Wordsmith.org
Posted By: YourChel Electronic Pocket Dictionary? - 12/19/00 04:14 PM
I apologize if this question has been answered in a previous post (if so please redirect me), but I was hoping a fellow linguaphile could recommend a good electronic dictionary. As a high school student I always carried a “pocket” dictionary, which was small, incomplete and cumbersome, but necessary to satisfy my compulsion to look up the words that were stuck in my head like songs. But technology must have by now created a comprehensive electronic “pocket” dictionary, probably the size of a Palm Pilot. Is anyone aware of such a gadget? What are the good ones? The bad ones? Please help!
Thanks,
chel-o

'mr. spock said he didn't have any feelings on the issue... but then, he never does.'
Posted By: Jackie Re: Electronic Pocket Dictionary? - 12/20/00 12:54 AM
Mr. or Ms. musician (well, your name sounds like an instrument!),

Welcome aBoard. I haven't a clue about the type of gadget you're looking for, but I imagine there's info. available on the 'net somewhere. I feel sure you can find someone willing to take your money!.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Electronic Pocket Dictionary? - 12/20/00 01:47 AM
there are dictionary applications available for the Palm Pilot (and clones); I've heard that the M-W Collegiate is available to download for some versions -- you couldn't do much better than that.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Electronic Pocket Dictionary? - 12/20/00 08:46 AM
I have the dictionary for the Palm Pilot. It used all the available memory and was missing most of the words I would look up. So I ditched it.

Have no recommendations about others, unfortunately.

© Wordsmith.org