Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Reifying the semiotics of a deity - 01/08/07 10:45 PM
I recently ran into the words "reify" and "semiotics" in close proximity to each other. These have always been favorite words of mine in that they look like they are composed of nothing but affixes. The word "deity" popped up in the same vicinity and it occurred to me that it looks like it is nothing but affixes, too. Any more words like this that anyone can think of?
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Reifying the semiotics of a deity - 01/09/07 03:00 AM
reed

I'm wondering how to de-ity something, and whether it isn't just better to keep the ities.
Posted By: of troy Re: Reifying the semiotics of a deity - 01/09/07 03:09 AM
only on ly
preen
tried (three times past!)

--there are lots once you think about them!
Posted By: Alex Williams free the bound morphemes! - 01/12/07 12:55 PM
Ionian
dialog
diadem
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: free the bound morphemes! - 01/15/07 10:10 PM
onion
union
Posted By: wofahulicodoc not-quite-murder vs. loud amused males - 01/16/07 03:42 PM
The identical appearances of the chemistry term "unionized" (not separated into charged particles)
and the socio-political status of labor when "unionized" (members of the AFL-CIO, for example)
has always tickled me.
Posted By: Zed Re: not-quite-murder vs. loud amused males - 01/17/07 12:22 AM
Unionized particles only get charged if they strike illegally.
Posted By: Jackie Re: not-quite-murder vs. loud amused males - 01/17/07 02:41 PM
Zed! ROFL!!

EDIT: okay--exactly why, please, wofa, did I use this subject title? After a whole, oh, fifteen seconds of thought, all I can come up with is battery and donkeys...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc not-quite-murder vs. loud amused males - 01/18/07 02:20 AM
...I picked it because another pair of words spelled the same but with two different pronunciations is MANSLAUGHTER i.e. "man-slaughter" and "man's laughter")...
Posted By: themilum Re: not-quite-murder vs. loud amused males - 01/18/07 08:11 AM
MANSLAUGHTER!

How perfectly ironic.

Why has the world conspired to keep this little private word joke from me? It's not as if I haven't paid my dues.
Hell's bells, man, I'm in the Union!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: the Union - 01/18/07 12:30 PM
Quote:

MANSLAUGHTER!

How perfectly ironic.

Why has the world conspired to keep this little private word joke from me? It's not as if I haven't paid my dues.
Hell's bells, man, I'm in the Union!

The sad result of losing the War of Northern Aggression.
© Wordsmith.org