Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 10:22 AM
I was wondering whether you guys define both '.....' and '-----' as dotted lines. The latter is often shown in lower case, but I'm thinking of it more in terms of layout programs rather than typography anyway. I've have also seen 'dashed' for the second, though I'm not sure if that's a US usage or not. It makes sense to me but sounds a little weird. I think 'broken line' it pretty common too. Any comments?

Posted By: Faldage Re: dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 10:24 AM
Dashed works for me. We see both in charts and diagrams of all sorts.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 12:16 PM
I like "dashed", too. After all, that's what it is. Makes a difference in origami, too, between mountain and valley folds.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 12:26 PM
dotted and dashed are two separate border styles in css coding.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 01:18 PM
> dotted and dashed are two separate border styles in css coding.

Right. Thing is in the Springer Computing Dictionary it gives 'dotted' for, well, 'dashed' lines. This is why I guessed that 'dashed' maybe USn and UK English uses 'dotted' for both. Dictionary.com gives 'dashed' as a synonym of dotted:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dashed

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 01:26 PM
ah.

I'm wondering if perhaps the specificity (in usage, anyway) of the terms hasn't changed lately because of the whole "dot" thing.

Posted By: Marianna Re: dashed and dotted lines - 07/25/05 02:28 PM
Living in the UK, I don't think I ever heard "dashed line". Forms would require you to "Sign on the dotted line" and while most often these were indeed composed of dots, I have occasionally seen the one that was made out of dashes and still in the "dotted line" category, though...

© Wordsmith.org