Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Another breakdown in transpond communication - 09/26/03 02:18 AM
Anybody on the N. American side recognise the expression "on my tod"?

Bingley
It sounds like you're sitting on your drink. In other words, no, I don't recognize it.

Oh dear

And which of our Namerican cousins did you attack with this Bridiom for 'on my own'?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

ps. Haven't a clue what the origins of the expression might be. You?

No idea as to its origin, no.

Bingley
never heard it before, but would it come from "on my death"? as in, a "by my life" sort of thing...

just a too early in the morning thought.

Posted By: dxb Re: Another breakdown in transpond communication - 09/26/03 09:28 AM
Rhyming slang from Tod Sloan, the name of a famous American jockey. He was married to Julia Sanderson (1887-1975) an actress and singer. There is no particular logic to rhyming slang, Tod Sloane would simply have been a name that was well known in the rhyming slang forming community at the time.

dixbey, is that hogwarsh®?

e.g.

on the phone: Do you wanna go out for dinner? Candi's away and I'm all on my tod.

Teacher: Did someone help you with this?
Pupil: No, honest. I did it all on my tod.

Bingley
I wouldn't expect to hear "all on my tod", just "on my tod". I can't say it's wrong, but it's not something I've heard. And I thought it came, somehow, from Sweeney Todd, a kind of latterday Cockney conservation of expression, using both parts of the name in different places. But I have never confirmed it.

Speaking of which, I saw what passes for the Sweeney these days in action in central London last night. Cars and coppers appeared from nowhere and the Bill broke into a house off Soho Square with very little - no, let me rephrase that, no ceremony. John Thaw wasn't there, though. Well, he wouldn't be would he, being dead an' all?

> being dead an' all?

you mean he's toddled off?

This mortal coil, yes.

Posted By: dxb Re: Another breakdown in transpond communication - 09/30/03 04:32 PM
Poster: etaoin
Subject: Re: Another breakdown in transpond communication

dixbey, is that hogwarsh®?

Certainly not! Hurrumph-e

http://www.wordreference.com/english/definition.asp?en=tod

erk. I humbly bow before thee, on my tod.

Posted By: hev Re: Another breakdown in transpond communication - 10/01/03 04:44 AM
No idea as to its origin, no.

Me neither (just not sure where else to park my response)!! Were I to speak in rhyming slang, I would far more likely use "on my pat" (ie. Pat Malone), never heard of "on my tod".

Posted By: dxb Re: Another breakdown in transpond communication - 10/01/03 06:33 AM
Tod Sloan was the first to race using the "perch up on top" seat on his horses. They laughed about it at first, but he was highly successful and now all jockeys ride that way. I guess it reduces wind resistance and/or distributes the weight more favourably perhaps.

dxb, you know the neatest things! Yes, it reduces wind resistance, primarily from not having the rider's feet and legs "protruding" into (and thus interrupting) the air flow. Man, I hope that sounded good--I just made it up!

Look what I found:
TOD(D), OUT ON HIS
Construct:
Definition: Incomparable, supreme, splendid.
Use: He was out on his tod(d) as a player.
He was excellent as a player.

Derivation: 'Todd' - one's own, alone. Perhaps rhyming slang - on one's Tod Sloan. (Concise Oxford Dictionary). Alone - to work alone. (Partridge).
http://corkslang.com/term/toddoutonhis/

My dad (a cockney) and Aussies in general use "on my pat" as well as "on my todd" .

Pat Malone that is. Though who he was I have no idea (that's a deer without any eyes by the way. Shoot it and it's still no idea).

stales

(that's a deer without any eyes by the way. Shoot it and it's still no idea)

Is this a non-rhotic pun or an intrusive R pun?

Or a Southern one? No ah-deah... Gee, if you had a cold, you could say Do, a deer...

Posted By: Zed Re: Another breakdown in transpond communication - 10/15/03 11:33 PM
Jackie, you octave known better than that!

© Wordsmith.org