Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sjmaxq Funda (struck) - let the games commence - 10/16/05 06:22 PM
FUNDA
    (A) A cold, dry wind from the north in Western Australia. It typically marks the beginning of the wet season.

(B) (noun) The base of brick or stone under a furnace or oven.

(C) the reserves of the Vatican bank

(D) Jocular word for the buttocks, which enjoyed a brief vogue in the 1920s.

(E) a petty cash slush fund to cover expenses for company picnics and holiday celebrations

(F) Danish word for permafrost.

(G) A form of checkers played at mealtime in the area of northern Norway known as Lapland. The playing pieces are cut squares of food (usually cheese) and as jumps are made the pieces are eaten. When Kings are crowned the opposing player chooses which food to use.

(H) Traditional broth used to break the daily Ramadan fast in the Islam faith

(I) A bedroll/blanket used by the Tuareg, a nomadic tribe of central Sahara and western Sahel of northwest Africa.

(J) Basic concept, central philosophy, core principle.

(K) the area of wetlands sediment between the surface detritus and the water table.

(L) a creature on the lower end of the food chain (archaic)

Thanks to the players:

wofa, Bingley , Faldage, Father Steve, Asp, tsuwm, BelM, consuelo, Ted, musick, WO’N.
the word is funda

I pick K
Posted By: musick Re: Funda (struck) - let the games commence - 10/16/05 07:05 PM
B
Hats off to the warped-minded creator of G. And, of course, A didn't fool moi. These things said, I cast my vote for the pithy yet elegant F .
Posted By: Faldage Re: Funda (struck) - let the games commence - 10/16/05 07:28 PM
I like B and K but they've each already gotten a vote and I want to spread the wealth, so I'll go with D.
H -- I think I read it in a Salman Rushdie novel.
I've never read a Rushdie novel because well, just because, so I've no idea whether funda appears therein, but before I got to the votes already cast I had said to myself, "What the H."
Posted By: wofahulicodoc FUNDAmentally unsound - 10/16/05 11:01 PM
What a lush set of choices! Great ones, gang.

I'm going arbitrarily to throw out HAGLIDE and from the rest blindly choose K, even though some body else already did. Why? I don't know, he's on third, and I don't...
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: FUNDAmentally Jane - 10/16/05 11:22 PM
I just like the word "detritus"...
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: FUNDAmentally FUN - 10/17/05 12:28 AM
I'm voting for G because it gave me a good chuckle and brightened up my day! (t'anks...I needed dat )
Posted By: consuelo Re: FUNDAmentally mental case - 10/17/05 08:38 AM
I , since it's the only one that proximates the meaning of funda in Spanish.
Posted By: Bingley Re: FUNDAmentally mental case - 10/19/05 03:45 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to have rule out H, because I've certainly never heard of it here. Kolak is a favourite food for buka puasa. I'm tempted by C, but I'll go with my inner egomaniac and choose I .
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: FUNDAmentally mental case - 10/19/05 07:16 AM
Thanks, Bingley. Now that all the players have voted, I'll compile the results for tomorrow morning (NZT), so if anybody else wants to have a crack at it, get in quick.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: FUNDAmentally mental case - 10/19/05 07:45 AM
Quote:

Thanks, Bingley. Now that all the players have voted, I'll compile the results for tomorrow morning (NZT), so if anybody else wants to have a crack at it, get in quick.

Whoops! Not quite everyone. Sincere apologies to the supreme universal wordmaster
Posted By: tsuwm Re: FUNDAmentally mental case - 10/19/05 08:30 AM
the alpha and omega entries appear to both be voteless. it's A pity that I have no better criteria on which to choose.
© Wordsmith.org