Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill trustifarians - 01/17/04 02:44 AM
trustifarians: rich young people without jobs

Saw this in an editorial today, saod to be a local Vermont coinage (eta?). I kinda like it. Anybody else heard this one before?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: trustifarians - 01/17/04 02:52 AM
yes, famous writer that I am, it is one of mine.

hahahaha.

actually, I can't say that I haven't heard this, but whether it's Vermont invention, who can really say?
it's a good word, nonetheless. very fitting.

Posted By: wwh Re: trustifarians - 01/17/04 01:12 PM
Seems a long stretch for Rastifarian to trustifarian.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: jeezum crow, mon - 01/17/04 01:56 PM
actually, dread locks and reggae are not uncommon here, Bill, and I would guess that some of them at least, are the (self)unemployed wealthy.

Posted By: dwavle Re: ? - 01/17/04 03:57 PM
That reminds me, growing up in Birmingham, we had something similar. Wealthy kids in tie-dyes, dreadlocks, you get the picture. I can't remember what we called them??? That was the late eighties. Oooops, just made me remember how old I'm getting.

DSW
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ? - 01/17/04 04:53 PM
I agree with Dr Bill that from Rastifarian to Trustifarian is a loooong stretch! But whatchagunnado about new slang? ... In my yeut they were called "trust-fund babies."

Hi, dwavle! Which Birmingham, UK or Alabama?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ? - 01/17/04 05:06 PM
I don't see the stretch at all. my image(perhaps incorrectly) of Rastafarians is of very mellow, maybe doped out, not doing a whole lot(at least on the outside). Trustifarian, which shares syllabification and a similar consonant scheme also are, in my view, people who because of their wealth, don't do too much. they might ski, and spend money, but tend to seem doped out, and their contributions to those around them are pretty little.
I'm not sure if I explained that at all well, but there you go. seems an apt coinage to me.

Posted By: dodyskin daddy's going to be very cross - 01/17/04 10:07 PM
Trustafarian is so old round here (NW/UK) it can hardly even be considered slang. We Mancs use it to describe the wealthy crusties that hang around squat parties taking more drugs than can possibly be any fun and alternating between telling oh so amusing stories about their servants and earnestly banging on about how money is the root of all evil. They are generally the loudest dirtiest girl at the party that somehow can always afford a taxi home.

Posted By: dwavle Re: ? - 01/17/04 10:14 PM
Alabama - I'm a southern girl at heart but live in Kansas now.

DSW
Posted By: Capfka Re: ? - 01/18/04 07:21 PM
I don't see the stretch at all. my image(perhaps incorrectly) of Rastafarians is of very mellow, maybe doped out, not doing a whole lot

You lot in Vermont do lead sheltered lives, then!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: snowmon - 01/18/04 07:45 PM
sheltered lives

well, you know, as they say, we got nine months a' winter, and three months of damn poor sledding...

Posted By: Jackie Re: sheltered lives - 01/18/04 07:49 PM
Apparently some Vermonters are going to get more, um, exposure: I read somewhere that a corps of firefighters is making a nude calendar as a fund-raiser.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sheltered lives - 01/18/04 08:19 PM
well, these guys are just up the road a bit...
http://www.vermonty.com/

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: daddy's going to be very cross - 01/19/04 02:17 PM
dodyskin nailed the def as I always understood it. I always assumed it was a UK coinage. The only thing I might add is the connotation that these be-dreaded trust-fund-babies were marking time until real life kicked in. Most of the ones I knew eventually sobered up and became precisely the corporate tools that they had previously denigrated.
Im my local punk scene, the same type of poseurs were referred to as "credit card punks."

© Wordsmith.org