Wordsmith.org
Posted By: shalini_ch meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 06:29 AM
hi could anyone tell me the origin of the word 'OAF' traditional usage has it the the word means a dimwit or stupid person, does it also mean anything else?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 10:22 AM
etymonline.com gives:

oaf
1610 (implied in oafish), also auf (1621), "a changeling; a foolish child left by the fairies" [Johnson], from a Scand. source, cf. Norw. alfr "silly person," in O.N., "elf" (see elf). Hence, "a misbegotten, deformed idiot." Until recently, some dictionaries still gave the plural as oaves.

I have never heard it used any other way, though it's likely an acronym for something!

welcome, shalini!

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 11:01 AM
I agree with etaoin that an acronym is a real possibility. Especially when spelled entirely in uppercase letters. Here are some links to investigate:
http://snipurl.com/hfex-mq42

Posted By: Father Steve Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 01:07 PM
I have heard the expression "big dumb oaf" which, it seems, is redundant.

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 02:12 PM
"big dumb oaf"

Yes, there is a subtle difference between tautology, redundancy, and augmentation.

Posted By: maverick Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 03:55 PM
> is redundant

Only if you take the meaning of dumb to be merely synonymous with stupid (which is only its prime sense in American versions of English), Father Steve - but if you allow for its alternate and much older meanings of 'speechless' it is indeed a meaningful augmentation.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/dumb?view=uk

edit: add link
Posted By: inselpeter Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 07:56 PM
While I doubt there is any connection, it always seemed apt to me that "oaf" means "chicken" (or) "fowl" in Hebrew.

Posted By: maverick Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 08:09 PM
so which came first already, the chicken or the oeuf?

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 08:23 PM
And, œuf (actually øf) is what a Danish pig says. Oink and out.

And, who'd've thunk that oaf, elf, and albino were all related? Along with albedo, albumen, and album.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/04/05 09:26 PM
Re: >redundancy.

As flattered as I am to be thought of as one and the same with our Moorish padre, it really ought to have been his post you replied to, not mine, boyo.

Posted By: shalini_ch Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 09:44 AM
Hi, the reason why I put up this post was because I have school in my home-town which is curiously named "the Oaf Public School". Now who would name a school to state what he probably means is the exact antithesis of the name. Any guesses on this?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 10:55 AM
perhaps it's someone's name?

Posted By: Faldage Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 11:43 AM
someone's name

It doesn't appear to be the most common of names but:

http://www.fortunecity.com/millennium/firemansam/1349/fam02093.htm

Posted By: Jackie Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 02:04 PM
Well--your mention of it being a school, plus the all caps in your opening post, lead me to think it is most likely an acronym; for what, though, I don't know. The Original Aryan Fathers, or something...(highly unlikely!)

Is it by any chance in or near Bhopal? The only hint I've found so far is here, about 7/8ths. of the way down, in the paragraph that starts with "The departure of employees directly involved with the accident..."
http://www.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/uu21le/uu21le0c.htm
It mentions "OAF's takeover bid", but nowhere did I see an explanation of what OAF is or was.

I did find a mention of the word oaf in one of the Google listings, used in a way I've never seen it:
"These school oaf- icials must have lower IQs than their shoe sizes. ..."

Posted By: maverick Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 03:07 PM
> not mine, boyo

yeah, I wuz aware as I clicked that I'd pinged the message above, but I thought "no one but max and the Staatspolizei will ever know..." ;)

[flat earth forever!]

Posted By: Jackie Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 04:18 PM
[flat earth forever!] Boy, do I ever agree; why anyone would want to have to wait for the screen to change to read the next post is beyond me. [impatience forever e]

Posted By: Faldage Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/05/05 08:47 PM
why anyone would want to have to wait for the screen to change

If you're on dial-up, for sure. There's advantages to being a threadnodist if you have a fast connection.

Posted By: wsieber Re: meaning of 'OAF' - 09/07/05 05:28 AM
"OAF's takeover bid": OAF is actually a typo in the quoted article. In the preceding paragraphs it is explained that the takeover bid was by a company named GAF (which was well known at the time).

© Wordsmith.org