Wordsmith.org
Posted By: ladymoon feminine chinese - 01/21/01 10:22 PM
I read in a paper about a chinese language taught only to the females. It was not my paper so I refrained from tearing the article out. But now I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know the name of the language? Or anything else about it?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: feminine chinese - 01/21/01 11:46 PM
Does anyone know the name of the language? Or anything else about it?

'Fraid I don't, Ladymoon. But I am impressed by a secret language which only half a billion people know about ...

Posted By: ladymoon Re: feminine chinese - 01/22/01 05:08 AM
I didn't say secret. But I'm thinking if half a billion people know about it shouldn't I be able to find someone who's heard of it?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: feminine chinese - 01/22/01 05:43 AM
These may be of interest to you:
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3800a1b010bf.htm
http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~orie/aas99.htm
http://www.nau.edu/~wst/access/bigevents/nushu.html

For a more specific list, try doing a search for Nu Shu, nushu, etc.

Posted By: Jackie Re: feminine chinese - 01/22/01 12:30 PM
Oh, Max! Thank you, thank you! What a wonderful discovery! Oh, it's just like Rhuby said in another post:
the things I can learn here but never would have studied!
Not that I'm planning to learn Nu Shu (!), but the fact that
it exists is just amazing to me. What a testimony to the
determination of the human spirit. As was said in a Star
Trek episode, there is something in us that makes us resist subjugation with all our might, and these ancient women found, certainly not escape, but an easing of the bonds.

I thought it was interesting that people in the first link thought it was a hoax. That reminded me that I need to be more aware of that possibility, esp. when a certain
webmaster posts a sentence that looks like simply poor
English.

Thank you, ladymoon, for bringing this to our attention.
[namaste emoticon]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: feminine chinese - 01/22/01 03:03 PM
Fascinating!!!

I wonder if Margaret Atwood was aware of Nu Shu when she wrote "The Handmaid's Tale"?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: feminine chinese - 01/22/01 05:52 PM
Oh, Max! Thank you, thank you! What a wonderful discovery!
As much as I would love to bask in this praise, its undeserved. I had a vague recollection of hearing about something similar to that described by ladymoon, so I simply went to Google, typed in "Chinese language women", eat viola! There it was, a Nu shu, to go with my old one.

Posted By: TEd Remington Do WHAT??? - 01/22/01 06:01 PM
>eat viola!

No, Ted. Down, Ted. Resist temptation. There's a good lad. The police are on your case anyway!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Do WHAT??? - 01/22/01 06:14 PM
No, Ted. Down, Ted. Resist temptation. There's a good lad. The police are on your case anyway!

That's right, TEd - steele yourself to resist the bait I laid specifically for you!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Do WHAT??? - 01/22/01 06:29 PM
Max, you're encourageable!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: feminine chinese - 01/23/01 12:34 AM
I saw a documentary on the Geisha several years ago that stated that Geisha’s spoke a secret language among themselves that was only understood by women. Perhaps this is it. I wish I could remember the exact name of the documentary. Maybe someone else saw it and could mention it.

Posted By: ladymoon Re: feminine chinese - 01/23/01 04:18 AM
Thanks Max! I knew it was a matter of putting the right words in the right search engine, (Or asking the right people.) I was having no luck on my own. Thank you for your help.

© Wordsmith.org