Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Popser "as all get out" - 06/07/04 12:22 PM

Yesterday, a WWII veteran gave an interview in which he said, in regard to how he felt on D-Day, "I was as emotional as all get out (or getout)." Is there a history to this expression: "as all get out"? The expression was common to me in the forties (I was about 8), used in so many ways: as happy as all get out; as tired as all get out, as beautiful as all get out, as fast or slow as all get out, etc. Of course, there are many interchangeable expressions, "emotional as hell, emotional as shit, etc., but is there anything more to "as all get out"?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: "as all get out" - 06/07/04 12:28 PM
Hello, Popser, and welcome aBoard.

Yes, I remember the expression from about that time, too - perhaps not with very common useage but not especially rare, either. It's meaning is obvious from context, of course, but I've no idea where it originated.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: "as all get out" - 06/07/04 12:35 PM
It survived well into the 60s, at least, when I was growing up. My friends and I used it all the time. But no idea as to its origin. Great question, Pops, and welcome to the Board.

Posted By: wow Re: "as all get out" - 06/09/04 02:25 PM
Welcome Popser!
Good post ... isn't it surprising how phrases we have known and used suddenly strike us as odd?
No help here but to say I heard my parents use the phrase,
- and that was eons ago - as I did and do myself.
I am very old! HA! :)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: "as all get out" - 06/10/04 04:19 AM
Mark Twain used it.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: "as all get out" - 06/10/04 08:44 AM
It strikes me that it is a euphemism for "hell" - one of very many on both sides of the pond. (c.f.the 'Hecka' thread)

© Wordsmith.org