Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dasrex Philosophy - 09/06/03 01:47 PM
I need a "work in progress" definition of "philosophy" for my college class. the definition in the dictionary falls short of what I am looking for. Any ideas would be helpful .

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Philosophy - 09/06/03 03:30 PM
Welcome, dasrex. Can you give us an idea of what you're looking for, while I ponder?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Philosophy - 09/06/03 04:03 PM
Weak and wearily, I'll copy Guru's def.'s:
1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
5. The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
6. The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
7. A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
8. A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.

Welcome aBoard, dasrex. Me, I'd just go with #8. But then, I don't have a class.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Philosophy - 09/06/03 04:13 PM
Philosophy is the no man's land between religion and science. (after Bertrand Russell)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: weak and weary - 09/06/03 05:34 PM
Jackie, how POEtic!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/07/03 04:31 AM
The phlogiston before the fire.

And welcome, dasrex. Somehow I think you'll fit right in with our Band of Merry Wordsters here!

Posted By: maverick Re: Philosophy - 09/07/03 09:29 PM
4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.

Perfick.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/07/03 10:04 PM
Perhaps I should amend my post to this analogy:

Philosophy is to thought
as phlogiston is to fire.

Posted By: Jackie Re: weak and weary - 09/08/03 12:44 AM
how POEtic!

Posted By: wsieber Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 06:27 AM
Give me the Archimedean point - and from there we shall define philosophy..

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 08:24 AM
> the Archimedean point

Are you not getting the cart before the horse? Surely this is a fairly new product of philosophical thought despite it's grounding in old Greek philosophical imagery. If one wants to know what 'philosophy' is, then one best learn who came up with the word and why though, praps that's what you were getting at. Is 'philosophy' an attempt to reflect on an overall coherence and sense of purpose we feel in life (see 'God'), despite the man-made factioning (and thus corrupting) of it? Maybe so. It's odd, for example, that a Westerner's standard way of examining and understanding an animal is to first kill it and dissect it - so as to see what it is made of. I don't think many secular thinkers are very comfortable with the notion that in attempting to explain things you will perpetually retreat from, or 'kill' direct truth, but this notion is, or should be, self-evident to those who are religious, for to question the 'totality' becomes redundant when you evoke the notion of God. But isn't God then too totally redundant? For distilled into a word it becomes a corruption of 'true' God so-to-speak. What a funny quandary!
Clearly to argue that our theoretical thinking is in any way neutal or absolute would be a dificult task, as the Archimedean Point, erm, points out. But doesn't this therefore defeat the whole purpose of philosophy? No, it just gives thinkers more to talk about.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 09:44 AM
But doesn't this therefore defeat the whole purpose of philosophy? By no means! We just should be aware of the distinction between the purpose of philosophy and the purpose of defining it. There is always a latent risk (as with "science") of using such a definition to devalue a disliked variant of the endeavour.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 10:17 AM
The worthless maunderings of those who believe that if it works in practice but not in theory something must be wrong with the practice.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 10:29 AM
The worthless maunderings of those who believe that if it works in practice but not in theory something must be wrong with the practice.

Perfick!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 11:09 AM
The quote in today's Word is apt for this thread:
To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to
found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates,
a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust. -Henry David
Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

Posted By: dasrex Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 11:40 AM
The greek word for philosopher (philosophos) connotes a distinction from sophos. It signifies the lover of wisdom (knowledge)as distinguished from him who considers himself wise in the possession of knowledge.This meaning of the word still endures:the essence of philosophy is not the possession of truth but the search for truth,regardless how many philosophers may belie it with their dogmatism, that is, with a body of didactic principles purporting to be definitive and complete. Philosophy means to be on the way. Its questions are more essential than its answers,and every answer becomes a new question. (karl jaspers)

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 11:45 AM
.This meaning of the word still endures:the essence of philosophy is not the possession of truth but the search for truth. . . Its questions are more essential than its answers,and every answer becomes a new question.

"You just let the machines get on with the adding up," warned Majikthise, "and we'll take care of the eternal verities thank you very much. You want to check your legal position you do mate. Under law the Quest for Ultimate Truth is quite clearly the inalienable prerogative of your working thinkers. Any bloody machine goes and actually finds it and we're straight out of a job aren't we? I mean what's the use of our sitting up half the night arguing that there may or may not be a God if this machine only goes and gives us his bleeding phone number the next morning?"

RIP DNA.

Posted By: dasrex Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 12:16 PM
Nietzsche warns us in philosophy:"whoever fights with monsters should see to it the he in the process does not become a monster.and when looking to the an abyss ,the abyss also looks into you."

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 12:23 PM
>Nietzsche said

A whole lot of things this untermensch can't be bothered trying to wrap his head around. The quote you supplied however, is so well-known that even I understand it. I don't understand its relevance as a reply to my post, but.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 12:25 PM
regardless how many philosophers may belie it with their dogmatism - yet he still calls them philosophers: that's what I meant with the difficulty of definition.

Posted By: dasrex Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 01:27 PM
sjmaxq It is interseting to see you use "philosophy" a philosophy you nodoubt devoloped to doubt philosophy.

Posted By: dasrex Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 01:49 PM
You could say that every philosophy defines itself by its realization?

Posted By: dasrex Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 02:05 PM
thank you everyone for posting it has been a great help ... thanx sjmaxq for making me think !

Posted By: Faldage Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 03:59 PM
Then there's Ambrose Bierce's succinct definition:

PHILOSOPHY, n.
A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

Posted By: maverick Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 07:08 PM

Perfick!

yeahbut®

even more perfick as a description of precriptivism in linguistics

Posted By: Faldage Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 07:12 PM
a description of precriptivism in linguistics

Bingo! mav. That's wherefrom I stole it from myself.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 08:31 PM
>sjmaxq It is interseting to see you use "philosophy" a philosophy you no doubt devoloped to doubt philosophy.

In the immortal words of Manuel, "¿Qué?"

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/08/03 08:36 PM
PHILOSOPHY, n.
A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

Even better, thanks F. I quite like this, also from the Devil's Dictionary:
PERIPATETIC, adj.
Walking about. Relating to the philosophy of Aristotle, who, while expounding it, moved from place to place in order to avoid his pupil's objections. A needless precaution -- they knew no more of the matter than he.

Posted By: jmh Re: Philosophy - 09/11/03 09:04 PM
"To ridicule philosophy is really to philosophize."

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/11/03 09:24 PM
"To ridicule philosophy is really to philosophize."

"Damned if I do, and damned if I don't". That really does sound like typical philosophical bs.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Philosophy - 09/11/03 10:37 PM
The ineluctable in pursuit of the ineffable ...

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/11/03 10:47 PM
>The ineluctable in pursuit of the ineffable ...

Or, moving from Oscar to Douglas(again): "a load of useless bloody loonies."

Posted By: maverick Re: Philosophy - 09/11/03 11:10 PM
> useless bloody loonies

yeahbut®

Keeps 'em from doing something dangerous!

Posted By: wsieber Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 05:45 AM
You can check out any time, but you can never leave...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 10:33 AM
doing something dangerous!

Yeah, like sanitising telephones.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 11:18 AM
I am as I am not.

--Heraclitus

Posted By: dasrex Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 01:32 PM
sjmaxq in the immortal words ok lenin "ïðèäóìûâàòü"

Posted By: maverick Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 01:34 PM
> I am as I am not.

--Heraclitus

"I ham as I ham knot"
-- Miss Piggy

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: OK Lenin - 09/12/03 01:40 PM
ïðèäóìûâàòü

I don't guess this board's software recognizes Cyrillic, huh.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 04:59 PM
"I ham as I ham knot"
-- Miss Piggy

Without injustices,
the name of justice
would mean what?

--Heraclitus

Check...okay, mav, your move.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 05:40 PM
Without darkness there would be no light.
                                         -Anon.

Posted By: tsuwm darkness, my old friend - 09/12/03 06:05 PM
"Weather forecast for tonight: dark."
- the hippie-dippie weatherman

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/12/03 06:09 PM
Without Aspness there would be no Faldage.
.......................... --Anon

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: invisible writing - 09/12/03 06:56 PM
"Only the hand that erases can write the true thing."

--Meister Eckhardt

Checkmate. All of ya.

Oh, and...

"Eight ball, corner pocket."

--Minnesota Fats

Posted By: tsuwm Re: checkmate - 09/12/03 06:58 PM
patzer!

Posted By: Faldage Re: invisible writing - 09/12/03 07:00 PM
Checkmate

I don't think so.

The way that can be spoken is not the eternal way.

-Tao Te Ching

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: invisible writing - 09/12/03 07:17 PM
bada-bing, bada-boom
- Andrew Dice Clay

Posted By: Faldage Re: invisible writing - 09/12/03 07:22 PM
bada-bing bada-boom

I reckon that trumps your checkmate, Juan.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: invisible writing - 09/12/03 07:28 PM
bada-bing, bada-boom
-Rosie O'Donnell (well, that's where *I first heard it)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: invisible writing - 09/13/03 01:35 AM
bada-bing bada-boom

I reckon that trumps your checkmate, Juan

Oh, yeah?...well, hell, watch this!

bada boom, bada bing!

AND...double checkmate:

"Just as the river where I step
is not the same, and is,
so I am as I am not."

--Heraclitus

"No-thingness"

--Alan Watts

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/13/03 01:52 AM
And, Max, my good sir, however you try to wrangle it, the process of ponderous thought is upon you...if you're wallowing in the perception of pure intellect, pure thought, clear thought, alas!...that is the philosophy of Descartes! And if you're claiming the process of ponderous thought is useless, that's nihilism! And if you're asserting that the process of thought is not necessary at all, that is the here-and-now of existentialism...or the heart of Zen! And if you're simply claiming 1 + 1 = 2, well that goes back to Pythagorean numerology and all its philosophic computations and connotations!

I think, therefore I am.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/13/03 02:09 AM
Where did I say that I had any beef with philosophy? Philosophers, now that's a whole nother story.
It also appears that you are making a very ssignifcant extension of the term "nihilism", which M-W tells me is:
1 a : a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths

That definition is, as I read it, a long way from the use to which you put the word nihilism. Especially since most schools of philosophy could be lumped in under the second option above. I like questions, a lot. What distinguishes me from most philosophers, however, is that I am not repelled by, nor afraid of, the idea that some questions may actually have answers. Nor am I consumed by a need to pontificate simply for pontification's sake. Think Bart's beautiful response to "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" - now that was a Zen moment!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/13/03 02:29 AM
Thanks, Max...I knew you'd come around to a *way of thinking.

And, yeah, I extended the Nile in nihilism a bit, just to draw you out.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Philosophy - 09/13/03 07:35 PM
the process of ponderous thought

That some idiot has felt obliged to babble senselessly about something does not infect that thing with senselessness.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Philosophy - 09/13/03 08:32 PM
>That some idiot has felt obliged to babble senselessly about something does not infect that thing with senselessness.

Which is kinda why I made the distinction I did.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Philosophy - 09/13/03 10:15 PM
re: above +board ad infinitum

the more i know, the less i understand

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Philosophy - 09/14/03 01:29 AM
the more i know, the less i understand

Yes, and the more I know, the less I stand under.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Philosophy - 09/15/03 11:52 AM
The trouble with loving wisdom is that it hardly ever loves you back.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Philosophy - 09/15/03 01:08 PM

I think philosophy should be considered a proper subset of the broad category of MSU, making feces up.

I suspect it's not coincidence that Jacque Derrida reads like Edgar Cayce, and Martin "the nearness of the farness" Heidegger like some stoner at a Zappa concert.

k

© Wordsmith.org