Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Casey-Canada nassau - 07/16/04 03:17 AM
Re:wagering. I have just learned about "a calcutta" wherein players in a competition are auctioned and the buyers collect on their wagers depending on "their" player's performance. Now, what is a "nassau"? It also seems to be some form of wagering.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: nassau - 07/16/04 07:57 AM
Nassau -- A three part bet in which separate wagers are made on the first nine, last nine and complete round.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic What game are we talking about here? - 07/16/04 11:35 AM
Poker? Golf?

Posted By: wow Re: What game are we talking about here? - 07/16/04 05:46 PM
Golf, in my experience, dear AnnaS.
The odd bit was that I couldn't choose the player to bet - and it was expensive to "buy" one of the better players.
Sorry. I should have given credit to a golf dictionary. Had I written the def I would have said front and back nines.

Posted By: Casey-Canada Re: nassau - 07/16/04 10:21 PM
Thanx Ted. My husband was right (as usual). He said it was a golf bet. In contrast, a calcutta can be in any sport. He once organized a calcutta for a martini-making competition. The judges were the big winners.

Posted By: Jackie Re: nassau - 07/16/04 11:53 PM
players in a competition are auctioned Um--does that mean that I couldn't just walk up and place a bet on Joe Blow--that I'd have to outbid the other bettors just to secure any possibility of winning? Weird.

Posted By: Casey-Canada Re: nassau - 07/17/04 02:12 AM
Calcuttas are usually under the radar. In other words, they are organised apart from "regular" betting.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: nassau - 07/17/04 02:13 AM
how is nassau pronounced?

Posted By: of troy Re: nassau - 07/17/04 02:16 AM
like the NY country club/state county its named for..

(proper pronounciation requires a nasal tone--a la Fran Dresher) NAAH saw.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: nassau - 07/17/04 03:40 AM
ah, thanks, Helen. I think I was hearing the na more like nasty, and wasn't sure of the last vowel sound.

© Wordsmith.org