Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams washing the first pig of the summer - 06/25/07 11:21 PM
I hope this word is obscure enough for all the old hands, pooh-bahs, veterans and strangers out there. (I've already forgotten its definition myself.) "Dariole" is your word. Please send your fake definitions to me via PM within seven days, preferably with the word in question in the subject line.
Posted By: Faldage Re: washing the first pig of the summer - 06/25/07 11:44 PM
Works for me.
Posted By: olly Re: washing the first pig of the summer - 06/26/07 12:20 AM
Lovely. Count me in.
Posted By: hogmaster Re: washing the first pig of the summer - 06/26/07 02:54 AM
I've done my bit to promote this.
Posted By: themilum Re: washing the first pig of the summer - 06/26/07 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: hogmaster
I've done my bit to promote this.

Likewise, I'm sure,Hogmaster.

We can only hope that the subscribers to Worthless Word are not tricksters who try to doubletalk thier way into a cheap win.

Personally I don't care. I know the word. I used it just this morning in conversation with a representive from Tyson Chickens. However (and this is a big However) I never try to capitalize by using cheap tricks, and I never capitalize the word "dariole" when I use it in casual conversation.

Howaboutit, Hogmaster Alex Williams, did you err when you capitalized the Hogwash word "Dariole" or was it just a cheap trick?
Posted By: Faldage Re: washing the first pig of the summer - 06/26/07 10:36 AM
Thank you so much, Milo. I'm so glad we have your expert usage advice to guide us. I hadn't, and I'm sure many others here hadn't realized that capitalizing the first word in a sentence was a cheap trick. You should write a style manual. You'd blow Eats, Roots and Leaves sales out of the water.
Posted By: Alex Williams hawgwarsh - 06/26/07 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: themilum
Howaboutit, Hogmaster Alex Williams, did you err when you capitalized the Hogwash word "Dariole" or was it just a cheap trick?

Did someone say cheap trick? I'm horrified at the thought. In color and in black and white, the first word of a sentence should be capitalized, as your hogword was in my previous post. I cannot be responsible for any ambiguity that this may create on the nature of our word.

I know what you're thinking. Is it a proper noun or a common noun? (Is it a noun at all?) Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as it came from the OED, the most powerful dictionary in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hawgwarsh - 06/26/07 02:37 PM
and, while we're busy castigating themilum, leave us not forget that hogmaster® itself is (by definition) an Improper Noun and should NEVER, EVER be capitalized. even at the front.

-joe (no Balderdash!) friday

p.s. - I'm thinking theme week here.
Posted By: Jackie Re: hawgwarsh - 06/26/07 02:55 PM
hogmasteR?
Posted By: hogmaster Re: hawgwarsh - 06/26/07 03:02 PM
you rang?!
Posted By: Aramis Re: hawgwarsh - 06/26/07 08:03 PM
Once again, this string seems to have taken a sudden lurch in the wrong direction.

Funny movie scene, AW.
Posted By: Jackie Re: hawgwarsh - 06/27/07 04:13 PM
you rang?! Naw--I just wondered, since you didn't want to be capitalized even at the front, what you'd think of being capitalized at the back.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: hawgwarsh - 06/27/07 05:05 PM
Treading on some dangerous ground there, Jackie.
Posted By: Jackie Re: hawgwarsh - 06/28/07 01:46 AM
Hee hee hee--don't I know it! But hey--I could have used a different word in place of back...
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: hawgwarsh - 06/28/07 01:51 AM
You'd have to have your head up your ass to capitalize the rear. Such a wound must be caudalized.
Posted By: themilum Re: hawgwarsh - 06/29/07 12:42 PM
Dear hogmaster with the little h,

Thanks for explaining that you capitalized "dariole" because of the custom of capitalizing words that begin sentences.
Your kind admission scratches Dariole, Texas from my list but I still have two different "darioles" to puzzle with...

(1) an object e.g. such as a timed feed dispencer for chickens but different.
and
(2)a quality e.g. like "lust" but not as intent.

Below is for hogmaster eyes only
If you are not the hogmaster do not read below the dotted line.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Alex: if your word is a "quality" then don't answer this post.
But if the hogwash word is an "object" answer this post (no matter what you write)and I will know that the word represents an object...pretty neat, huh?
Posted By: Alex Williams btw the pig's name is Harry - 06/29/07 02:26 PM
Honestly, I am not sure. My memory is fading and I keep having to look up the word over and over. I keep getting its definition mixed up with another dirty piggie I had considered. One of them is a high-quality object, and the other is a highly objectionable quality. As for Dariole, Texas, it is certainly not ruled out, but it is not very sporting of you to reveal the correct answer like that before the voting has even begun.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: btw the pig's name is Harry - 06/29/07 04:02 PM
Posted By: Alex Williams LAST CALL FOR DARIOLE - 07/02/07 01:02 PM
Anyone got a last-minute definition for me? I dare ye all to send in one.
Posted By: Aramis Awkward Secrecy - 07/02/07 06:58 PM
Did you get...? The one with the...?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Awkward Secrecy - 07/02/07 07:10 PM
The definition you sent in about the elbow hinge on medieval French suits of armor? Yeah, I go that one. I think that will really fool 'em.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Awkward Secrecy - 07/02/07 07:54 PM
Good. Don't forget the etymology about Viscount Da Riolé, and keep it quiet.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Awkward Secrecy - 07/03/07 12:09 AM
LAST CALL!
© Wordsmith.org