Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Deborah James sybarite - 03/23/04 10:22 PM
Hello, Linguaphile. Does anyone have information about the origins of the word "sybarite"? In particular I'm looking for the source of a legend about the word--the notion that the pleasure-loving Sybarites taught their horses to dance and were later defeated in battle when the enemy played music on the field of battle. Does this ring a bell?
DAJ

DAJ
Posted By: wwh Re: sybarite - 03/23/04 10:29 PM
There was an article in Scientific American over ten years ago about Sybaris. It is on south side of "great toe" of the
Italian boot. It was on a river, with a harbor much used by
traders, some of whom sailed up the river and landed goods
rather than go between Scylla and Charybdis.
There was enough trade that the city oot rich. But the river and harbor silted up, and the city died. The story about their horses dancing to music played by attacking
enemy is probably a fable.

Posted By: grapho Re: sybarite - 03/24/04 01:05 AM
The story about their horses dancing to music played by attacking enemy is probably a fable.

If a horse can prance to music, who says it can't dance to music, wwh?

Or perhaps you are only skeptical about an enemy getting a Sybarite's horse to dance when it should be advancing.

That would be a comical sight. [Not comical to a Sybarite, of course.]

Personally, I am skeptical about the story, not because I think a horse trained to dance will advance, but because I think a Sybarite would not be aboard any horse that had any inclination to advance.

A Sybarite would have the good taste to leave the fighting to others.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: yee-haw! - 03/24/04 01:12 AM
I did find this, Deborah:
http://www.word-detective.com/102502.html#sybarite

sounds like Mr. Ed has nothing on these old paints...

Posted By: wwh Re: yee-haw! - 03/24/04 01:21 AM
Dear etaoin: I wonder what Word-detective's authority was
for identifying Jimmy Carter as a "Sybarite". I have never hear of his over-indulgence in anything.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: yee-haw! - 03/24/04 01:28 AM
I think he was joking about that. though Carter did the infamous Playboy interview, no doubt the Pres in question was Clinton... whose misdeeds pale in comparison to the flagrant mis-use of power of our current administration...

Posted By: Jackie Re: sybarite - 03/24/04 02:08 AM
Wow--I have a friend here in town named Debbie James! Welcome aBoard to you!

Posted By: Deborah James Re: yee-haw! - 03/24/04 08:40 PM
Thanks so much! I've never forgotten the story--I think the idea that the Sybs. loved pleasure too much to be effective warriors reminds me of that whole Venus and Mars opposition. It's a very rich word-story.

DAJ
Posted By: grapho Re: yee-haw! - 03/26/04 05:24 PM
the idea that the Sybs. loved pleasure too much to be effective warriors

If the Sybarites were killed off in a raid, DAJ, you can be sure they took no pleasure in it.

Venus and Mars opposition. It's a very rich word-story.

Venus and Mars opposition. Very rich word-story, indeed.
[It went right over my head at first. When it finally landed, I lost my center of levity.]

Looks like the "Strangers" are stealing all the best lines around here.

Don't stay a "Stranger" too long, DAJ.

© Wordsmith.org