT.....well if only I had known of it.

Funnily enough...I watched 'La bohème' on TV on Xmas Day and then read up on the story later on the internet....but I didn't see any reference to the musical.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc ten down, two to go - 12/28/10 03:53 AM
I'd say leave them a little longer for someone else to have fun with.

And no, Taxi isn't a movie. The Eggman is something out of the Beatles, no? More of the Infinite Number of Monkeys rearing their ugly heads.

How do we make these things? and how do we spot the hidden words? Opposite sides of the same coin, I would say.

One hint is to find a nonsense word, like Fozzil or WI Zardo; that beckons: "Look here for a word fragment!" "Chummy fair ladykiller" was another.

Dividing the word helps a lot. "Olivera" and Hair were intact, easy to spot as long as you know those are names of shows. "Cab-a-ret" was split and flowed naturally, as you point out. The elegance of the puzzle may be enhanced by selecting the target with this in mind. Like my hunt for Rent. (Maybe we can get our children to pay it? Also, I'd like my kids to live really close to me,** even after they've grown up and moved out...Each airplane ride to visit makes me nervous.)

When I did my George Frederick Handel it was much easier. (Had to be, as I said, I don't have much imagination.) I had only three words to sneak into a longer conversation. Even there, the business of "of red Eric Kunstler" was awkward, arbitrary-sounding, and alerting, if you turn on your incongruity sensors...

**(divided even more fiendishly - Have you ever visited Tripoli? Very friendly city, in spite of its history and the Barbary Pirates...)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 12/28/10 04:18 AM
You did really well, wofa...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc ten down, two to go - 12/29/10 03:28 AM
Maybe, but we're still two shows short of a quorum...
Posted By: Candy Re: ten down, two to go - 12/29/10 01:09 PM
yes...one is hidden very well..a modern musical/film
the other is in plain view and maybe the most well known of the 12.

have a go at finding them Luke.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 12/29/10 04:08 PM
yes...one is hidden very well..a modern musical/film
the other is in plain view and maybe the most well known of the 12.

have a go at finding them Luke.

I guess I have to confess that I've never followed this
onicle thread, I don't know the roolz nor do I have the
directions as to what to do. Sorry. Perhaps if you
share.........
The quorum business escapes me.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: ten down, two to go - 01/01/11 05:39 PM
quorum = the minimum number needed to conduct business. My Latin fails me here and I'm too lazy to LIU even though I'm sitting at the computer. A genetive case pronoun along the lines of "to whom, plural" or something.

What we're seeking in this onnicle are the names of musical plays and/or movies, buried among the distraction of a story of greater or lesser relevance. We've been told there are twelve, So far we've identified ten.

Examples are in my red letter sequences in recent post above - Rent, Hair, Oliver.

Why it's called an "Onnicle" escapes me. Because someone named it that, that's why, I guess.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: ten down, two to go - 01/01/11 05:43 PM
Did I see "Fame" just now? Des that mean we only need one more?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 01/01/11 05:49 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help a "newbie" on the site.
Sometimes I feel it is just an in-club, and you either
are 'in' or not a player. I appreciate it. I know
all I have to do usually is ask, but sometimes a little
help is good too.(and I thought 'quorum' meant a minimum
number of people had to be playing.)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 01/01/11 07:00 PM
Speed is a movie. Is there also a musical?
Backseat??? I don't follow all the musical-scene, but I do
enjoy them.

If following your comment above in #195438, then Speed
would fit: a movie about a bus that cannot go below
50 mph for if it does it will explode.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 01/01/11 07:05 PM
Bullet, also a movie (McQueen or Eastwood) ???
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: ten down, two to go - 01/02/11 12:47 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Thanks for taking the time to help a "newbie" on the site.
Sometimes I feel it is just an in-club, and you either
are 'in' or not a player. I appreciate it. I know
all I have to do usually is ask, but sometimes a little
help is good too.

Gee, Luke, you've been part of this playing-with-words forum here for long enough that I don't consider you a newbie any more, not by a long shot. You're a regular old-timer by now!

PS you're also the entire Board's top poster for the last 30 days - did you see that? Your hold on Newbie status is getting more and more tenuous...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 01/02/11 03:04 AM
I appreciate the kind words. It is probably just me,
but being ignored periodically gave me that feeling.
Knowing you think that way make's my New Years.
Top Poster? Where is that found?

I hardly ever looked over on that side of the screen.
For awhile I welcomed all the Newest Members, but when
I never saw them on the forum, I figured they were just
spiders or guests or something I did not understand.
I must really be getting "mouthy" to have that many posts.
Especially in 30 days. Of course most of them are
either "welcomes" probably, or posts on the Scrabble
game, or anagrams. Thanks for pointing that out. But
your words mean more, believe me. Happy New Year.
Posted By: Candy Re: ten down, two to go - 01/02/11 10:04 AM
Thanks Wofa...for explanation and examples.

Re FAME...yes that is one, but one of the 10 you found already.

And the movies like Speed + Taxi, are just coincidences......all the 12 I have hidden are musical either on stage or in movies.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 01/02/11 03:57 PM
Hmmmmmm....speed, just amazed I found one. Musical: ok,
back to the drawing board. Thanks again wofa....
Posted By: bexter Re: ten down, two to go - 01/08/11 11:15 AM
Well I am totally stumped...can't find the last ones at ALL!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ten down, two to go - 01/08/11 03:51 PM
......and I'll piggyback on you bex....I am stumped.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc got one ! - 01/08/11 05:51 PM
to recapitulate :

I had a vague recollection of having heard my friend, Olivera Markwick, speak of a hair-raising ordeal she had once while driving a taxicab. A retired doctor from the infirmary, popp in shortly after a lunatic had escaped from custody and held several patients hostage. The psychic, a goliath of a man, thought he was bulletproof. American police quickly evacuated the west side. Story-lines in the papers were full of how the assassin gin' in the raincoat had been captured. Much praise went to, my friend but she said she did little, the chummy, fair ladykiller had calmly flagged down the taxi and got in the back seat, she recognised him straight away from the pictures broadcast hourly on the TV. As the sound of death metal music blared from the speakers, she devised a plan and speed away, breaking as many traffic laws as possible, hoping to get the right attention, while seemingly doing as the yeggman ordered. Now she was able to breathe a sigh of relief as Super, WI Zardo Fozzil, locked the handcuffs on the hapless captive, ratcheting them tighter to insure escape this time was impossible. And she felt like a vigintillion king after getting the reward.[/color]

contains "...The psychic, a goliath of a man..."

Now for that pesky last one...
Posted By: bexter Re: got another one! - 01/08/11 08:50 PM
AHA I think I found it...maybe...

the sound of death metal music

yay!
Posted By: Candy Re: got another one! - 01/09/11 12:33 AM
Thats it Bex....and I thought The Sound of Music would be the easiest to find....thats why I took the liberty of separating it between another word. To me, it still stood out.

But the prize goes to.......>>>>> Wofahulicodoc
Congratulation Wofa, on your persistence and exuberant work!

(I am participially proud of how I integrated Chicago into the mix)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: got another one! - 01/09/11 01:38 AM
Good job, Candy.
Wofa....salud.
Posted By: bexter Re: got another one! - 01/11/11 12:14 PM
So wofa's up next in the devising role then? Can't wait smile
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: got another one! - 01/11/11 04:44 PM
More roolz.....does the winner have to post the new one??
Posted By: bexter Re: got another one! - 01/11/11 07:50 PM
I think that is what happens...I post on this one sometimes but always follow it because it takes me ages to find all of them...it happens, but only rarely...when I did manage it I made a pretty rubbish one for people to find...I don't mind doing a mini one until wofa composes his though...
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/11/11 08:21 PM
There are 5 classic novels in here (BONUS and one modern (satirical) novel from the world of the flying turtle...) Happy Hunting!

p.s. apologies for terribleness!

Jane Clifford: eyre apparent was contacted in the year Eighteen Ninety-Nine to claim the wealth of her draconic ulan Great Uncle Eric. However upon receiving the Nineteen million, Six thousand, and Eighty-Four pounds sixpence she subsequently lost all of her sense and sensibility and invested the lot in the building of the White Star Line’s new cruise ship, the Titanic. This venture, as you know, was a failure and the pickwick papers documented Miss Clifford’s loss in fortune and her subsequent death in a debtors' prison.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/11/11 10:04 PM
I see Jane Eyre

amd Nineteen Eighty-Four

plus Sense and Sensibility

with Pickwick Papers

but need more work on #5 unless it is Titanic??
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/11/11 10:06 PM
Very good! No Titanic is not one...#5 is more hidden than the others...wink
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/11/11 10:21 PM
I'm at a loss with "ulan" but I'll keep looking, or
maybe give someone else a chance.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/11/11 10:31 PM
I can help with that at least...it's a relatively new word to me too... ulan smile
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 12:35 AM
That is a very new one. I only checked one dictionary,
and it did not have it. But Dic.com did. Ulan, oglan
boy, youth. Interesting. I had images of
Ulan Bator, Mongolia.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 02:42 AM
'fraid mine will be a while coming...I beg your indulgence, but don't wait upon it.

Meantime, for the one remaining do you mean draconic ulan = DRACULA?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 03:32 AM
And I was concentrating on the ulan, but one has to drop
the "n". Good one!!!!!
Ulan, Polish for lad,boy, and related to Turk. oglan.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 07:55 AM
Well done wofa (goodness you're very good at this aren't you?!)

If you want to try and get the BONUS word...

p.s.it isn't a classic novel...
Posted By: Candy Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 12:16 PM
re ulan

Oil of Ulan...was a beauty product or skin moisturiser in Australia. Began its life in South Africa as Oil of Olay...1900, I think. It was a pink fluid rather than a cream. And when the product sent to the international market...it was renamed, something that they thought might be more appealing to each homeland.....hence Oil of Ulay (UK and Ireland), Oil of Ulan (Australia) and Oil of Olaz (France, Italy, the Netherlands and Germany).
Name change...around 2000 the company amalgamated the name, and Oil of Ulan and Ulay became Olay globally.

Now I know you guys may not be interested in 'beauty products' but the origin of words always fascinates.....
Posted By: Candy Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 12:49 PM
Could the bonus story be.... Clifford the story of a big red dog...this was favourite bedtime story for my children.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 01:04 PM
Unfortunately it's not...(there is a clue as to its origin in the beginning bit of the piece in brackets...)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/12/11 02:22 PM
My mother had Oil of Olay on her stand for years.
Haven't thought of it since. Thanks for fond memory.
Posted By: Candy Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter
There are 5 classic novels in here (BONUS and one modern (satirical) novel from the world of the flying turtle...) ....

I have been looking for the last (bonus)one.....

I looked for Gamera the giant, flying turtle-like creature from japanese monster movies...but then you said books, not movies, so thats why I couldn't find him!

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles..no sign of them either...

Have this joke about flying turtles though....

Deep within a forest a little turtle began to climb a tree. After
hours of effort he reached the top, jumped into the air waving
his front legs and crashed to the ground.

After recovering, he slowly climbed the tree again, jumped, and
fell to the ground. The turtle tried again and again while a
couple of birds sitting on a branch watched his sad efforts.
Finally, the female bird turned to her mate.

"Dear," she chirped, "I think it's time to tell him he's adopted."

Now I'm all out of ideas......maybe you didn't mean stories/novel about turtles, maybe just country/place they are found!!!!
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 01:21 PM
Hmm well another hint: The turtle is a star turtle
Posted By: Candy Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 01:36 PM
wont help me.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 01:37 PM
maybe google...GIANT STAR TURTLE and see what you get... wink

p.s. great joke!
Posted By: Candy Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 01:52 PM
glad you appreciated it.....I love turtles.
I was thinking of changing my forum name..and today considered 'flying turtle' they are very rare and mystical....I could have avatar to match.....
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 04:23 PM
I guess I cannot figure out the train of thought on this
thread, sorry. Is the turtle story another one with
hidden books or movies, or are we just conversating??
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 04:36 PM
In the piece with 5 classic books is another BONUS book, more modern than the others...there was (in brackets) a clue that I expanded for Candy...the book is from the world of the giant star turtle...as of now no-one has got the name of the book...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 04:45 PM
Gotcha. I'll pass, completely lost, as usual.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/13/11 04:58 PM
Try searching google for giant star turtle and a list of books should come up, one of which is in the paragraph
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 04:28 PM
Should be something by Terry Pratchett but I don't see the hidden title out of his bibliography:

The Colour of Magic · The Light Fantastic · Equal Rites · Mort · Sourcery · Wyrd Sisters · Pyramids · Guards! Guards! · Faust Eric · Moving Pictures · Reaper Man · Witches Abroad · Small Gods · Lords and Ladies · Men at Arms · Soul Music · Interesting Times · Maskerade · Feet of Clay · Hogfather · Jingo · The Last Continent · Carpe Jugulum · The Fifth Elephant · The Truth · Thief of Time · The Last Hero · The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents · Night Watch · The Wee Free Men · Monstrous Regiment · A Hat Full of Sky · Going Postal · Thud! · Wintersmith · Making Money · Unseen Academicals · I Shall Wear Midnight · Snuff · Raising Taxes · Scouting for Trolls

Short stories Troll Bridge · Theatre of Cruelty · The Sea and Little Fishes · Death and What Comes Next · A Collegiate Casting-Out of Devilish Devices

Other books The Discworld Companion · The Science of Discworld · The Science of Discworld II: The Globe · The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch · The Pratchett Portfolio · The Art of Discworld · The Unseen University Challenge · The Wyrdest Link · The Streets of Ankh-Morpork · The Discworld Mapp · A Tourist Guide to Lancre · Death's Domain · Nanny Ogg's Cookbook · The Discworld Almanak · Where's My Cow? · The Unseen University Cut Out Book · The Discworld Diaries · Once More* With Footnotes · The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld · The Folklore of Discworld

from this Wikipedia page...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 04:47 PM
WOW
I forgot we were still doing this search. Bex...send a
reminder, and it will come email, as did wofa's.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 06:23 PM
Does this mean you have given up?!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 06:32 PM
Nope.....just out of site, out of mind.
But if none of the ones mentioned above are it,
then I guess I am pretty mind-blown. But I did
get 4 of the 5. For me....awesome.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 09:33 PM
It is one of the ones wofa listed...it just doesn't have part of the title...the first bit isn't normally put in the title but in wofa's list that bit has been added...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 10:27 PM
Perhaps I'll have to check again. Not sure I'd recognize
the work, however.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/19/11 10:34 PM
Terry Pratchett is a must read! It is funny, satirical and brilliant...'The Truth' is especially funny as it chronicles the creation of the newspaper...by accident...there are mini series within and if you don't like the first two move on to the others...I have friends who dislike Rincewind immensely but love DEATH and Mort and Granny Weatherwax, Vimes, Carrot, Gaspode...oh dear I got 'started' again didn't I...hmmm it's not too obsessive yet so I shall stop typing...!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/20/11 04:06 PM
Some OCD is OK especially when it concerns reading.
Will have to check this guy out. I presume Amazon.....Unles
you have a better location.
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/20/11 07:21 PM
yeah go onto fantasticfiction to get the order of them...I always use Waterstones.com...but Amazon is just as good (I have a W points card on which I rack up ridiculous amounts of money) If you want to start the whole series go for the colour of magic (also the first of the Rincewind mini series)and go in total order, or if you want to go for the first in the major mini series also get wyrd sisters the first of the witches mini series, Mort the first of the DEATH mini series and guards! guards! the fist of the city watch series...any order really but it makes more sense if you start at the beginning of the whole series or at one of the internal series...his website is good too pratchett webby
Posted By: bexter Re: mini one 'til wofa's - 01/20/11 07:34 PM
p.s. clue for last book...first link...three down on the left...or alternatively graffiti...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc You don't mean... - 01/21/11 03:22 AM

I give up

Unless you made a pact with the Devil I'll have to holler "Uncle."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: You don't mean... - 01/21/11 03:56 AM
Me too...... UNCLE
Posted By: bexter Re: You don't mean... - 01/21/11 09:28 AM
well...there was no pact with googer...it was Eric - from the title Faust eric... normally it is listed as eric but wofa had the faust bit too... laugh
Posted By: Candy Re: You don't mean... - 01/21/11 10:37 AM
Oh...you said the first link....silly me went to the last link.

But I found it grin when I went back... then I read on at the other posts and whistle you said it Bex.

Oh well.....it was still fun looking. Sometimes its better not to find them too quickly. I was thinking Discworld..so I was on right track with TP novels...just didn't expose the right one.

Good game.
eric
Posted By: bexter Re: You don't mean... - 01/21/11 01:28 PM
Ah...well I can try to do another mini one full of TP references if you wish...unless wofa is any closer to completing his (extremely good) Onomograph (? what are they called?)...
(It was Faust who made a pact with the Devil. And you did hide him as Uncle Eric...)

...but if you have one in the meantime, go ahead!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc First Installment - 01/25/11 02:55 AM
There are plenty of pianists in Tasmania, but I'm looking especially for one who will play the complete Mikrokosmos in Hobart. OK?
Posted By: wofahulicodoc an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/25/11 03:56 AM
As you saw, my classical music tour took me all around the world, starting Down Under. ("There are plenty of pianists in Tasmania, but I'm looking especially for one who will play the complete Mikrokosmos in Hobart. OK?")

Across in Italy, the William Tell Overture is very popular. The Red Priest revival didn’t surprise anyone; The Seasons has been a favorite forever. And Aida is liked over distances that would surprise you. In Egypt, I heard the B Minor Mass but it took climbing what felt like a million steps to get to a performance in Tutankhamen’s tomb. Aching legs? And how!

Next on the program was the Alto Rhapsody. I’ll go out on a limb: Rah! Ms. Maureen Forrester has never sounded better in her entire life!

Dining was a mixed bag - cheese and fruit, a Loaf of Bread, a Jug of WIne, and all that. I never liked any kind of pear except Bosc. Human nature being what it is, I probably never will. I am sure that if they had paid him by the Euro, Bertholt Brecht might have never written the libretto of the Threepenny Opera. (The music was actually written by Christopher Marlowe -- I’ll bet you didn’t know that!)

My kids can’t stand good music, unfortunately. They went postal listening to the Vaughan Williams Fantasy on a Theme by that medieval Englishman.

Always wanted to see Appalachian Spring danced as flamenco. Plan: do it!

. . . . .

Eleven composers with ten surnames are playing here. Two have the same last name, so their first names are given as well.

Posted By: Candy Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/25/11 11:14 AM
Good job Wofa...I'll have a go tomorrow when I more sober rested crazy
Posted By: bexter Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/25/11 12:28 PM
Haha! I have a few...

Ho bart. OK?

Ac ross in I taly

o ver di stances

re vival di dn’t

tom b. Ach ing

lim b: Rah ! Ms.

Bo sc. Human

Marlo we -- I’ll

pos tal lis tening

medie val En glishman

flamen co. Plan: d o

I'm not sure if they are the right ones...I couldn't find the two first names unless Eu ro, Bert holt is one... laugh
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/25/11 01:57 PM
Well done! I have to invoke the Infinite Number of Monkeys theorem again - I hadn't heard of Valen before.

You did find "Schumann, Robert." That's the surname with two representatives, and there's still the other one to identify. Apologies that I couldn't clue either one of them with a "signature" work. Traumerei didn't seem appropriate and I don't know anything the other guy wrote, other than a symphony or three! *

* (Eight symphonies, actually, "numbered three through ten," he liked to say.)

Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/25/11 04:19 PM
WOW, bex. way to go.

Valen: I know a man with that name. And there was at least
one Roman Emperor with that name, but I think it had
an S on the end of it.

http://www.roman-emperors.org/
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/26/11 01:38 AM
That would be William Schuman, with one n, so I got confused. Not exactly the same name, but under the circumstances, what the heck? Nice work constructing this.

Peter
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/27/11 01:40 AM
P.S. Did you see what the Queen of the Night brought from Oz? Artificial flowers!

Bex, I think it's back to you, if you want it.

And welcome to the thread, T.R.!
Posted By: bexter Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/27/11 09:10 AM
oh dear...I shall attempt to create one this morning...hmmm where to start...
Posted By: bexter Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/27/11 09:57 AM
In the following (rather lengthy sorry!) passage there are eight (8) novels and two (2) plays from all genres hidden in various ways...

The silent man stole quickly into the mansion, burglary was his speciality and he was being well paid for this felony. Climbing through the window he came upon his inside man, ‘inside woman’ he corrected himself; although disliked for her vanity, fair Victoria had much more desperate flaws, foremost among them was a great desire for wealth, gained by any means. A brief whispered plan was followed by Victoria’s gasp as the true invisible nature of the man was put forth as he slipped from shadow to shadow in the house in search of his goal. Unfortunately, the gasp had awoken a manservant who sprung upon them on the stair,
‘Carpe Jugulum!’ Victoria exclaimed in panic,
‘No it’s Carpe Diem you fool!’ the manservant cried, pleased at his discovery of Victoria stealing up the stair at one o’clock in the morning. But her demand had been heard by the thief and the manservant gurgled suddenly before dropping dead and rolling down the stairs, leaving a bright trail of blood.
Shortly after they came upon the room of the man who would consider himself to be king of his breached castle. The man swept through the room, searching for his prize before Victoria strode over to the bed and saw the document beneath the pillow of the sleeping man. Another death later they were safely outside the mansion, and the silent man charged Victoria with creating a valid reason for the two dead men in the house,
‘Faux stories are not my forte’ she whined, but was silenced with a sharp look from the well paid criminal before he disappeared from sight once more.
In the morning two officers of the law appeared at the crime scene after being alerted by a beautiful young woman in hysterics. Said one to the other upon seeing the first deceased body,
‘This is a crime and deserves punishment’
‘Indeed it is and yes it does,’ replied the other, ‘this is indeed a bleak house’ he spoke upon seeing the master of the house dead in his bed. They searched for ‘clues’ and found a trail in the garden, which when followed, led to the desert to the east of the great city,
‘He has no hope of surviving if he crossed that large sand dune’
‘Indeed’ replied the other.
Over lunch they continued their investigation,
‘At least with ham, letter spaghetti never engenders OCD alphabetising, because you see, there is no spaghetti’
‘Indeed’
Victoria later walked over the sand to find the murdering thief, who heard her coming and so surprised her before her timely death with the words,
‘Be still O wulf’ and withdrawing his dagger from her side, strode off into the twilight, leaving the paper with the dead woman.

Sory it's so long, I got a wee bitty carried away with the story!
Happy Hunting
Posted By: Candy Re: an Onnicular Schwann Catalog - 01/27/11 10:56 AM
Goody...I have one or two...but will have to read through it again later, Saturday maybe, Time to go now

Good story Bex smile
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/27/11 11:53 AM
The silent man stole quickly into the mansion, burglary was his speciality and he was being well paid for this felony. Climbing through the window he came upon his inside man, ‘inside woman’ he corrected himself; although disliked for her vanity, fair Victoria had much more desperate flaws, foremost among them was a great desire for wealth, gained by any means. A brief whispered plan was followed by Victoria’s gasp as the true invisible nature of the man was put forth as he slipped from shadow to shadow in the house in search of his goal. Unfortunately, the gasp had awoken a manservant who sprung upon them on the stair,
Carpe Jugulum!’ Victoria exclaimed in panic,
‘No it’s Carpe Diem you fool!’ the manservant cried, pleased at his discovery of Victoria stealing up the stair at one o’clock in the morning. But her demand had been heard by the thief and the manservant gurgled suddenly before dropping dead and rolling down the stairs, leaving a bright trail of blood.
Shortly after they came upon the room of the man who would consider himself to be king of his breached castle. The man swept through the room, searching for his prize before Victoria strode over to the bed and saw the document beneath the pillow of the sleeping man. Another death later they were safely outside the mansion, and the silent man charged Victoria with creating a valid reason for the two dead men in the house,
Faux stories are not my forte’ she whined, but was silenced with a sharp look from the well paid criminal before he disappeared from sight once more.
In the morning two officers of the law appeared at the crime scene after being alerted by a beautiful young woman in hysterics. Said one to the other upon seeing the first deceased body,
‘This is a crime and deserves punishment
‘Indeed it is and yes it does,’ replied the other, ‘this is indeed a bleak house’ he spoke upon seeing the master of the house dead in his bed. They searched for ‘clues’ and found a trail in the garden, which when followed, led to the desert to the east of the great city,
‘He has no hope of surviving if he crossed that large sand dune
‘Indeed’ replied the other.
Over lunch they continued their investigation,
‘At least with ham, letter spaghetti never engenders OCD alphabetising, because you see, there is no spaghetti’
‘Indeed’
Victoria later walked over the sand to find the murdering thief, who heard her coming and so surprised her before her timely death with the words,
Be still O wulf’ and withdrawing his dagger from her side, strode off into the twilight, leaving the paper with the dead woman.

Thackeray
HGWells - might be an Infinite Monkey
Dostoyevsky
Goethe (and Gounod, and others - Oh My!)
Dickens
Herbert
Shakespeare
A. N. Mous
Meyer

You did indeed span many genres! And I suspect that if you searched, you'd find that somebody once wrote a book called The Silent Man, and Fool, and Victoria, and The Sleeping Man, and Timely Death, and maybe even Dagger in her Side,,,

1/28/2011 14:57 EST Edit: back-filled for completeness - found by Candy. Good eyes, indeed.
Posted By: bexter Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/27/11 12:23 PM
Ahah! The only monkey there was twilight...accidental! But the others are correct...hmm Faust seemed to give you no problem frown oh well have fun finding the other two!

aside: there is a lot of story for so few books!
Posted By: Candy Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/27/11 12:53 PM
We know about you and Faust, Bex.

I've another

The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling

"Shortly after they came upon the room of the man who would consider himself to be king of his breached castle"
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/27/11 04:25 PM
You folks are too good. Both of the last two have been
all figured out, before I even get up in the AM.
Suppose I'd better get up earlier.
Posted By: bexter Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/27/11 05:13 PM
Ah but there is still a modern book to get...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/27/11 05:18 PM
Well, then I suppose I'll have a go.
Posted By: Candy Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/28/11 08:57 AM
Sorry Luke......

I've stumbled upon it by accident.....didn't know these words so went to interrupter....and guess what!

Geronimooooooo!

Carpe Jugulum , which in Latatian, means "seize the throat" is a comic fantasy novel by, you guessed it... Terry Pratchett laugh
Posted By: bexter Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/28/11 09:09 AM
Well done Candy for getting the last two! It wouldn't be complete without one of his novels! That means it's you or wofa to do the next one?
Posted By: Candy Re: Here's a bunch, but not all - 01/28/11 09:50 AM
Its definitely the Wofa's prerogative....he was the fasted and did the most work.

Just thought I'd let you-all know that I heard back from beck123. He's heavily into a project, and apparently will continue to be for some time, but he did say he'd be back here. I look forward to his return!
That's great. I was missing him. We were on another thread
together and I introduced him to this one.
I emailed him too, but no response, so I'm glad you got one.

And I miss his limericks.
Yes....bring back the limericks...I was learning how to write them.

Seriously...it will be good to have Beck back.
I sent him another email. He responded: doing fine, very busy.
Will be back.
smile I was just thinking, a minute ago: though I have occasionally called Bexter Bexie, I don't think I'll try it with beck.
If the picture he was using as his avatar is really him, then
I don't think I'd do that either.
Call him 3?
As usual, you've lost me. Call him 3? Beck123. Oh, I see, I
think.
© Wordsmith.org