Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh epes - 12/29/03 07:32 PM
Do we have any genealogy buffs among us? Something reminded me of "epes" which I think was used to designate an individual who had changed his name, in one occasion because he was angry with the family, and in another a man changed his name to please a wealthy relative. At least that is my fragmentary recollection.
I can't find it in any dictionary. I have looked at a dozen genealogy glossaries without finding it.
Anybody know what it means?

Posted By: Zed Re: epes - 12/29/03 07:58 PM
doesn't s(epe) into my memory at all.

Posted By: Jackie Re: epes - 12/29/03 11:55 PM
Gurunet gave this; not much help, I'm afraid:
EPE stands for:
Electric Potential Energy
Electronic Processing Equipment
Elvis Presley Enterprises
Employment Placement Enterprise
Enhanced Performance Engine
Enhanced Privacy and Encryption
Estimated Position Error
Expanded Polyethylene
Experienced Programmer Education (IBM)
Extended Period of Eligibility
Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: epes - 12/30/03 12:00 AM
stumped my searches, too...

Posted By: Jackie Prediction - 12/30/03 02:47 AM
The next new catch-phrase will be: "Well, stump my searches".
Posted By: maahey Re: epes - 12/30/03 05:07 AM
This doesn't seem to have *any relation to what you are asking about wwh, but, I found this in *my searches. There is just such a word in Greek, and it means 'line'. I found it while searching, in a page on Greek meter, which by itself makes interesting reading. The meter pattern for a distich is called 'hemiepes'. Bingley, come in...
Am posting the link if you are interested; scroll down till you find a paragraph titled, 'elegy and the five of nothing pentameter'. It is described there.

http://www.aoidoi.org/articles/meter/intro.php.

Posted By: Faldage Re: epes - 12/30/03 04:14 PM
This would be complicated by the fact that Epes is a surname, a given name, and a town in Alabama.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: chimp - 12/30/03 04:19 PM
maybe it's really supposed to be "apes". now we're talking genealogy...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: chimp - 12/30/03 05:08 PM
Watch it, Dudes. Half my family comes from Alabama.

...with banjos on their knees and everthang!

Posted By: wow Re: chimp - 12/30/03 09:09 PM
No kidding, AnnaS - a branch of my family settled in Alabama.
So Happy New Year cousin!

Posted By: grapho Re: epes - 01/01/04 05:09 PM
"epes" - used to designate an individual who had changed his name, in one occasion because he was angry with the family, and in another a man changed his name to please a wealthy relative

"epes" [also "eps"] is short for "epaulet" (in the plural because "epes" are traditionally worn on both shoulders, or on both sides of the collar, at least in modern times).

"Changing epes" refers to the practice of changing one's allegiance to a new patron/sponsor/protector - specifically, by changing one's name to spurn an unsatisfactory patron or namesake, or to curry favor or show respect.

In modern times, star athletes "change their epes" by selling their services to the highest bidder, either a sports team or a commercial sponsor, such as Nike. (In this example, the Nike "Swoosh" is an "ep". This negotiation results in an actual physical change of uniform, corresponding to the "epes" of earlier times when knights and such wore the insignia of their leader.)

The practice of "changing epes" also contemplates the practice of naming one's offspring after the reigning stars of sports and entertainment, the true royalty of the modern world.

One can actually infer birthdates by the popularity of certain names such as "Madonna" or "Britney"*. This phenomenon mirrors the practice in the military of "changing epes" to reflect a change in rank.

epaulet
(Mil.) A shoulder ornament or badge worn by military and naval officers, differences of rank being marked by some peculiar form or device, as a star, eagle, etc.; a shoulder knot.

* Trendspotters predict Bridonna will be popular.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-0312280407dec28,1,7753610.story?coll=chi-homepagepromo451-fea

Posted By: Bingley Re: epes - 01/02/04 12:41 AM
Couldn't get your link to work, maahey. With a bit of digging around on aoidoi though I did find the reference. The address in the address bar looked exactly the same as what you've got, so I don't know why.

Later edit. Got it. Your full stop got caught up in the address. The link should read http://www.aoidoi.org/articles/meter/intro.php .
As for hemiepes, I haven't checked this, but he seems to be saying that the word is made up of hemi = half + ep = epic + es = adjectival ending.

Bingley
Posted By: grapho It's Greek to me - 01/02/04 01:31 PM
With a bit of digging around on aoidoi though I did find the reference.

Thanks for the lead, Bingley. With a bit of digging around on aoidoi, I found this:

"The study of Greek meter exercises a great power of seduction over some scholars. You can find recently published books entirely on this topic and which devote an entire page to a schematic rendering of some tricky bit of Pindar. .... it's not clear to me how long I'll have to study before the notation "cretic + link anceps + hemiepes + final anceps" is going to mean much to me without a great deal of thought. .... "

It's greek to me.

Posted By: grapho Re: epes - 01/03/04 01:19 PM
Trendspotters predict "Bridonna" will be popular.

P.S. You could say the name is in gestation. [2nd trimester actually]

Posted By: maahey Re: epes - 01/03/04 02:32 PM
Oops! Sorry folks! (thwacking head)

Posted By: wwh Re: epes - 01/03/04 02:46 PM
Dear grapho: you gave me an idea for a great name:"Trendy".

Posted By: grapho Re: epes - 01/03/04 06:54 PM
you gave me an idea for a great name: "Trendy"

"Trendy" will never want for friends, wwh ... at least fair weather friends.

© Wordsmith.org