Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Inobvious - 10/24/03 04:13 AM
The spell-checker on my Microsoft Word 2000 program questioned my use of the word "inobvious" and recommended that I use "unobvious" insted. Ready to ridicule the byte-heads at Microsoft, I consulted the One-Look On-Line Dictionary and it told me that there is no such word. Alas. Can it be? I have used this word for decades. Am I speaking English here?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Inobvious - 10/24/03 10:57 AM
OED doesn't even have it. Have you checked wwftd? Or maybe you should switch to disobvious (pre-cross-threading).

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Inobvious - 10/24/03 11:27 AM
or ask Ron...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Inobvious - 10/24/03 12:52 PM
ask Ron

Or Inron…

Posted By: ron obvious this may seem nonobvious, but - 10/24/03 01:11 PM
MSW and OED may fail you, but you will no doubt be pleased to learn that the US end-all-and-be-all of lexicons (W3I) gives inobvious, with the obvious etymology in + obvious but no citations.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: this may seem nonobvious, but - 10/24/03 08:10 PM
I'm feeling much better already.

Padre

Posted By: Zed Re: this may seem nonobvious, but - 10/24/03 11:07 PM
Hey maybe they'll cite you and you can be even more famous.

Posted By: Father Steve Fame - 10/25/03 12:05 AM
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."

~ Cato the Elder

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Fame - 10/25/03 12:38 AM
good one, Father.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Fame - 10/25/03 03:06 AM
See now, that's why you need a monument.

I have no clue who Cato the Elder. Now if he had a monument, I'd go, "ooo, who was he, and why was he special enough to earn a monument?"

Posted By: Bingley Re: Fame - 10/25/03 05:50 AM
http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/people/a/catotheelder.htm

Bingley
Posted By: Capfka Re: Fame - 10/27/03 11:07 AM
Ah yes, old "Carthago delenda est" himself. Bumptious, conservative to a fault and as full of Roman gravitas as any modern prig ...

And the grandson wasn't much better, either!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Fame - 10/27/03 01:50 PM
I suspect you're thinking of his great-grandson: Cato the Younger, die-hard (quite literally) opponent of Julius Caesar.

Bingley
Posted By: Capfka Re: Fame - 10/27/03 06:45 PM
Yeah, yeah. Cato the Toddler. Waddever. It was all a bit before my time. Bruce Willis would have approved, n'est-ce pas? Cato II died hard, and with a vengeance!

Posted By: AndrewsGhost Re: Fame - 10/28/03 09:58 AM
*wonders what it would be like to spend the rest of eternity with an obelisk crushing one's skull*

*makes a mental note to ask Joan how painful her last bar-b-q was to see if it would compare*

© Wordsmith.org