Wordsmith.org
Posted By: adeybug Troops - 05/04/04 11:46 AM
Since when has the U.S. government and the media started using the word troops to represent individual soldiers? As in "5 troops were killed" meaning 5 soldiers? I thought a troop was a group of soldiers or a cavalry unit or even a Girl Scout troop. I don't remember this from the last Gulf
war. What gives?

Posted By: shanks Re: Troops - 05/04/04 02:00 PM
Dunno, but it seems to me to be of a piece with using the word staff as a countable noun representing employess. I've seen, to my mind nonsense, sentences talking about "15 staffs" being in such and such a place when a bomb went off.

More evidence of the Decline and Fall of the Western Empire?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Troops - 05/04/04 08:41 PM
It might be correct to say "Five troopers were killed", but your suspicions about the use of "troop" instead are correct. It's just plain wrong.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Troop: person or group? - 05/04/04 08:59 PM
Both definitions are accepted by AHD4:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/73/T0377300.html

Can any of our etymologists tell us which came first?

Posted By: musick Troop group - 05/04/04 09:58 PM
I'm with Capfka. I also am inclined to believe it probably (*incorrectly) morphed from 'troopers' into 'troop' through calling them 'troops' for short.

It's the 'armed forces' way of morphing by shortening.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Troops - 05/05/04 10:13 AM
It's also an example of some rhetorical device that I can never remember the name of. Perhaps a search of the Forest would yield the answer:

http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/FOREST.HTM

Good hunting.

Posted By: jheem Re: Troop: person or group? - 05/05/04 04:26 PM
Troop is definitely an interesting word. A troop is like a herd, a host, or a company, but in its plural form it's come to mean soldiers plain and simple, or is that collectively? I can only assume that some have analysed the troops as in "Support our troops" as meaning individual soldiers rather than soldiers collectively. Etymologically, French troop is related to German Dorf and English thorp.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Troop: person or group? - 05/05/04 06:52 PM
Troupe is also derived from Latin troppus, according to my dictionary (Concise Oxford French).

Interestingly,Brits refer to soldiers, Boy Scouts or similar organisations as "A troop of ...", but bands of artistes are always "troupes of ..."

Posted By: jheem Re: Troop: person or group? - 05/05/04 08:23 PM
Yes, Middle French tro(u)pe comes from a presumed (reconstructed) Latin *troppus, but the English word troop comes from the French. The Latin word was a Germanic borrowing. Hence the Dorf/thorp cognates.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Troop: person or group? - 05/05/04 08:55 PM
Interesting. The eastern Dutch call Germans "dorfers", meaning "villagers" and implying "uncultured peasants". Can't think why!

Posted By: wsieber Re: Troop: person or group? - 05/06/04 10:58 AM
individual soldiers rather than soldiers collectively I recall having encountered this use even in older sources. Could it be a formation in analogy to "people" ("five people were present")?

© Wordsmith.org