Wordsmith.org
Posted By: davego Pride - 01/07/04 09:22 PM
Pride, or to act proudly.

This question is prompted by the mission statement of a corporation -- something to the effect of "Proudly providing . . .".

My question is, is this a positive statement, given the negative connotations of pride, as in "Pride goeth before a fall", and pride being one of the seven deadly sins, etc..

I'd be most interested in the wisdom of your responses.

Regards,
regular lurker and occasional poster

Posted By: musick Re: Pride - 01/07/04 09:34 PM
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=metawords&Number=117787

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Pride - 01/07/04 09:41 PM
...probably not a problem to proudly provide.

Posted By: maverick Re: Pride - 01/07/04 11:44 PM
While I admire your reasoning, musick, I can't agree with your generalisations for a moment since I think it's a completely unrealistic assessment of what makes humans tick.

I see pride in every single person around me in daily life: when it is an internally focussed agent of creation and personal reward its effects are, I believe, mostly laudable. When, like many of our other attributes, it is allowed to become an end in itself it grows into a pernicious evil.

But I happily defer to your personal experience being true for you ~ 'tis well known that musicians are a special breed! :)

Posted By: musick Re: Pride - 01/08/04 12:05 AM
...an internally focussed agent of creation...

You've sparked my internal force to create a new memory based on your explaination of what exactly® you mean.

Is a 'sense of accomplishment' *truly talking about something else or is it just a less emotionally intense version of 'pride'?

Posted By: maverick Re: Pride - 01/08/04 12:08 AM
mmm, I guess it's a close cousin. Wait, izzat a good thang or a baaad thang?!

Posted By: musick Re: Pride - 01/08/04 12:10 AM
Your sounding a bit sheepish, there...

Hey, Phranz...

Posted By: maverick Re: Pride - 01/08/04 12:14 AM
baaastard :)

Posted By: of troy Re: Pride - 01/08/04 12:19 AM
well mav, what do ewe expect when you ramble on?

Posted By: musick Re: Pride - 01/08/04 12:30 AM
...are a special breed!

- and -

baaastard

- and -

...a close cousin.

Are ewe trying to tell me something?

davego had no idea what he was starting...
Posted By: of troy Re: Pride - 01/08/04 01:01 AM
and lambing begins in ernest in a for'tnight, at candlemas! what will happen then, if this is what we are upto now?

(i think i feel a limerick comming on)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Pride - 01/08/04 01:03 AM
ernest must be getting worried...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Pride - 01/08/04 02:09 AM
[stern look at all above post-ers except davego and Anna]
I think Bingley's post in Musick's link (darn you, Musick, I haven't been to Metawords for ages and ages, and now all my New tags will have disappeared...) says it best, dave:Two different words in Indonesian: bangga and sombong.

Bangga is a justifiable pride in one's achievements, sombong is an arrogant conviction that you are more important than anyone else.

I think the corporation was at least aiming for people to think they meant the former.

© Wordsmith.org