Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh goat meat - 11/28/03 08:04 PM
There was a post recently in which goat meat was called mutton. This started me hunting for a word for "goat meat".
It took me several days, but I have finally found one. Not in French where I thought it would be, but in Mexican Spanish, apparently: "Cabrito".

"For more than twenty years, the central Texas town of Brady has staged the World Championship Barbeque Goat Cook-off on Labor Day weekend. Cabrito is a delicacy that has its ardent admirers--and many detractors. To those who have failed to see the merit in a crunchy yet tender piece of goat meat, the blame must be placed squarely on the way it’s been cooked and on the fact that the goat you got probably wasn’t a ten-to-eighteen-pound, suckling kid slaughtered at thirty to forty days of age. Older goat is often passed off as cabrito, but once they start browsing on grass, goats develop an unmistakable mutton flavor. "

Posted By: Jackie Re: goat meat - 11/28/03 08:14 PM
Thank you, Dr. Bill. I was wondering about that myself. I knew there was a good reason I've never eaten mutton...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: goat meat - 11/28/03 08:25 PM
I think the proper term for goat meat is chevon.

Posted By: wwh Re: goat meat - 11/28/03 08:53 PM
Dear Father Steve: Thanks for that. Here's a URL to document it:
http://www.cestoscreekranch.com/Page 2 - Meat Facts.htm
Dear Jackie: I ate a lot more mutton in the Army than I wanted to. We called it mountain goat.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: goat meat - 11/28/03 09:06 PM
Jamaicans do wonderful things with goat meat. I don't know if there is a unique Jamaican word for it. Many cultures curry goat meat. This is likely to mask the unpleasant flavour of mature chevon. By far the best goat meat is that of the kid, taken while it is still being milk fed and before its flesh begins to taste like mutton. The best defense a sheep ever had against slaughter for culinary use is what happens to its flavour when it leaves the teat and heads for the grass. Likewise goats.

Posted By: wwh Re: goat meat - 11/28/03 09:19 PM
Dear Father Steve: I just had a sad disappointment. That new French dictionary did not have "chevon". It had chèvre = she goat, and chevreau = kid, but sob,sob,sanglots - no
"chevon". And I could find no way to inform the webmaster of this tragic discrepancy.

Posted By: Jackie Re: goat meat - 11/29/03 02:52 AM
From a commercial site: At the present time there are two relatively new products for Queensland markets and these are Capretto (Italian for young kid) milk fed at approximately 3 to 5 months of age dressing between 6 to 12 kg and with pink flesh. Chevon which describes a heavier carcass dressing between 14 to 25 kg and showing no more than 2 permanent teeth.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: goat meat - 11/29/03 03:57 AM
Goat is a traditional favourite among Rarotongans, and as a child, I used to occasionally nip out of school at lunchtime to the home of some Raro friends two doors down, for roast (feral) goat and Raro dougnhuts. Abso-capri-lutely delicious!

Posted By: Capfka Re: goat meat - 11/29/03 05:03 AM
Bill, "chevon" is a term coined by marketers, as is cervena for deer meat. The French root was used and abused, as is often the case!

Posted By: consuelo Re: goat meat - 11/29/03 08:52 PM
While living in Mexico, I had occasion to eat cabrito on many occasions. Cooked as barbacoa and served with fresh warm tortillas and homemade pico de gallo, it is just WOW

Posted By: wwh Re: goat meat - 11/29/03 09:48 PM
Dear consuelo: this gringo had to look up recipe for pico de gallo:

Pico de Gallo Salsa
4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 fresh chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped red or yellow bell pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon lime juice
salt and pepper, to taste

Posted By: consuelo Re: goat meat - 11/30/03 02:11 PM
WooHoo! a food thread

Posted By: wwh Re: goat meat - 11/30/03 02:17 PM
No, just explaining something you did to tease me.

Posted By: consuelo Re: goat meat - 11/30/03 02:25 PM
*hehheh*

© Wordsmith.org