Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve A Mysterious Message - 11/04/05 08:54 PM
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg.The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Posted By: musick Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/04/05 10:42 PM
This explains how people can read my sloppy handwriting.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/04/05 11:40 PM
I blogged about this meme and its origins. As a result, I got slash-dotted and ended up in Snopes.

[Addendum: I seem to be reliving the past in ever-tightening circles of forgetfulness, or What Eta Said.]
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/04/05 11:41 PM

guess it was time for this years'....
Posted By: tsuwm Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/05/05 12:01 AM
would anybody mind if I yell YART! when this gets posted in 2006?!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/05/05 12:09 AM
I wouldn't mind, t.

zmjheemed, actually, it was kind a fun to re-read all that old stuff.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/05/05 01:02 AM
Well, how about that!?

Alas, Anglicans are nothin' if not into tradition.
Posted By: Marianna Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/05/05 10:03 AM
I doubt this can be claimed universally for "the human mind", though. At uni we translated this text quite freely into Spanish, rescrambled the letters except for the first and last in every word, and gave it to some people (students and colleagues) to read. While most of the text was easy, many of them had problems getting the longer words, especially those which were compounds and derivates. Those were probably not being read as "chunks".

Also, I cannot imagine how a German reader would cope with scrambled "train-car constructions"...
Posted By: musick Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/05/05 03:21 PM
would anybody mind if I yell YART! when this gets posted in 2006?!

Why would you wait *that long...
Posted By: matashi Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/09/05 04:58 AM
That's ircndebliy cool.
Posted By: Myridon Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/09/05 05:38 PM
This passage is intentionally misleading and I believe more or less a hoax and not the result of any study.
For one thing, the "randomness" of the letters is certainly less than random. Letter pairs have been preserved, gh, th, and even tt in letter which is only separated on the third occurance of the word - ltteers, ltteer, lteter. If they had left a blank for the third occurence, you would have known the word was letter.
Usually when I have seen this before it is accompanied by an explanatory note so that you already have "Cambridge University", "reading", etc. in your "context buffer". Imagine trying this with a list of spelling words, or set in an unfamiliar or nonsensical context and throw in a few uncommon or uncommonly long words, and you'll be lost.
Do you hvae any srapes, srpaes, or spareas?
Posted By: Faldage Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/10/05 02:25 AM
This little bit of internet wowee apparently inspired a real study. One thing they discovered is that you can't take the misplaced letters too far from their original positions. Maybe if I get some time I'll try to find the spinoff study, or maybe someone else will find it. I vaguely remember either snopes or one of the language bloggers uncovering it.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/10/05 03:34 AM
This exercise is, on a micro level, comparable to cloze procedure, on a macro level. In a cloze test, every n-th word is deleted from a passage and a testee is required to guess and supply the correct missing word. The method is useful to determine the relative "readbility" of a text, much like the old Flesch Readbility Index of many moons ago.
Posted By: Faldage Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/10/05 10:47 AM
Quote:

This exercise is, on a micro level, comparable to cloze procedure, on a macro level. In a cloze test, every n-th word is deleted from a passage and a testee is required to guess and supply the correct missing word. The method is useful to determine the relative "readbility" of a text, much like the old Flesch Readbility Index of many moons ago.

I think that's the fir-st time I've ever seen nth hyphenated.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/10/05 01:23 PM
I think that's the fir-st time I've ever seen nth hyphenated.

In about a hundred years, when all of the best manuals of style recommend/require that "n-th" be hyphenated, some of them will correctly cite to this usage on this page as evidence of why it ought be so, he said humbly.
Posted By: Jackie Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/10/05 02:04 PM
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/10/05 02:34 PM
There were two studies that were pretty much directly responsible for this web meme: (1) K. Saberi and D R Perrott. 1999 Cognitive restoration of reversed speech. Nature 398: 760; (2) Graham Rawlinson. 1976. The significance of letter position in word recognition. (A PhD dissertation at the University of Nottingham.) Mr Rawlinson also wrote a letter to the editors of the New Scientist that had an earlier version of the jumbled letter text (quoted on my blog and linked in my earlier posting). That text made it to the internet first, followed a couple of months later by the text quoted at the beginning of this thread.

Back when I was keeping track of this, there were German, Portuguese, and other versions of the text (see Language Hat), plus many scripts (mainly written in Perl) to jumble texts. It's interesting that the Saberi and Perrott study is really about reversing the middle sections of words acoustically (tape splicing / digital editing), which reminded Mr Rawlinson of his dissertation all those years ago. (I have not seen a copy of that unpublished dissertation.) His work looked at jumbling letters in words.
Posted By: Jackie Re: A Mysterious Message - 11/11/05 03:09 PM
Here's a summary by the author, zmjezhd:
Summary
© Wordsmith.org