Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy scrins - 06/17/03 12:06 PM

Sam's world was a dark, damp maze of rakes and scrins thirty feet under ground.

(Sam's occupation was a miner)

Posted By: alexis Re: scrins - 06/18/03 04:54 AM
I can't help thinking that maybe Year of Wonder is just too hard a book to try reading!

i found this with the help of Our Friend Google:

Generally the mineralisation history of these deposits is complex, with successive phases breaking up and re-cementing the existing minerals to produce a brecciated ore body. Locally the fissure fill deposits are known as Rakes and Scrins, with Rakes occurring in large fissures, and Scrins filling smaller cavities and limestone joints.

Posted By: of troy Re: scrins - 06/18/03 12:31 PM
actually, the meaning of most of the words are understandable, it is just the words themselves that are new..

that is why i am including a sentance from the book, and not just the word..what is interesting about the book, is that there are so many words that are new to me!

i have looked up these words, i know there meaning specifically now, not just generally, i am just sharing them. with the emerald isle WAP (WordAPalozza) going on, i thought posting might be 'slow' and thought it would be fun to add some of the words i came across just this past week!

Posted By: dxb Re: scrins - 06/18/03 01:15 PM
And thank you very much for the interest you have provided! I've made some fascinating excursions.

Posted By: alexis Re: scrins - 06/19/03 01:40 AM
of troy - sorry if it came across like I was trying to tell you the meaning - I had no idea what the word was so looked it up, and thought I'd post that in for others' edification! And to me, it really goes sound like too hard a book to read I get a bit lazy sometimes.

Posted By: wwh Re: scrins - 06/19/03 01:59 AM
Dear of troy: The posts you have made about the words in the book you are reading are to me the very best type of post. I very much wish to see many more such posts. I wish many members would make posts like these.

© Wordsmith.org