Wordsmith.org
Posted By: boronia off balance? - 06/13/04 04:30 PM
I just bought myself a very nifty necklace: it's a small level on a chain. Now everyone can tell at a glance how off-balance I am. But it got me wonderin': why are things UNbalanced instead of IMbalanced? And why do we talk of IMbalance instead of UNbalance? You'd think we could use the same prefix for both! (Well, maybe if you're more level-headed, you wouldn't think so, but I do.)

Posted By: of troy Re: off balance? - 06/13/04 06:25 PM
i guess its good that its a necklace and not some sort of hair pin-- you wouldn't want people to think you didn't have your head on straight-- or that you weren't leval headed..

Posted By: shanks Re: off balance? - 06/13/04 06:49 PM
Can't think of answers, boronia. First guess was that imbalance might refer to people and unbalance to things. But it doesn't seem to hold up consistently.

Posted By: musick Re: off balance? - 06/13/04 08:06 PM
Imbalance = a comparison between entities -vs- unbalanced = a single entitie's internal struggle?

Posted By: tang Re: off balance? - 06/13/04 11:37 PM
why are things UNbalanced instead of IMbalanced?

"Imbalance" is a lack of balance while "unbalance" is the absence of balance.

You can usually correct for an "imbalance". If you become "unbalanced", you are headed for a fall.

Curious that we can mobilize troops but not unmobilize them. We have to disband them or perhaps demobilize them.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: off balance? - 06/14/04 12:21 AM
and debalance?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: off balance? - 06/14/04 12:25 AM
Curious that we can mobilize troops but not unmobilize them. We have to disband them or perhaps demobilize them.

Hence, the military slang verb "demob".

Posted By: belMarduk Re: off balance? - 06/14/04 11:34 PM
Not adding anything to the topic ... just a comment to say I LOVE your necklace. It is really original. Is the level made of metal or wood?

Posted By: wsieber Re: off balance? - 06/15/04 05:13 AM
The prefixes un- and in- (leading to im) are cognate according to the OED, but they reached the English language by different (germanic vs. latin) paths. Due to this, as it often happens, each carved out its niche. Again according to OED, imbalance was "Orig. a technical term in Ophthalmology", which then took on a more general use, my guess is because -mb- is less demanding for the tongue than -nb-.

Posted By: boronia Re: off balance? - 06/17/04 11:58 PM
thanks, belM -- the glass cylinder of the level is in a silver casing - no wood

Posted By: wow Re: level - 06/18/04 01:36 PM
I think it shows that you (like the gal in the song My Gal Sal) are always on the level!
Did you purchase it in a local spot or, by chance, in a catalogue. If a catalogue, would you share?

© Wordsmith.org