Wordsmith.org
Posted By: THE PROPHETOR! Per se? - 09/17/04 05:35 PM
Hey guys...

First of all I would just like to say hello to you all. I am currently an A-level student (from England) and I will no doubt be posting here often asking for word help.

So here is my first world:

How would you use the world 'per se'? What does it mean?

I have read the dictionary definition and I can't quite get to grips with it.

Thank you for your time...

Jason

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Per se? - 09/17/04 05:52 PM

I used to read dictionaries a lot, but my poor memory has convinced me the effort is futile. I tend to mirror the usage I percieve around me.

For this word, here are examples of how I might use it:

"Neither programmer nor their creations are, per se, logical."

"Pluto should not be considered a planet, per se, lest we should consider every bit of dust wandering about in our vicinity similarly."

"Life does not require exact reproduction, per se."

k

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Per se? - 09/17/04 06:07 PM
Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'l like it.

You might want to pop on over to information and announcement and look in the thread titled "Tips for newcomers." You'll find a lot of useful information there.

I'm not sure what an A-level student means, we don't use those categories here in Québec, Canada, but your writing seems quite good so I'm assuming it means you are in the top level of a grade. So let me turn your question around...how would you use the expression? Or what do you interpret it to mean? You may just be absolutely correct.

(Though I am learning, from being here on the Board, that there are not so many "absolutes" as "subject to interpretation" )

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Per se? - 09/17/04 07:01 PM
In law, we use the phrase "per se" to mean "in and of itself" or "intrinsically".

Posted By: Faldage Re: Per se? - 09/17/04 10:25 PM
And it's involved in the etymology of the word ampersand, which is a slightly assimilated form of the phrase "and, per se and", meaning that the character '&' is the word and in and of itself.

Reading dictionaries is an end unto itself, FF. The effort is immune to futility.

Posted By: Zed Re: Per se? - 09/18/04 12:04 AM
I would use it as a fancy way to say "exactly what you would call", but put it behind the described phrase instead of in front. As in "Zed is not a linguistic expert, per se, but she does talk a lot."

Posted By: Jomama Re: Per se? - 09/18/04 03:48 AM
Fancier but more concise.

Posted By: dxb Re: Per se? - 09/20/04 10:28 AM
Or you could say:

"Zed is not a linguistic expert, as such, but she has exceptional experience in using words."

Posted By: dxb Re: Per se? - 09/20/04 10:31 AM
Or you could say:

"Zed is not a linguistic expert, as such, but her use of words is captivating."

Posted By: amnow Re: Per se? - 09/22/04 11:52 PM
Do you find yourself looking up the same word over and over and over? It has been suggested to me: place a small dot in front of the word each time you reference it. Amazing how many rather large groups of dots accumulate over the years!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Per se? - 09/23/04 12:13 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I have trouble with a few words that have the same meaning in English and French but are spelled differently. Like envelope/enveloppe. I always have to look that one up. You'd think it would have sunk in by now.

I used to have trouble with address and adresse until I found a memory jogger for the English version. I think of an "Ad" for a "Dress." It's plain, but it works.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Per se? - 09/23/04 12:17 PM

Looking words up over and over and over.

Yes, I do it all the time. Mostly I use online dictionaries (m-w and onelook). The problem is I just can't remember things unless I use them a lot. I think condition is why I eventually took to math and programming - very little memorization, complicated things can be derived from much simpler things.

I play word games - scrabble, boggle, etc. I don't know how many times I've looked up 'cwm' and 'dite' and 'qat' - dozens for each. But I just can't seem to remember most of them. There's a large number of other words like that.

OTOH, while my functional vocabulary is probably a lot smaller than most of the people on this forum, it's still pretty large - and I actually use a lot of words - particularly when I write. But even with words I know and have known - or thought I knew - I've discovered that I was off in spelling or definition. Aside from typos and 'thinkos', for example, I spelt rapport as "repoire" once ... and a few other things. Just last week I gave my daughter in HS the wrong definition of a word when she tested me. (They like helping me study in this way.)

k

© Wordsmith.org