Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Judder - 12/10/03 10:03 PM
Nicci Gerrard of the Observer wrote a review of the novel 'Northern Lights' by Philip Pullman and said: "The relationship between the soul and the body; the nature of power and betrayal; the birth of desire; the knowledge of emotional hunger and loneliness; the strength of friendship; the corruption of knowledge are colossal themes that judder through the symbol-laden narrative."

Judder?

One wonders if this is a corruption of/evolution from "shudder" or what?

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Judder - 12/10/03 10:08 PM
In NZ, the traffic control devices known as "speed bumps" across the ditch are still commonly called "judder bars."

Posted By: wwh Re: Judder - 12/10/03 10:17 PM
From AHD
judder

SYLLABICATION: jud·der
PRONUNCIATION: jdr
INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: jud·dered, jud·der·ing, jud·ders
To shake rapidly or spasmodically; vibrate conspicuously: “Edith would watch her wrestling with words, her thin little body juddering with the effort to unlock them” (Anita Brookner).
NOUN: A rapid or spasmodic shaking.
ETYMOLOGY: Perhaps j(erk)1 + (sh)udder.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Judder - 12/10/03 10:33 PM
I'm with Max. Common enough in the Zild.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/10/03 11:06 PM
...and not meaning to "hijack" this thread: I heard briefly something about the BBC sponsoring a vote on the 21 greatest books (of the 20th century, I think)? Pullman is in the running with His Dark Materials? Can anybody lead me to a link about this? That's all I know... sounds pretty strange to me.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/10/03 11:31 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/11/03 12:30 AM
digging a bit deeper, we find that these are the 21 contenders for Britain's favorite novel, as featured on The Big Read...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/bookchampions.shtml

Posted By: Bingley Re: Judder - 12/11/03 04:12 AM
Judder is a common enough word in the UK as well. What else would you call, for example, the motion of a car when it stalls?

Bingley
Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Judder - 12/11/03 06:37 AM
Never seen it or heard it used before. Sounds like a melding of "shudder" and "jerk."

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/11/03 12:28 PM
That sure is an odd collection, tsuwm. Thanks to you and Father Steve for posting. Shall we start another thread discussing the merits?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/11/03 02:24 PM
Oh, hijack this one by all means. We're obviously talking a different language to the US.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/11/03 03:22 PM
We're obviously talking a different language to the US.

Noooo....!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/11/03 03:26 PM
That'd be a different language from the one they talk to themselves in.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Speaking of hijacking - 12/12/03 11:54 AM
I've heard the word, Father Steve. When Jules Verne was building the prototype submarine for "Captain Nemo" to pilot (he wanted to be able to write excellent descriptions for his readers), for the longest time he couldn't seem to get the crankshaft to stop trying to jump out of its mountings. Finally he got it to turn smoothly in place like it was supposed to, so he named the sub Juddernaught.Sorry--I know I've fussed about trying to keep Q & A for serious word discussion, but I just couldn't resist this. Won't happen very often, I promise.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Speaking of lowjoking - 12/12/03 08:19 PM
Juddernaught
serious word discussion

oh, so that was meant to be funny...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Speaking of lowjoking - 12/13/03 02:04 AM
Well, you see, it juddered naught...
Ted, come back quick, we need you!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Speaking of lowjoking - 12/13/03 11:46 AM
I got it... the first time

hahahahaha

Posted By: Faldage Re: Speaking of lowjoking - 12/13/03 03:18 PM
I got it... the first time

So did I, but I was too polite to mention it.

Posted By: wow Re: Judder - 12/13/03 03:54 PM
Common enough in [i[New England. Especially in regards to cars when they judder (diesel) after you've turned off the motor (ignition),
But then ----

Posted By: Bingley Re: Speaking of Philip Pullman - 12/15/03 04:20 AM
In reply to:

digging a bit deeper, we find that these are the 21 contenders for Britain's favorite novel, as featured on The Big Read...

Apparently The Lord of the Rings won, with Pride and Prejudice second.

Bingley

© Wordsmith.org