Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Abagogo Reptatorial - 02/12/01 08:56 PM
Does anyone have a definition for this word? It was in a Thesaurus under 'Slow'.

Posted By: wwh Re: Reptatorial - 02/12/01 09:04 PM
Dear Abagogo: My dictionary give "reptant" meaning crawling, says no definition for "reptatorial". Sounds as though they could be related.wwh

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Reptatorial - 02/12/01 09:54 PM
reptant

a. creeping. reptation, n. reptatorial, reptatory, a. [dictionary of difficult words]

Posted By: Hyla Re: Reptatorial - 02/12/01 10:05 PM
Is is just coincidence that it looks like "reptile" - a class of beasts known for creeping?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Reptatorial - 02/13/01 02:22 AM
Welcome to you, Abagogo.
My husband's 1952 American College Encyclopedic Dictionary gives this after the definition of Reptilia: NL, neut. pl. of LL reptilis creeping,
der. reptare creep.

Posted By: Marty Re: Reptatorial - 02/13/01 02:49 AM
Is it just coincidence that it looks like "reptile" - a class of beasts known for creeping?

The critters certainly have that rep'tation, don't they?

Posted By: wsieber Re: Reptatorial - 02/15/01 08:40 AM
Taking the risk of a reputation of repetitiousness, let me add my £ 0.02 to the theme of "reptatorial", which I never heard before, but like the sound of. It could have been derived from latin repere (to creep) -> reptare along the same lines as dictatorial originated from dicere -> dictare. Dictare is a repetitious (and thus intensifying) form of dicere (to say). A reptator is thus a being with a characteristic creeping habit. This, of course, indirectly endowes it (him?) with other qualities, just like a dictator, besides dictating, inspires respect by the other features associated with this primary activity. The accessory features of a reptator could thus be summarized by the term reptatorial which immediately strikes us as more wide-ranging than the simple reptant.

On further reflection, it could be speculated that there are no dictators without their reptators.

Posted By: NicholasW Re: Reptatorial - 02/15/01 11:30 AM
-tor is the Latin agent suffix. Verb rept-a-re 'to creep (along)' > rept-a-tor 'one which creeps'.

There is another Latin root serp- 'to creep', Greek herp-, which we encounter in the present participle serp-ens, serp-ent- 'creeping', and herpetology, the study of reptiles.

I don't know whether there's any etymological connexion between rep- and serp- and creep. (I must look it up for my own edification.) There's no obvious sound-law connecting them.

I'd never heard of reptatorial. The construction of an adjective on an agent like that also occurs in pictor-ial 'of or pertaining to a painter' and my favourite grallatorial 'of or pertaining to a stiltwalker (sc. a wading bird)'.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Reptatorial - 02/15/01 11:40 AM
It could have been derived from latin repere (to creep) -> reptare along the same lines as dictatorial originated from dicere -> dictare.

Whoa--sounds like excellent logic to me. Thank you.

Hi, Nicholas!

© Wordsmith.org