Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth Inventorying - 06/21/05 09:41 AM
It gets a fairly modest 160,000 on Google - I've never really used it, but it does have it's purpose. Is it in the clear in all'a'ya'll's eyes? I mean, it ain't pretty. It seems to be used in computing circles more than say logistics (no surprise I guess), which leads me to suspect it's pretty new. Anyone want to suggest an alternative that's not 'inventorise/inventorize' or inventorisation/inventorization even? ... all of which get a few hits.

Another question - what is the word for this kind of proliferation of word types around a root? I find it kind of interesting.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Inventorying - 06/21/05 10:04 AM
OED runs this back to the 17th century. Onliest one word definition it gives is catalog which is a whole nother word and just wouldn't serve in this neo-post-modern age.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Inventorying - 06/21/05 12:46 PM
The people who go through the retail store counting how many of each item remains on the shelves describe what they are doing as "inventorying." In a more specialized context, members of Alcoholics Anonymous, who are required to conduct "a moral inventory" of themselves, refer to the process as "inventorying." It ain't elegant and it ain't pretty, but it has a definite claim on wordness.

Posted By: Jackie Re: all'a'ya'll's - 06/21/05 01:33 PM
Excellent use of apostrophes, by!

Posted By: dxb Re: Inventorying - 06/21/05 02:54 PM
Isn't it the same as 'stocktaking'?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Inventorying - 06/21/05 06:56 PM
Isn't it the same as 'stocktaking'?

Many states levy a tax on inventory -- and call the basis for the tax "inventory" -- thus the tendancy, derived from the purpose of the audit of the stock on hand, to call it inventorying rather than stocktaking. I think.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Inventorying - 06/21/05 10:04 PM
> thus the tendancy, derived from the purpose of the audit of the stock on hand, to call it inventorying rather than stocktaking. I think.

Oh, okay. Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Its seems clear why then the tech world followed suit and reached for "inventorying" rather than "stocktaking" when it came to describing the collection of computer hardware specs. and software data.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: all'a'ya'll's - 06/22/05 12:41 PM
Indeed... that's almost a Googlewhack!

Posted By: Jackie Re: all'a'ya'll's - 06/22/05 01:31 PM
Fiberbabe! Wonderful to see you here, Sweetie!

Posted By: Zed Re: all'a'ya'll's - 06/22/05 04:28 PM
I assumed that it was a shorthand way of saying "taking inventory."
(no TEd not stealing inventory ;-)

Posted By: Rainmaker For Newbie... - 06/22/05 05:29 PM
Googlewhack??

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: For Newbie... - 06/22/05 05:33 PM
OK, OK, I found it! New one on me...

stonehearted schoolchild

Neat!

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: all'a'ya'll's - 06/27/05 04:01 PM
I assumed that it was a shorthand way of saying "taking inventory."
(no TEd not stealing inventory ;-)
That's what I thought, too, Zed. The shorthand for stealing inventory is "shrinkage".

© Wordsmith.org