Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu sought - 06/01/04 05:28 PM
I really dislike the use of "sought" in this headline:
U.S.: Suspect Sought to Blow Up Buildings
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TERRORISM?SITE=VTBAR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
I know that is correct usage, but since its other meaning changes the whole sense, couldn't they find something better?

Posted By: Faldage Re: sought - 06/01/04 05:34 PM
I didn't even think of the other meaning until you pointed out that there might be one. Two reasons:

A) It's a pretty rare usage in my experience

and

2) it doesn't fit standard headline grammar.

Wait a minute. The meaning I hadn't even considered until you pointed it out is probably the right one that you are objecting to. Forget what I said earlier. You're right; it's a bad headline.
Posted By: nancyk Re: sought - 06/01/04 05:38 PM
I wholeheartedly agree, eta. My mind refused to connect with the "correct" meaning, and I wondered why they would be looking for a suspect to blow up buildings! It did not compute until I went to the link and read it in the context of the story. There's got to be a better choice, but all I can come up with is "planned" or "aimed." Need better headline writers!

Posted By: Capfka Re: sought - 06/01/04 07:17 PM
How about "intended"? I think that just about covers it, and there's damn-all ambiguity about the word, is there?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: sought - 06/01/04 10:55 PM
Did you know that there is such an organization as the Newspaper Headline Writers Association of South Asia (NeHeWASA)? One wonders if there is a parallel professional society in Europe or the United States.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sought - 06/02/04 02:04 AM
I like intended a heck of a lot more than sought...

it must be what the writer, like, intended...

Posted By: stales Re: sought - 06/02/04 04:00 AM
...it's a great headline!!

Got a whole bunch of people discussing the publication and even going so far as to 'hit' the site!!

Mission accomplished I'd say!!

Rather like our local pet shop, "Guppy's to Puppy's". The shop is well aware of its frivolous apostrophe use and have no intention of changing it. EVERYBODY drops into the shop to complain about it. Again, mission accomplished.

stales

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sought - 06/02/04 09:15 AM
eww, I feel so used...

Posted By: Faldage Re: mission accomplished - 06/02/04 10:07 AM
Do they buy any of those guppy's and puppy's?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic But wait! There's more! - 06/02/04 11:23 AM
http://www.suepalmer.co.uk/apostrophes.php

Posted By: stales Re: But wait! There's more! - 06/02/04 11:45 AM
Anna - I sent a photo of the G's to P's shop (and some pics of other offending signs) to Sue Palmer a couple of years ago when we discussed apostrophe usage at AWAD. She was grateful - but doesn't seem to have added them to her web site. I'll probably get over it....

stales

Posted By: Faldage Re: But wait! There's more! - 06/02/04 12:16 PM
And how, pray tell, does Ms. Palmer know that Ms. May didn't spell her first name with an apostrophe?

© Wordsmith.org