Wordsmith.org
Posted By: stales A Question Of "-age" - 12/31/00 05:03 AM
Have noted an increase in the use of "age" (as in signage) where I would've thought a good old fashioned "s" would have sufficed for the plural form. Is this simply psuedo-academism or are there valid circumstances?

Heard a beauty this morning - "10% of the world's cranage was operating in Shanghai"!! ("craneS WERE" not good enough??)

stales

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Question Of "-age" - 12/31/00 05:49 AM
I agree - I think it's the business world trying to talk technical speak. Or journalists, but then do I repeat myself?

Posted By: stales Re: A Question Of "-age" - 01/01/01 02:28 AM
Been thinking further on this one...

I think the "age" suffix does imply some sort of charge - postage, trackage and (or so my Dad tells me) wharfage.

Still struggling with signage - but understand it's an essential part of any marketing campaign - ie as in "publicity and signage are key ingredients to the campaign".

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A Question Of "-age" - 01/01/01 06:15 AM
>I think the "age" suffix does imply some sort of charge...

for an obscure one, try lastage.

Posted By: shanks Re: A Question Of "-age" - 01/01/01 10:58 AM
for an obscure one, try lastage.

And for a gutter one, try pubage. I've heard it used in conversation - I swear - Austin Powers influenced, I think.

Posted By: TEd Remington pubage - 01/01/01 12:03 PM

Posted By: musick Post deleted by musick - 01/02/01 10:30 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: A Question Of "Faldage" - 01/03/01 01:53 AM
Faldage (or foldage) is, of course, the right of the lord of the manor to tell his tenants where to pasture their sheep for the purpose of controling the manurage.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: pubage - 01/03/01 03:00 AM
18 hereabouts

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Question Of "Faldage" - 01/03/01 03:05 AM
Faldage smoozes: Faldage (or foldage) is, of course, the right of the lord of the manor to tell his tenants where to pasture their sheep for the purpose of controling the manurage.

And, no doubt, exercise droit de seigneur?

Posted By: NicholasW Re: functionality - 01/03/01 08:35 AM
I have to admit I use 'functionality' at work. I had thought about it and decided that, although it sounds like an empty jargon word, in fact it succinctly fills a place. It means 'the way it works' or more precisely 'all the different things it does' or 'the collective of its functions'. Any suggestions for better one-word ways of saying this?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: functionality - 01/03/01 08:46 AM
Hmmm. We use "functionality" to describe the functions of software objects. Probably a bit twee, but, as NicholasW of the puzzled "what else?" in relation to nuking food in a microwave has pointed out, it fulfils a definite purpose.

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: functionality - 01/03/01 01:24 PM
Not trying to be a smart*ss, but how about good old "use" (the noun) instead of functionality?

Posted By: NicholasW Re: functionality - 01/03/01 02:01 PM
'Use' is too general to be a synonym. If someone said they had a product and wanted to increase its use, that could mean:

-- sell it to more users

-- make it go faster

-- use it more times a day

-- create new ways to use it (increase its functionality)

Posted By: Faldage Re: A Question Of "droit de seigneur" - 01/03/01 02:12 PM
Shame on you CapK!

Posted By: Faldage Re: functionality - 01/03/01 02:19 PM
You're going to get a lot of these words that seem at first blush to be empty neologisms but which fulfill a definite need. Proactive is one. You could say active but that doesn't stress the idea that you are taking an action with the specific intent of forestalling some undesired condition that reactive has to wait for before it gets to be used.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Question Of "droit de seigneur" - 01/03/01 05:43 PM
Shame on you CapK!

Answer the question!

Posted By: Faldage Re: A Question Of "droit de seigneur" - 01/03/01 06:29 PM
Answer the question!

No.

Posted By: wow Good woords gone to greater length - 01/03/01 07:06 PM
Faldage wrote : You're going to get a lot of these words

Harumph. Does it bother anyone else when perfetly good words are lengthened for no apparent reason or purpose?
Ex : UPcoming and ONgoing
Why not just comimg and continuing?
Doesn't anyone read Strunk and White anymore ?
wow

Posted By: musick Post deleted by musick - 01/03/01 07:58 PM
Posted By: TEd Remington UPcoming and ONgoing - 01/03/01 08:05 PM
wow:

I use these terms in place of coming and continuing because they convey a message that is otherwise lost.

To me an "upcoming" election is one that is close at hand; definitely closer at hand than is the coming election, but of course I can't tell you when a coming election becomes an upcoming election. (notice how I used the "l" so cleverly to avoid the gutter police???)

Ongoing to me implies that it's happening right now: the ongoing trial. If I susbstitute continuing I lose the immediacy of the event that I "feel" when I use ongoing. It might also be ambiguous for trial if you infer the use of the transitive verb continue.

This is to me why English has a million or more words, so we can include these subtle nuances and make our writing and speaking as rich as possible.

TEd

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: functionality - 01/03/01 08:08 PM
Okay, I accept that some of you don't like the use of "functionality". I spent an hour this morning painting cupboard doors and thinking about alternatives. (Yes, I have a very sad life. [Boo-hoo emoticon])

No alternatives came to mind which sum up the concept of "the tasks which this software object is capable of carrying out" as succinctly and meaningfully to all concerned. Yes, it's jargon. No, it's not just jargon for the sake of it.

I would strenuously argue against its use with, say, reference to toasters or electric jugs. And I have seen it used in this kind of context.

Posted By: Hyla Electric Jugs? - 01/03/01 08:12 PM
Cap Kiwi - Perhaps you used it in less than complete seriousness, but I must know - what is an electric jug? What is its functionality?

Posted By: Faldage Re: UPcoming and ONgoing - 01/03/01 09:28 PM
wow complains: perfectly good words are lengthened for no apparent reason and compares ONgoing (bad) with continuing (good)

A ten letter word is lengthened and becomes a seven letter word?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Electric Jugs? - 01/03/01 09:32 PM
Hyla seeks translation: Cap Kiwi - Perhaps you used it in less than complete seriousness, but I must know - what is an electric jug? What is its functionality?

Read "electric kettle", I guess. You know, thingy with an element for boiling water. Didn't realise "jug" was less than universal ...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: UPcoming and ONgoing - 01/03/01 09:39 PM
I use upcoming when I want to create a feeling immediacy. “I will run in the upcoming election” sounds like your will run in the election coming up next, not the one after; and that there are no elections between now and that one.

In some circumstances I prefer ongoing to continuing. Ongoing gives the impression that the thing (trial for example) has been happening and will continue to happen, whereas continuing can mean it stopped and is now starting over. I realize that in the second case resuming would be the appropriate word but it is not always used. Look at all televised mini-series. They “continue from yesterday,” never resume.

Posted By: of troy Re: Electric Jugs? - 01/03/01 09:48 PM
Oh jug is pretty unversal--
but its usually a little brown jug-- ..

and back a-ways, we had this silly digression on to cooking and food-- and realized
Everyone in America has (or at least knows about) toaster ovens-- but very few of us have electric kettles
and most of the rest of the english speaking world has electric kettles, and hasn't a clue what a toaster oven is...

I haven't checked the profile-- but i'll bet Hyla is American, or English is not first language. (or not the language of home land)-- so even the idea of an electric kettle might be strange...

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Electric Jugs? - 01/04/01 01:55 AM
As I think I've said before, and MaxQ will have if I haven't, NZ and the Strine are caught between the British/European culture and the American culture. Although there have been attempts to keep the American cultural wolf from the gate, they have never been particularly successful. We often have two words for the same thing where there are distinct British and American terms. And even three, where there is a Zild term which is distinct from either of the others, although nothing really comes to mind.

Any NZer would understand either electric kettle or electric jug without the need for explanation. And toaster ovens, for that matter!

Posted By: NicholasW Re: functionality - 01/04/01 09:42 AM
Yes, it's jargon. No, it's not just jargon for the sake of it.

Yes, this is the key. The reason technical jargon gets a bad name is when it's overused or needlessly extended. Often, 'functionality' should be crossed out and replaced by 'function' or 'use' whenever someone intelligent gets to read the manager's/salesperson's first draft. (This seldom ever happens.) But there is a good niche for the word when it's genuinely needed.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Electric Jugs? - 01/04/01 05:43 PM
I thought maybe electric jugs had to do with the German Stopsemfromfloppenelektrifizierung.

Posted By: TEd Remington Jugs - 01/04/01 06:35 PM
> I thought maybe electric jugs had to do with the German Stopsemfromfloppenelektrifizierung.

Shocking. You won't have any support from the rest of us when the gutter police see this one!!!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Question Of "droit de seigneur" - 01/05/01 01:17 AM
As for moi, I'm still tittering at CapK's and Faldage's ovine quid-pro-quo...

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: A Question Of "droit de seigneur" - 01/05/01 03:44 PM
I've got all I can do to keep abreast of this exchange.

Posted By: Faldage Baa-a-a-a - 01/05/01 04:02 PM
Humbug

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Baa-a-a-a - 01/05/01 05:04 PM
What Faldage means is ... droit de seigneurage on his manor is limited to sheep?! In a manor of speaking, of course.

Posted By: WGS Re: functionality - 02/20/01 03:54 PM
It's interesting that "proactive" has been used as an example for functionality. According to the New York Times Everyday Dictionary of 1982, the word means "favoring the first learned -- inhibition". Obviously, that is just the opposite of how the word is popularly used. The word now has no function because the meaning must be determined by the context. "Pro-active" might be a proper spelling for the current usage, but that doesn't help in an oral presentation.

Posted By: wwh Re: A Question Of "Faldage" - 02/20/01 08:23 PM
Wish I could have known of that one for words learned in genealogy.Now I must go wash the garbage off my bandage (residue of lunch) and hope I may achieve second nonage since I may not become a nonagenarian.

Posted By: wow Re: UPcoming and ONgoing - 02/20/01 10:43 PM
Ted R wrote : I use these terms in place of coming and continuing because they convey a message that is otherwise lost.
------------------------------------
You have made very good points in your Posted reasonings. So good, in fact that I shall re-think my "Harumph!" Thank you TEd.
wow

Posted By: wow Re: UPcoming and ONgoing - 02/20/01 10:49 PM
belM wrote : continuing can mean it stopped and is now starting over.
-------------------------------------------------
An interesting and cogent observation. You and Ted may yet drag me into the 21st century kick and scream tho I may.
wow

Posted By: garynamy Re: A Question Of "-age" - 02/21/01 01:12 PM
The bane of my existence right now is 'verbiage,' which I'm constrained to use at work.

Can't we just say 'words?'

Posted By: wwh Re: A Question Of "-age" - 02/21/01 02:22 PM
Seems to me "verbiage" has a pejorative tone often enough to make it useful at times.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Verbiage/Verbage - 02/21/01 09:36 PM
At the website developer where I occasionally am taken on to cast an editorial eye, what I'm paid to look at is the "verbage." "Verbiage" almost looks good compared to that.
Granted, the verbage is often garbage.

Posted By: TEd Remington verbiage - 02/22/01 06:17 PM
This is one word that is misused a good bit. Verbiage means (in its usual sense) overly wordy, saying something in ten words when two would do. My now-retired boss used to send me notes about changing the verbiage of something I had written and I used to turn purple with rage because I was trying hard to write just the two words.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: verbiage - 02/22/01 06:37 PM
not only that, but (from dictionary.com):

Note on pronunciation: Verbiage is sometimes pronounced with two syllables, as \VUR-bij\. Charles Harrington Elster, in The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations, calls this a ``thoroughly beastly mispronunciation that unfortunately has become so common that two current dictionaries recognize it.'' He continues, ``Marriage and carriage have two syllables, but, traditionally and properly, foliage and verbiage have three.''

...which leads, of course, to verbage.

© Wordsmith.org