Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Stone wine - 02/11/04 02:44 AM
Did you-all see this question in the AWADmail? He says it's in a song; not in the version I know, but. I still have no idea what "stone wine" could be. Can you-all help?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stone wine - 02/11/04 11:32 AM
I think we talked about this on wordorigins (maybe Eliza remembers?) but I dcouln't find it with the miserable ezboard search function.

My own personal idea is that it was a euphemistic mondegreen for 'stone blind'.

Posted By: ElizaD Re: Stone wine - 02/12/04 06:16 PM
Couldn't find anything on wordorigins, faldage, but if I can post a link correctly here, stone wine is made from vines grown on a stony field - see here http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:a2iNXDb9tXUJ:internet.sk/mediakurier/cei/e41.htm+"stone+wine+is"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I don't know if we got anywhere in the other discussion. Just hope this doesn't confuse.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Stone wine - 02/13/04 01:29 AM
Thanks, Eliza. I've sent it on to the questioner. My personal opinion is that it doesn't explain the usage in a Civil War song, but how do I know? I wasn't there! ;-) Oh, and welcome aBoard, by the way!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stone wine - 02/13/04 11:29 AM
Might could be the other way round. They started calling something 'stone wine' because of the reference in the song. I'm sticking with 'euphemistic mondegreen' till something better comes along.

Posted By: ElizaD Re: Stone wine - 02/16/04 06:13 PM
Thanks, Jackie. Just sorry I couldn't unearth the wordorigins thread. They don't all survive, unfortunately.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Stone wine - 02/16/04 06:14 PM
Are y'all aware?: The term is discussed at length in this week's AWADMail Issue 113.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Stone wine - 02/17/04 02:12 AM
Yeah, I saw that today. Held my breath, then heaved a sigh of relief that the guy didn't publish MY e-mail address. Even though I didn't write to him from my "real" one, I'd have been plenty upset!! GRR!

© Wordsmith.org