Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Dianne Hegemony - 01/25/01 02:46 PM
Hello. I'm new to AWAD and this is my first posting. I recently heard the word, hegemony, that I previously had only seen in print. It's a very strange word. My old standby dictionary didn't give me much info. Can any of you wordies offer details?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 03:12 PM
Hello Diane and welcome. I don't have a dictionary in front of me here, so my definition of "hegemony" may be imprecise. I understand the word to refer to a kind of absolute power or dominance, with perhaps a connotation for the psychological or cultural aspects of power, a sort of monopoly of ideas.

For example at http://slate.msn.com/Features/NaderMS/NaderMS.asp you can read an essay by Ralph Nader titled "The Microsoft Menace
Why I'm leading a crusade to stop its drive for cyberspace hegemony."

Posted By: wwh Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 03:24 PM
I like Alex's definition better than that of my CD dictionary, which I can have running minimized all the time I'm in AWAD. It only cost ten bucks, and I find it a great help not to have to switch to a book.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 03:35 PM
Alex's definition is right on, although the word isn't limited to the psychological or cultural aspects of power or ideas. In international relations theory there exists one of my favorite nonsense-sounding terms: when talking about a global political structure where there is one superpower that keeps things from going completely to pieces (e.g. England in the 19th century, some might say the U.S. in the 20th century), the term used is "hegemonic stability." Always loved the sound of it, and the fact that it probably means nothing it all except to a small group of academics.

I guess Anu is the hegemon of AWAD, eh?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 03:36 PM
ah, but the W3 (would that that were on CD!) definition is so succinct: a preponderant influence or authority (as of a government or state): dominance

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 06:56 PM
"hegemonic stability" is kinda like the sarcastic "pax romana."

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 07:11 PM
Although i've found it lacking for some of the more obscure words gleaned from this site, i have a m-w button right on my toolbar and use it *all* the time. you can download it at http://www.m-w.com/promos/button/button.htm.

it's a simple drag-and-drop installation, then all you have to do is highlight the word in question with your mouse and click on the 'dictionary' link that it places on your toolbar, and it will provide the definition in record time, with very little effort =)

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon
Posted By: Hyla Re: Hegemony - 01/25/01 09:55 PM
m-w button right on my toolbar

Now that is hegemonic. I may have just stumbled on a very time-consuming world of little, tiny ways I can mess with my browser.

Thanks, Ms. 96

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Hegemony - 01/26/01 07:06 PM
About online dictionaries at your fingertips. Jackie told everyone about this eons ago and I've been using it ever since. Atomica (formerly Gurunet) is a great online program that functions as a dictionary (it uses American Heritage), thesaurus, encyclopedia, almanac, history book, search engine, translator, weather ticker, atlas, medical and science dictionary, and wondrous other reference materials. All you have to do is download it at http://www.atomica.com (it's completely free), install it and then you just alt+click on any word in any document on your computer. It will automatically pop up and give you info about the word, term, person, place etc as long as you have the internet on when you want to use it.

Excuse me for sounding like an advertisement, but I think this thing is great.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hegemony - 01/26/01 08:13 PM
>Excuse me for sounding like an advertisement...

maybe you should download the m-w version and give us a Consumer ReportŪ

Posted By: Jackie Atomica - 01/26/01 11:00 PM
Thanks, Jazz-o. I've switched over, and it looks good.
Sorry I baited you 'bout not liking jazz.

Posted By: wow Re: Hegemony - 01/27/01 07:51 PM
All you have to do is download it at http://www.atomica.com (it's completely free), install it and then you just alt+click on any word in any document on your computer

JazzO ...Atomica is a BLAST.
Thanks,
wow

© Wordsmith.org