Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Beats Bovarism - 12/06/00 09:52 PM
I am having difficulty with today's word bovarism. I understand the definition, but the example of it's usage was a bit mystifying. I am unsure how I would use this word appropriately. Would someone please give me another example of how to use this word in a sentence?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Bovarism - 12/06/00 11:40 PM
Welcome, beats, nice to have you with us. Sorry I can't help you, but for some strange reason, I feel impelled to say, "don't have a cow, man!"

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 02:21 AM
1934 T. S. Eliot Eliz. Essays, I do not believe that any writer has ever exposed this bovarysme, the human will to see things as they are not, more clearly than Shakespeare. 1936 A. Huxley Olive Tree, The French philosopher, Jules de Gaultier, has said that one of the essential faculties of the human being is ‘the power granted to man to conceive himself as other than he is’. He calls this power ‘bovarism’ after the heroine of Flaubert's novel Madame Bovary. Ibid. People have bovarized themselves into the likeness of every kind of real or imaginary being. Ibid. Realizing, if only in words, his bovaristic dreams. 1952 H. Levin in Ess. in Crit. If to Bovarize is simply to daydream. Ibid. An all-pervasive state of mind: Bovarism.

(or you could read Madame Bovary, for the real thing : )

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 03:04 AM
but for some strange reason, I feel impelled to say, "don't have a cow, man!"

Max, maybe even cows get to dream of a bigger existence than the twice daily trek to the milking shed and the once-a-year romp with Jim the artificial inseminator ...

Posted By: Bingley Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 04:15 AM
In reply to:

1934 T. S. Eliot Eliz. Essays, I do not believe that any writer has ever exposed this bovarysme, the human will to see things as they are not, more clearly than Shakespeare. 1936 A. Huxley Olive Tree, The French philosopher, Jules de Gaultier, has said that one of the essential faculties of the human being is ‘the power granted to man to conceive himself as other than he is’. He calls this power ‘bovarism’ after the heroine of Flaubert's novel Madame Bovary. Ibid. People have bovarized themselves into the likeness of every kind of real or imaginary being. Ibid. Realizing, if only in words, his bovaristic dreams. 1952 H. Levin in Ess. in Crit. If to Bovarize is simply to daydream. Ibid. An all-pervasive state of mind: Bovarism.

I notice each of the sources explains Bovarism for their readers. Does this mean that each thought of it as a nonce word they were creating rather than as using a word that was already part of the lexicon?

Bingley

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 04:36 AM
...or that it was so rare as to require glossing each time it was used.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 06:46 AM
In reply to:

but for some strange reason, I feel impelled to say, "don't have a cow, man!"

Max, maybe even cows get to dream of a bigger existence than the twice daily trek to the milking shed and the once-a-year romp with Jim the artificial inseminator ...

Undeniably. I guess this thread'll larn me good not to go making strained bovine references to The Simpsons in the august, rarified atmosphere of AWADtalk.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 09:45 AM
Max said, "Duh!": Undeniably. I guess this thread'll larn me good not to go making strained bovine references to The Simpsons in the august, rarified atmosphere of AWADtalk

Me, too. At least I think it was The Simpsons I was referring to.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 03:52 PM
>Max said, "Duh!"

just a pedantic observation: if you're talking Simpsons, shouldn't that more properly be "D'oh!"?

postscript: http://www.angelfire.com/nh/doh/
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Bovarism - 12/07/00 06:00 PM
tsuwm comments, pendantically: just a pedantic observation: if you're talking Simpsons, shouldn't that more properly be "D'oh!"?

No argument. I speak, read and write the Zild version of English and only understand spoken Simpsonese. I must defer to all Simpsonese scholars in good standing ...

© Wordsmith.org