Wordsmith.org
Posted By: birdfeed Let's all try the hortatory subjunctive! - 07/19/04 01:41 PM
Did I use that right? It's like "fiat lux", right? I was cataloging a book with the title "der werfe den ersten Stein" and was fixing the record in the database so that "der" was not an article to be skipped over but a demonstrative pronoun ("that person should cast the first stone") when I noticed the unusual form of the verb, and then I remembered a whole group of mixed nuts that worry about stuff like that, and then I remembered how long it had been since I talked to them, and how maybe that's why I've been getting too much done at work...

Posted By: Zed Re: Let's all try the hortatory subjunctive! - 07/19/04 10:25 PM
Why do you suppose the word hortatory sounds rude to me? As tho' something got caught in your throat.
Welcome back birdfeed!

Posted By: jheem Re: Let's all try the hortatory subjunctive! - 07/19/04 10:47 PM
Why do you suppose the word hortatory sounds rude to me?

I don't know why either. Just means to exhort somebody to do something.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Let's all try the hortatory subjunctive! - 07/19/04 11:14 PM
Welcome home, beadfurd. Yeah, the hortatory subjunctive is a politer way of telling somebody what to do than is the plain ole imperative. I'm trying to figure out how it works in this example, though. Maybe it's just the common, garden variety subjunctive and no exhorting a tall. But, hey. What do I know? Parboly sommun'll come along and point out the obvious and you'll be vindicated.

Posted By: Jackie Gesundheit - 07/20/04 12:54 AM
a whole group of mixed nuts Ooh, ooh, can I be the cashew?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic You can lead a hortatory - 07/20/04 08:36 AM

... but you can't make her a Republican.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: You can lead a hortatory - 07/20/04 12:04 PM
... but you can't make her a Republican.
lol. I was thinking of somethig along the lines of "but she won't support King George."

Posted By: birdfeed Papal fiat? - 07/20/04 01:34 PM
Isn't that what he bought to ride around in after his bull died?

Posted By: Jackie Re: You can lead a hortatory - 07/20/04 02:22 PM
OH! OH! I know I oughta feel insulted, but I'm laughing too hard!

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: You can lead a hortatory - 07/20/04 03:44 PM
Let us keep hortatory remarks to ourselves in order to keep Jackie's giggles to a minimum. Thanks.

Well, I mean I can remember hearing it as "let him who is without sin cast the first stone", which sounds like the Italian Automobile Subjunctive to me.

Posted By: TEd Remington can I be the cashew? - 07/21/04 08:01 PM
Gesundheit.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Papal fiat? - 07/21/04 08:05 PM
No. Actually the Popemobile is built by Fiat. It has always been an open-air vehicle, which was never a problem until the Pope went to a few cold places, like Denver in January. His aides were rightly convinced that they needed to protect the Pope from the frigid air, so they asked Fiat to install a heating system in the royal purple vehicle.

Yep, it became known as the Purple Papal Heater.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Papal fiat? - 07/21/04 09:04 PM

Posted By: Jackie Re: can I be the cashew? - 07/22/04 12:31 PM
Gesundheit. I was wondering if anybody'd do that!

© Wordsmith.org