Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dcampi shaky - 09/12/04 03:25 AM
I had once come across an obscure word that was associated with shaky hands, such that one might spill a drink. I tried to recall that word the other night while sipping Martinis with two hands.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: shaky - 09/12/04 04:36 AM
essential tremor?

Posted By: themgmt Intoxishakes - 09/12/04 01:43 PM
I tried to recall that word the other night while sipping Martinis with two hands.

Tini-tremors? Shaken but not stirred.

Actually, I think the word you are looking for is crapulous.

Or, perhaps, "inebrium tremens".

Or:

intoxishakes.

Posted By: themgmt Re: shaky - 09/12/04 03:52 PM
I tried to recall that word the other night while sipping Martinis with two hands.

Hey, dcampi:

How about a word which describes the nervousness of someone standing next to someone in the early stages of "intoxishakes"?

Apprehensible?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: shaky - 09/12/04 10:16 PM
I don't know what the word is unless it's delerium tremens, but this reminded me of a story my father told about his father.

Papa Rem, as he was known, went to the doctor with badly shaking hands. "Doc, doc, something's wrong with my hands."

The doctor examined him and said, "I'm pretty sure I know what's causing this. Tell me, Papa Rem, do you drink a lot?"

"Gramps replied, "Well, how much is a lot, doc?"

"Oh, a man your size, I'd say a quart a day."

"Christ, doc, I spill that much!"

Posted By: tsuwm Re: shaky - 09/12/04 11:01 PM
palsy? no, that's not obscure.. athetosis??

(actually®, my first thought was delirium tremens)
Posted By: dcampi Re: shaky - 09/16/04 02:22 AM
The word that I'm recollecting is quite elegant and not a compound. It evokes the sense of ice crystals rattling on the surface of the vodka and then spilling over the rim of the glass, wasted.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: elegantly shaky - 09/16/04 04:02 AM
this makes me think of tremulous; but that's hardly obscure..

Posted By: themgmt Re: shaky - 09/17/04 11:44 AM
the sense of ice crystals rattling on the surface of the vodka and then spilling over the rim of the glass, wasted

Vivid imagery, dcampi. Definitely a word worth the hunt.

What begins as a fascinating 'shiver' can end as a terminal 'shatter', of course.

That's how I see my coinage "inebrium tremens" compared to "delirium tremens", the former the subject of collegial gaiety, the latter the subject of pity or scorn.

© Wordsmith.org