Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind thrall - 08/26/04 01:59 PM
Do many of you look at the word thrall and immediately think of the equivalent slave?

Just wondering.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: thrall - 08/26/04 06:06 PM
Nope. But I must admit I've never seen the word. I've only seen enthralled, which is "charmed."

Gin.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: thrall - 08/26/04 06:20 PM
The Shadow Thralls of Babylon 5 perhaps?

Posted By: Jenet Re: thrall - 08/26/04 06:22 PM
Yes, but that's because of the sort of stories I read. Then I think it's used other ways too: "held in thrall" figuratively.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: he's dead, Jim - 08/26/04 07:30 PM
Babylon 5

heh. I was remembering an episode of the original Star Trek series that had something to do with thralls. Kirk was one of three that had to fight to the death, or some such thing... one was a monster, and the other a beautiful woman, of course...

Posted By: Father Steve Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 12:53 AM
Yah, it was in Episode 46, during Season Two, that "The Gamesters of Triskelion" aired. In it, three disembodied brains entertained themselves by making more corporeal beings fight each other in gladatorial surroundings. The people/creatures who ran the planet on which these games occurred were called Thralls, and all were controlled by "The Providers" -- the three brains -- through choke collars around their necks which could be activated by Provider brain power ... or something like that.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 01:42 AM
that's the one! thanks, Padre.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 02:14 AM
I am imagining old original-version Trekkies sitting around the retirement home, eating Jello, dozing off in mid-sentence and talking about their favourite episodes ... and it ain't that far off.

Posted By: jheem Re: Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 11:25 AM
The Gamesters of Triskelion

The female thrall that Kirk fights and woes was the late Angelique Pettyjohn who showed up later as one of the Repo wives in Repo Man. Triskelion is a nice word, too. From Greek tri- '3' + skelos 'leg' + -ion, three-legged as opposed to tripod '3 footed'. As I remember, there was a triskelion painted on the floor that they had to fight on. (Pass the prune juice, Jasper.)

There's a GIF here:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/unit5/0503.gif

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 12:00 PM
Oh ya, and didn't, Kirk, wind, up, kissing, the, girl, (smirk)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 12:35 PM
eh? speak up, sonny.

now where'd I leave that tricorder...

Posted By: Capfka Re: Star Trek, too - 08/27/04 03:53 PM
I've always thought of "thrall" as "churl" or "bound peasant". Enthralled or in thrall, of course, mean "enslaved".

Posted By: grapho woos and woes - 08/29/04 04:17 AM
The female thrall that Kirk fights and woes

The "woos" comes before the "woes", jheem, and usually after the bands [but not always].

Posted By: jheem Re: woos and woes - 08/29/04 07:02 AM
The "woos" comes before the "woes"

My freud. Ta, padre.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: woos and woes - 08/29/04 09:48 AM
My freud.

Oh, I do like that one, jh!

My kids at school have an expression like that, but I can't think of it now. "My __________________" (It's not, of course, fault, problem, wrong....but it's very funny somehow, although not as specialized as Freud.)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: woos and woes - 08/29/04 12:58 PM
my bad?

Posted By: jheem Re: woos and woes - 08/29/04 02:12 PM
my bad?

That's the one I was referring to ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: woos and woes - 08/29/04 04:46 PM
A good bath is certainly a joy.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: woos and woes - 08/29/04 11:53 PM
"My bad"--that's it exactly, et'!!! I'll bet your kids say it at school, too, yes? It cracks me up every time I hear them say it.

But, jhemm, 'my freud' is just as good, if not better!

Thanks, et' !!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Star Trek, and before - 08/29/04 11:59 PM
Another person on AWAD sent me this take on thrall and has said I may paste it here:

"Cedric the Saxon was noble.
He had slaves (with some legal rights) called thralls.
The thralls had to wear a collar identifying their owner.
The Jester, Wamba, and herdsman, Gurth, were both thralls,
and wore collars so they could not run away without
getting caught. Evidently thralldom wasn't all bad.
Remember Gurth risked his life to get Cedric out of
captivity at hands of Front de Boeuf. "

Posted By: Faldage Re: woos and woes - 08/30/04 09:49 AM
"My bad" is definitely passé. I heard a banker use the phrase in the bank to a gray-bearded customer many months ago.

© Wordsmith.org