Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie A lasting impression - 10/21/03 02:25 AM
I have heard Britspeakers say Sunday last, for ex., where I would say last Sunday. Do you-all also say week last, or month last, or year last?

Posted By: Bingley Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 03:48 AM
no

Bingley
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 04:33 AM
I occasionally use [Day-of-the-week] last when I'm speaking overly formally, or trying to make it very clear exactly to when I am referring. I've never heard the other variations, though I imagine [month] last could be used at a stretch.

Posted By: AndrewsGhost Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 06:13 AM
*seems to him that just Friday last he had referred to something last month, but then realized he bungled and really meant yesteryear*

uhm... what was the question again?

"Everytime I walk into a singles bar I can hear Mom's wise words : "Don't pick that up , you don't know where it's been!!""

Posted By: Faldage Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 08:58 AM
trying to make it very clear exactly to when I am referring

Don't tell me, I want to roll it around for a while to try to figure out how Friday last is clearer than last Friday.

But hold that thought; I may have a few questions for you in just a bit.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 11:35 AM
Tuesday-last or Tuesday-gone, a common enough expression round these parts.
today is Tuesday
seven days ago was Tuesday-last or Tuesday-gone
in seven days it will be Tuesday-next or Tuesday-coming

**edit**
on reflection, if it was Monday you would say Tuesday-coming for the next day and Tuesday-next for Tuesday next week.

Posted By: Faldage Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 11:39 AM
OK. A question: Assuming it's Saturday; is Friday last yesterday? How bout last Friday?

OK, that's two questions, or either you could interpret it as one two-part question.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 11:44 AM
Assuming it's Saturday; is Friday last yesterday? How bout last Friday?
last Friday= yesterday **edit** no, actually, nobody says last Friday meaning yesterday, you just say yesterday
Friday last=Friday last week

Posted By: Faldage Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 11:50 AM
So last Friday and Friday last mean the same thing in this limiting condition?

Posted By: dodyskin Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 12:25 PM
I feel there must be a difference but I'm damned if I can figure out what it is. Come on UKns, help us out.

Posted By: Jackie Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 01:41 PM
Hoo boy, I didn't know I'd start a debate--what fun! Let me try to make myself perfectly clearer...where I would say, for ex., "I ate a chip butty (hi, Dody!) every day [last week], [last month], [or last year]", would you-all ever say, "I ate a chip butty every day [week last], [month last], or [year last]."?

Posted By: dasrex Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 02:57 PM
Britspeakers should learn to speak "english":)

(that was a joke dont't get mad)

Posted By: dasrex Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 02:59 PM
What did friday last?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 04:43 PM
Who did Wednesday last? /naughty Addams Family reference

Posted By: dodyskin Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 04:57 PM
would you-all ever say, "I ate a chip butty every day [week last], [month last], or [year last]."?

sorry, i thought bingley took care of that. the answer is

no

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 08:27 PM
boy, this has been a really big shoe!

Posted By: maverick Re: A lasting impression - 10/21/03 09:52 PM
> big shoe!

and Jackie won't have heard the last of it until we've all got our tongue around it...

my sole response is matching Bingley...

and my second part (heelo F!) is that it's predominantly a Northern saying.

Posted By: Bingley Re: A lasting impression - 10/22/03 12:50 AM
In reply to:

if it was Monday you would say Tuesday-coming for the next day and Tuesday-next for Tuesday next week.

I would say tomorrow for the next day, and tomorrow week for 8 days' time.

If today is Weds. 22nd and I want to refer to Sunday 26, for clarity's sake I would say 'this coming Sunday', and if I wanted to refer to Sunday 2nd, I would say 'Sunday week'.

Bingley

Posted By: wofahulicodoc "Why can't the English..." - 10/22/03 01:27 AM
What did friday last?

You did mean how long did friday last?
(not to be confused with how long is a chinaman)

Posted By: Zed Re: and the other shoe - 10/22/03 10:53 PM
Today is Wed the 22nd. Does "this Fri" mean the 24th or the 31st (or the 17th), and what about "next Fri", "Fri next" and "Fri coming"?
When you answer do give your continent as well just for interest.
I know this is similar to Dody's post but I'm not sure who from where answered what.

Posted By: Bingley Re: and the other shoe - 10/23/03 01:20 AM
Actually today is Thurs. 23rd, but if it were stil Weds., this Friday would mean 24th. See my post above for this coming Friday, and Friday next.

Current location: Indonesia
English variety spoken: SE England.

Bingley
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: and the other shoe - 10/23/03 02:33 AM
Ok, this is the best I can do - from an Australian with an English father, and a penchant for British comedy.

On Wednesday 22nd...
...this (coming) Friday is the 24th
...next Friday is the 31st
...last Friday was the 17th
...Friday last would also be the 17th

On Sunday 26th...
...this (coming) Friday is the 31st
...next Friday would be confusing, but I think most people would assume the 7th and plead the 5th
...(last) Friday was the 24th
...Friday last (eg I saw you on Friday; I mean Friday last) would be the 17th.

I think.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: and the other shoe - 10/23/03 02:49 PM
You're right. It does get confusing on the Sunday because it is the week-end but the beginning of the week at same time. When you say "next week" on a Sunday I find you always have to add a date because people find it a tad ambiguous.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: and the other shoe - 10/24/03 02:51 PM
On Wednesday 22nd...
...this (coming) Friday is the 24th
...next Friday is the 31st
...last Friday was the 17th
...Friday last would also be the 17th

The confusion arises from the failure of anyone to mention that "... last" or "... next" is Northern English shorthand for "... last week", "... next week."

So, in the examples above, "this Friday" and "next Friday would be the same date, (24th) but Friday next would, indeed, be the 31st.
"last Friday" and Friday last" would be the same, in that example (the 17th)

In Faldage's example (many posts back), if today is Saturday, then the day before would not be "Friday last" - that would be refering to a week previously (using the doc's example, it would be the 10th) - but, in any case (as someone pointed out - dody, I think) the day before would always be refered to as "yesterday", without fail unless someone was trying to be purposfully stupid.

Has that troubled the oily waters sufficiently?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: and the other shoe - 10/24/03 02:57 PM
... Sunday ... is the week-end but the beginning of the week at same time. When you say "next week" on a Sunday I find you always have to add a date because people find it a tad ambiguous.

For my protestant-work-ethic oriented up-dragging, it isn't ambiguous at all - just wrong
To me, of course, Monday - the first working day - is the beginning of the week; Sunday, the end, where you give thanks for your successes and ask forgiveness for your failures.

EDIT: anf today is Friday, and Friday is POETS* day - it's five of the clock and I'm off home!

*POETS = Piss off early - tomorrow's Saturday
Posted By: belMarduk Re: POETS' DAY - 10/24/03 05:16 PM
HA, me too Rhu. It's 2:14 p.m. and I bummed off work this afternoon after a meeting was cancelled at last minute (I was on my way there.)

When I left the office this morning I told them I was out for the day and that I'd be back on Monday anyway.

Yeehaw !

Posted By: consuelo Re: POETS' DAY - 10/25/03 04:10 AM
I did, too. I had to make a mad dash to the DMV so's I would have a valid driver's licence and plates for the weekend. Whoever thought of tying those expenses to one's birthday ought to be shot.

Posted By: davego Re: and the other shoe - 10/27/03 11:19 PM
And then for the impatient there's "When I wake up in the morning, the day after tomorrow will be Thursday." (posted Monday). I remember this one from childhood as way to make the school week seem shorter.

Posted By: AndrewsGhost Re: and the other shoe - 10/28/03 09:40 AM
North America

I often found that in my life, a good majority of the people were idiots. No matter what I said, they would find a way of confusing it, and so the conversation would drag on much longer than I wanted to with the specific idiot I was talking with at the time.

After dying, and when I finally cared to keep track of the days again, I just simply started using numerical dates when I referred to specific days unless it was in the week we currently were. Sometimes even then.

If others were talking about a specific day, and didn't use numbers, I would always say back to them what they had just said, for confirmation, including the numerical date.

© Wordsmith.org