Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Good Taste - 04/27/04 12:27 AM
This is not a food thread.

When one wishes to speak colloquially about something that tastes good, one may say that it is nummy or nummie. But which is it?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Good Taste - 04/27/04 01:35 AM
Uh--the only times--and rare those have been--I've heard this term, people were asking toddlers if they'd like some "nummies", as in something sweet, I guess. Don't think I've ever seen it written.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Good Taste - 04/27/04 11:52 AM
I think this may be a completely USn thing. It is not an expression I have ever heard before, in either spelling.

FWIW, I think that the spelling of words of this sort, which are primarily spoken forms, is a matter for the individual speller.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Good Taste - 04/27/04 12:00 PM
Nummy wins the Google® Fight™ 17,100 to 683.

Posted By: wow Re: Good Taste - 04/27/04 03:08 PM
My dog Spencer (aka Honey Bun) is called to food with "Nummie-Nums!" Never fails.
Otherwise it's a sorta childhood-referencing as when a chum arrives unexpectedly with a plate of special sweets and one exclaims "Oh, goodie! Nummie-nums!"

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Good Taste - 04/27/04 06:08 PM
And my post-teenage daughter refers to goodies as "nummers" -- doubtless a recollection of the word used during her infancy.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Good Taste - 04/27/04 11:17 PM
Never heard that before F.S., although yummy is a pretty common term to say something tastes good (or to say a guy is particularly hot! But then it's not said in the same tone and there's often a woo-woo after it.)

Posted By: TEd Remington Nummies may be regional - 05/01/04 05:44 PM
I've lived in Northern Virginia, Denver, and more recently in Western NC for a total of over 50 years and I have never heard nummie or nummy. Ever. When you started talking about it I wondered if it might be English. How interesting.

If you had said a yummy I would have know whereof you spoke.

TEd

Posted By: Father Steve Munchies and Crunchies - 05/01/04 09:50 PM
In the rather dark Disney movie The Black Cauldron (1985), there is a fantastic creature named Gurgi who is perennially and insatiably hungry. Gurgi is omnivorous and prefers his food live. When searching for a nummie, he is wont to say ""Munchies and crunchies in here somewhere." My (parentally demented) children adopted this phrase, as well, and, if they were hungry, would demand "munchies and crunchies." This phase has, I think, passed.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Munchies and Crunchies - 05/02/04 12:28 PM
I bet they'd a dropped it right quick if you'd served them some live food.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Nummies may be regional - 05/03/04 09:45 PM
If you had said a yummy I would have know whereof you spoke.

Me, too, TEd. Yummy is (or was!) a fairly common Brit saying.

Posted By: boronia Re: Nummies may be regional - 05/04/04 12:05 AM
Isn't there a famous reference to "birdie num nums" in a Peter Sellars (possibly Pink Panther) movie??

Posted By: Father Steve Birdie num-nums - 05/06/04 11:35 PM
The Peter Sellers film was actually "The Party" (1968) directed by Blake Edwards, as so many of his films were.

© Wordsmith.org